Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

:) has this been done before?

it was like 3:30am last night and i layed down to go to sleep, but an idea popped into my head and i couldn't fall asleep after that.
has anyone made a laser with interchangable diodes?
it was be sooo easy.....i'm waiting for a pm back for 2 custom heatsinks, i want to build LOC and phr803t laser all in one, basicly everything will be contained in the heatsink, and by removing the end cap to your host you can change what heatsink.....and diode, that your using.
so in just a few seconds i could change from a long open can to a phr803t.

Ace82

Regarding your late night/ early morning idea, yeah, that's happened to me plenty of times! :p

And I've seen something similar, and there has been a couple people who've made multiple lasers in one, but it doesn't seem as practical or as cool as building the complete laser... plus you have to remember the power supply difference... :-/

Ace82 said:
Regarding your late night/ early morning idea, yeah, that's happened to me plenty of times!  :p

And I've seen something similar, and there has been a couple people who've made multiple lasers in one, but it doesn't seem as practical or as cool as building the complete laser... plus you have to remember the power supply difference... :-/

that shouldn't matter a whole lot, using rckstr driver inside the module, the driver and diode would be inside the heatsink to regulate the current when you change them, and as long as you supply atleast 7.4v it would be enough to power LOC or a phr803t?

...right?

Switch

Yea, you'd basicly just have interchangebla batteries because the heatsink, diode, collimating lens and driver have to be replaced, that's almost the whole laser.I think kenom made something like this, and someone else too that I can't remember.Heck, even my lasers can do that, but I like to have a battery tube for each :D

but the lens module driver diode and heatsink will all be one object that you just slide into the end cap of the host

Switch

Mohrenberg said:
but the lens module driver diode and heatsink will all be one object that you just slide into the end cap of the host
Ok, I don't get it....How do you put the diode in the end cap? :-/ The point I was making is that the "one object" is basically a completed laser, it just needs batteries, so mind aswell have batteries for both instead of having to change them between 2 lasers :-/

Switch said:
[quote author=Mohrenberg link=1231189576/0#5 date=1231190517]but the lens module driver diode and heatsink will all be one object that you just slide into the end cap of the host
Ok, I don't get it....How do you put the diode in the end cap? :-/ The point I was making is that the "one object" is basically a completed laser, it just needs batteries, so mind aswell have batteries for both instead of having to change them between 2 lasers :-/[/quote]

i guess we can look at it your way, but i think it would be cool to have one host, and 3 or 4 different lasers that i can stick into it, instead of having 3 or 4 reglar lasers i could have one in a case with a few attachments......i just think it would be cool

I think Kenom and Dave built a few lasers like this a while ago :cool:

GooeyGus said:
I think Kenom and Dave built a few lasers like this a while ago  :cool:

i think i'm going to try it, and possibly sell them, i figure i can make a phr803 and LOC and possibly a green, and sell them for around $200 or so,

which would be great, would be like buying 3 nice lasers for only $200
i haven't put much thought into green, but i figure it would cost about $160 for LOC and phr

EDIT: i was looking at milos post, and it's pretty much the same idea, so i'll prob scrap the idea of making them to sell for now, don't want to pull a jake21 on him.

but i will def. try building it to see how it works out.

Not a good idea.  You'll have to change the focus for each beam, and if those diodes are from a Sony PS3, the LDs inside are not very powerful.