Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has anyone noticed...

ped

These 445nm A140 diodes are bomb proof??

Ive just accidentally run mine at 2.67A for two minuets from my (pooly adjusted) bench power supply, i was happily frying sparklers (try it!) and noticed the heatsink was getting warmer than usual...i quickly limited the current back to my normal 1.2A with no detrimental affects to the diode...astonishing....try doubling the current to your LOC 650nm , see how far that gets you.

Crazy

I wouldn't risk a 50$ diode just to see what would happen.

Edit: Read it wrong he was just pointing that his diode dint take a hit. But not sure anymore.

Last edited:
Yes 1.2amps but not 2.6amps. Also recommending someone to double there LOC 650nm is just plain Wrong. You will Most likely blow your diodes. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think he was telling anybody to run their LOC at twice the rated current. He was saying the LOCs aren't nearly as tough and wouldn't survive at 2x it's rated current.

I don't think he was telling anybody to run their LOC at twice the rated current. He was saying the LOCs aren't nearly as tough and wouldn't survive at 2x it's rated current.

Oh i see :) Read it wrong. Edit post above thanks for pointing that out to me :) I was confused between when he said "try it" and the "See how far that gets you".

Last edited:

ped

Yeah sorry for the confusion, of course i wasnt advising anyone to run thier LOC's at double the current haha.

Just tried the diode again, absolutely perfect...what it burnt before it burns now...mental.

Just tried the diode again, absolutely perfect...what it burnt before it burns now...mental.

You say that the "LD" is absolutely perfect...
I hate to throw a damper on that... but you really don't know
unless you took a Beam power reading at XXXX mA before
the accidental 2.6Amps into the LD.... and another identical one
after the 2.6 Amp event...
Your eyes are not a Laser Power Meter of any known precision...IMO
Neither is material burning....

Your diode may have suffered some degradation....:undecided:

Jerry

Last edited:

ped

obviously.

Ive undoubtedly shaved a fair number of hours off its lifespan.