Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Handheld Co2 Laser Project

twenglish1

Here's the latest project I have been working on, haven't seen it done very often, a handheld Co2 laser, purchased a 50watt tube, and been working on putting together the control box for it, using a 12v motorcycle battery and a 500watt inverter to power the electronics and laser power supply, added a digital current meter, and using an arduino to monitor water temperature, will be using a 10k potentiometer to adjust output power and the arduino will also be measuring this value, currently waiting for a new laser power supply, had a little incident with a flash over on the high voltage side and it damaged the control input, so now I always get high voltage out anytime the supply is powered. Will continue to post updates

Attachments

• 20220717_212055.jpg
    20220717_212055.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220717_212404.jpg
    20220717_212404.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220717_212527.jpg
    20220717_212527.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 11

extremeodd

You are absolutely mental, and I love it. Can't wait to see it works out, just always keep in mind that items that normally are nonconductive can be strangely conductive when multiple kilovolts are involved.

If I hadn't already purchased all of the v channel extrusions, timing belts, etc to make a co2 cutter/engraver I would do something similar since the 40-50w tube I snagged was only $80 off amazon warehouse.

twenglish1

Yes, definitely one of my more crazy ideas that's for sure. That flash over incident I mentioned in the original post was exactly that, I completely overlooked the location of the high voltage lead from the power supply being so close to the mounting screw of the terminal strip, i will be removing more of the screw terminals and moving the HV line to the middle of the terminal block. But anyway I had since added another switch somewhere below the terminal strip to activate the laser. Flipped it on to test it and it arced from the HV line on the terminal strip to the mounting screw, through my hand (outside the case but near said screw) and finding ground through the switch into the laser power supply control input that the switch was wired to. It was not a pleasant experience, and definitely on par with a jolt from a cars ignition system, if not worse.

Definitely sounds like a cool project building the CNC cutter, and sounds like you got a really good deal on the laser tube! I paid about $160 for mine