Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Guy points green laser pointer at guy with camera

Havnt been on the forums in awhile but when I saw this I was very disturbed that someone would intentionally do this. I'm always very cautious when using ANY laser pointer so when I see things like this my first thought is these are the ppl that ruin it for others.

Nobody else get the feeling that the camera operator is a giant DB who just wants to make a scene and get attention online for doing so. Sure it's not against the law to film people working in a public place etc. - Still a dick move if they ask you (3rd person plural) to stop and the only reason you continue to do so is because you're trying to elicit online attention... Some people should get better hobbies.

That aside, it goes without saying that pointing a laser at another person, animal or someone else's property is stupid and potentially dangerous.

GSS

Nobody else get the feeling that the camera operator is a giant DB who just wants to make a scene and get attention online for doing so. Sure it's not against the law to film people working in a public place etc. - Still a dick move if they ask you (3rd person plural) to stop and the only reason you continue to do so is because you're trying to elicit online attention... Some people should get better hobbies.

That aside, it goes without saying that pointing a laser at another person, animal or someone else's property is stupid and potentially dangerous.
Bingo well said..
I can't believe I watched this moronic video from a loser wanna be film maker..
That's 20 minutes of my life i'm not getting back:(

Last edited:
I had the same impression, that guy recording people there was being a major dick.

Hi
I say take that laser and stick it were the sun doesn’t shine he will get the point
Rich:)

Just want to shed some light on the situation. The cameraman is part of a community called first amendment auditors. Apparently they go around to public buildings and record the workers to see if they will allow them to record in public places. It's similar to the 2nd amendment community where they walk around with guns where it legal. We dont have to agree with what they do but its NOT illegal. The guy pointing a laser will most likely be fired and have to pay the cameraman some sort of restitution. I guess this is the world we live in nowadays

I wouldn't like having someone come in and harass me with a camera, legal or not.
I agree. It's got to be very frustrating. I kind of look at these ppl like the ppl that throw themselves on the floor and blame the establishment for not having a wet floor sign posted. Our laws should better protect the employees but until that happens this will continue.

Coonie

Yeah shining the laser was a bad move but these camera guys need to get lost. They seem to hate government workers so much that they look for trouble by instigating. I think a law should be passed that if someone says they don't want to be filmed then it becomes illegal. What do you guys think?

Yeah shining the laser was a bad move but these camera guys need to get lost. They seem to hate government workers so much that they look for trouble by instigating. I think a law should be passed that if someone says they don't want to be filmed then it becomes illegal. What do you guys think?
The problem is our own Bill of Rights here in the USA. We have free speech, free press, etc. If we agree to saying that it's illegal to film someone that doesnt want to be filmed then the government would also have to take down every camera in public. Traffic lights, police stations, bus stations, they all have cameras. I think this is part of these guys argument is you can film us but we cant film you. The part I dont like is when they open these ridiculous lawsuits for $100k+ and they win. I think most ppl agree that they're intentionally provoking a response but they push you as far as they can to get you to lash out. We are all human and can only tolerate so much. Basically what it comes down to is the person behind the camera can be as unprofessional as they want but the workers need to stay professional regardless.

A few years back the police were charging people with an illegal wire tapping charge that doesn't even fit but they charged people for recording them in public and threatened people with 100 years in jail, it was nothing short of terrorist tactics to stop people from holding them accountable until one judge ruled it legal to record the police in public including audio.

So as much as I hate to see people being made uncomfortable........all they have to do is walk away and talk behind closed doors, but in public areas we all have to deal with it because we are often being recorded anyway.

Now you can record people in public and post it online but you can't monetize it without the peoples permission, so if you have any paying advertisement you need permission, but otherwise it's legal and we should all get over the notion that anything we do in public is private because there are cameras everywhere and now they are using AI and facial recognition to track us, so why not just ignore some person with a camera ? How many people are going to watch this crummy video ? We should be more concerned about big brother watching everything and not some nobody making a video that very few will ever watch.

Last edited:
I'm glad I elected not to watch the OP video. I got the gist from the comments below. It is true that there are cameras everywhere now in public, but that doesn't mean that these can be released to be used for entertainment purposes.

''
I think a law should be passed that if someone says they don't want to be filmed then it becomes illegal. What do you guys think?''

that idea has come up a LOT and that is not possible- Its only harassment if NOT in public.
Photographers have jobs to do -the press must be unfettered.
do not judge others by this jerk- like paul glad I did not wait to see it.

-BUT they do not need to get in anyone's face.. that is rude. and at some point becomes harassment/temp assault etc.. BUT hands off the cameras!!! no touch mine!!!
Sometimes I wish such vids were not linked here-- The laser haters see this and make a big deal as if we all were like that..

hk