Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Harvesting / Teardown of the Pico1 Projector - 450nm, 640nm, + non-DPSS Green

Sure, that would make these 530nm greens, I suppose. But it's not enough of a difference that the wavelength collectors would want it. Or maybe it would! Who knows?

The cool thing is that PPLN is VERY easily temperature tunable to match wavelengths as long (HEAT) as about 1500nm and as short (COOL) as about 840nm giving you a range of deep carmine red to periwinkle blue. BUT... sadly DBR diodes are rock solid in wavelength. Getting access to the PPLN non-destructively would probably require x-raying the assembly and near certain destruction of the original DBR 1060nm diode. The good news is that 1500, 1350, 1159, (telecom diodes) 980, (long wave EDFA pump) 976,(Yb glass FA pump) 915, (short band EDFA pump) and 880nm (pump wavelength for Nd:fiber laser amplifier), DBR diodes are rather cheap on the surplus market. Imagine all the colors.

Sign me up for a doubled 1159nm. :san:

Last edited:

rhd

Nice job! Is 455nm wavelength confirmed?

Sort of -

What IS confirmed, is that this blue lases at aproximately 10nm higher than a typical KasEO A130 diode (our typical diodes...I'm intentionally avoiding calling them 445s)

When I measured the wavelength of a KasEO A130 diode at 447nm, this diode from the Pico1 measured at 457nm

Here's the blue from this PICO projector, in the middle of a "445" KasEO and a 473nm DPSS, through a diffraction grating.

33471d1309930076-confirmed-osram-plt4-new-blue-wavelength-2011-07-05-22.10.13.jpg

http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/confirmed-osram-plt4-new-blue-wavelength-65070.html#post934283

One problem with this that I see is the even the 445 diodes are all over the place. Comparing known wavelengths like the 473 like you did gives better results.. however i've gotten 445's that have been 10nm apart. I have some that are right around 440, and one that's like 451.. (which is going in my projector. :D )

Last edited:

rhd

One problem with this that I see is the even the 445 diodes are all over the place. Comparing known wavelengths like the 473 like you did gives better results.. however i've gotten 445's that have been 10nm apart. I have some that are right around 440, and one that's like 451.. (which is going in my projector. :D )

Even if the A130 in my comparison was 440nm, the Pico diode plotted dead between it and the 473. So even with the A130 measuring 440nm, you'd be looking at ~456 for the Pico diode. If the A130 was 451nm, then you'd be looking at somewhere around 461 nm for the Pico.

So it's pretty safe to peg this diode in the 456 to 461 nm range, with somewhere around 457 being my best bet.

I can see a slight variation with .457 Mag in your pics. Best to watch a HD movie and compare.

Are LD1 - 3, three or four pin layout? Output data availlable yet?

Thank RHD, Nice little discovery!

rhd

I can see a slight variation with .457 Mag in your pics. Best to watch a HD movie and compare.

Are LD1 - 3, three or four pin layout? Output data availlable yet?

Thank RHD, Nice little discovery!

I must admit, I don't quite follow your question. Can you rephrase?

Helios

Is there any reason more people havent done this? $170 for a 635 and a new wavelength all together but a unique green. Seems like we should see more of this. I might have to take the plunge.

Theres a new projector with a claimed 50% light output increase!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJe1tzY0Jo

Last edited:
Maybe it's just due to the fact that to acquire one would be to destroy a brand new item, compared to getting an old or used item for a smaller price.

Also may ask how you guys figure out that a particular projector or tv uses lasers, instead of some kinda of color wheel be it mechanical or electronic or even LED?

Last edited:
Simple. either they say they use lasers, or people take them apart and look.

It's a shame the WX+ is $300. I'd be interested in seeing how different the optical block is, and if it still used a direct doubled green or actually might be one of the first devices to have one of the much discussed green diodes.

Last edited:

Helios

Simple. either they say they use lasers, or people take them apart and look.

Yes that and when you start to see the diodes pop up for sale and you can tell they have been harvested (this is what happened with the 445nm diodes)

Thanks for reply, I thought that stating it uses lasers might be teh case, but I figured a company would want to keep a "process" a little more proprietary, or at least keep their competitors guessing a little bit more, or at least until somebody opens one up.

Last edited:

Helios

Thanks for reply, I thought that stating it uses lasers might be teh case, but I figured a company would want to keep a "process" a little more proprietary, or at least keep their competitors guessing a little bit more, or at least until somebody opens one up.

But think about how high tech and fancy the words "Laser Projector" look to the general public. Thats partially why.

rhd

This whole line of inquiry makes no sense to me -

It isn't a secret what general type of technology different devices use...projector manufactures have never hidden this type of information.

"The XYZ projector, with mystery light source"

That's ridiculous. Companies always tell you what the technology is that they're trying to sell you. The answer to the original question of how we know a device uses lasers, is WE READ. I don't get how this is even a question ;)