Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Have i destroyed my brand new diode?

luccax

Well, i got my new c@$!0 diode and a microboost from daguin. The soldering was so small that i prefered taking it to a tecnician...

He inverted the pins on the diode, and i turned it on with a voltage of ~4,7V...

I just realized the shit i had made now, did i burn the diode? Tomorrow i'll take it there so he can invert the microboost.

Could have I burned the microboost too?

hmm. Possibly not. Last weekend I had a 635 connected backwards for a while to a flexdrive; reversing the polarity made everything OK; it didn't kill it. Just... DO NOT have the thing powered on while you're connecting the diode. The charged output filter caps on the driver WILL Kill it; moreso than reversed polarity.

luccax

You guys really made me feel better =)

I'll now be able to sleep, even in this freaky hot night (32 celsius)...

What I've learned from episodes where I've despaired that I've destroyed the expensive diode I bought is that it is usually okay, and that you should just stick to it and really make sure it isn't dead.

HIMNL9

Well, i had one dead for a current flash (i made a mistake and shooted 10 times the current planned in it, so it's not strange if it worked only for half second :p), but also had one reversed on a linear driver, that i powered 2 or 3 times seeing that it was not working, before realize the mistake, revert it, and find that it was still working with no problems ..... so, it's all matter of luck, but i can say that you have a good 50% of possibility that it's not dead (opposite than others LDs, that instantly die when reversed) ;)

Don't get Me wrong I've killed some, but most of them "Take a Beating and Keep on Ticking"