Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GUIDE: I want my first laser!

BobMc

Hi everone!

I'm new to this forum and have been lurking around for awhile trying to figure out just by scrolling the threads what would be the company/laser for me - I live in the UK, and what I'm looking for >> "I want a -decent quality- yet fairly cheap blue-violet laser that can burn!" .....so I figured the Thor M-II is the one perhaps, although I really love the lasers and designs at Sanwu like the Spiker series.

My intention of use is not just for fun or the beauty of the beam, more the effectiveness of the beam or zoom. We have a Lot of seaguls causing havoc here and it seems a strong laser may be a good way to disperse or even shoot the birds rather than the use of a rifle. Also I intend to keep it on me as a means of self defense instead of a gun and also as a survival tool able to light a fire when needed. It therefore needs to be a strong burning laser for outdoor use, preferably waterproof, with added use as a tactical pen like item (spiky ends) in the design.

Is the Thor only available on ebay? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to come up on our UK ebay.. I wonder if I can buy via the .com one..?

I will also order the Uvex safety goggles just for safety in case of wanting to do some indoor testing etc

Ps - is there any reccomendation on these? https://www.fasttech.com/category/1620/lasers wondered if the Thor may be among them but probably not

Thanks very much!

Rens

Howdy Rens, welcome to the forum. You might want to make a post in the Welcome section and introduce yourself. (Just a thought) :)

Anyways; waterproof or water resistance are different things as I'm sure you know. Sanwu's laser are water resistance with claims of being water proof but would not want to keep them submerged for long. But they are more expensive. Can't speak good or bad about a Thor havn't bought one, hopefully someone who has can say. Self defense, well there's a on going debate about the feasibility of using them as such. :thinking:

But welcome and enjoy and be safe. Glad you got safety glasses. You need them when you burn or start fires. Their great to take on camping trips or when your traveling they put on such a great show. :)

Last edited:

Rens

Hey thank you BobMc, great info there which I will keep in mind. And I've left a post in the Welcome section to introduce myself :)

Good to hear from you!

There's really no debate about using lasers for self defense. It is illegal and you will go to jail and possibly prison. Don't even think about it. If there is a reason you can't use a firearm, then there is more reason not to use a laser. You hurt someone with a laser and you are in big trouble.

Edit: You're in the UK? You really don't want to hurt someone with a laser. As I understand your laws you are not allowed to carry a firearm. This is not a way around that.

Last edited:

BobMc

California Penal Code section 417.25a says it is not illegal to use a laser for self defense.

417.25. (a) Every person who, except in self-defense, aims or points a laser scope, as defined in subdivision (b), or a ...

Can't say about different States or different Countries, I'm sure there are different laws. :thinking:

Last edited:
California Penal Code section 417.25a says it is not illegal to use a laser for self defense.

417.25. (a) Every person who, except in self-defense, aims or points a laser scope, as defined in subdivision (b), or a ...

Can't say about different States or different Countries, I'm sure there are different laws. :thinking:

Honestly though, a firearm is a much better way for self protection. The only way you'd really stop an attacker with a laser is by hitting the eyes or causing immediate burns to the skin with a high powered laser. Even then, they might still keep running at you. A round from a firearm hitting a person is definitely going to be felt much quicker. :)

-Alex

BobMc

Honestly though, a firearm is a much better way for self protection. The only way you'd really stop an attacker with a laser is by hitting the eyes or causing immediate burns to the skin with a high powered laser. Even then, they might still keep running at you. A round from a firearm hitting a person is definitely going to be felt much quicker. :)

-Alex

No doubt Alex, a firearm is still the best protection. Thank GOD we still have the second amendment. (for now anyways) All I was showing, was that in California it's not illegal to use a laser in self defense. Not that is the best, but it is better than nothing.

Less than three weeks and I get to play with my new 2.6 watt 532nm. :D

Last edited:
No doubt Alex, a firearm is still the best protection. Thank GOD we still have the second amendment. (for now anyways) All I was showing, was that in California it's not illegal to use a laser in self defense. Not that is the best, but it is better than nothing.

Less than three weeks and I get to play with my new 2.6 watt 532nm. :D

Haha! Very exciting :)

-Alex

Using a laser to aim a firearm is not the same as using a laser for self defense. This guy lives in the UK where firearms are not allowed to be carried by citizens and he is looking at lasers as a way around this. Don't encourage this idea as a good one. It can only lead to him being locked up.

BobMc

Haha! Very exciting :)

-Alex

I know!! My heart starting to palpitate, hands are starting to shake, and it's getting worse! Starting to drool, eyes rolling back in the head, besides, I'm starting to write bad checks. Need a 2.6 watt 532nm Laser fix, and bad! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :D

Last edited:

Rens

* thanks Paul I do see where you're coming from. I was thinking more along the lines of what BobMc was saying as in it would be better than nothing ... but I see what you mean :lasergun:

By now I've learned a bit more about lasers anyway browsing around the forum, I may actually be more interested trying this laser painting/art some people here talk about lol :crackup: -haven't looked into it yet though but I would imagine it would look awesome in photography too :drool:

Last edited:
Good for you, Rens. There are so many things that can be done with lasers safely. I hope you get into the hobby enough to build your own lasers. Many here do.

Snecho

Suggestion to sticky this to the "General" section. Makes perfect sense there and more n00bs will see it. :)

Last edited:

notthatbad

Hi,
Thanks for this thread, it's helped a lot. Do you reckon I should start around the 500nm green area and move down, because I love the 405nm violet lasers and so on but I'm not sure if they're affordable without frying my (or others) eyes?
Maybe help? Other wise,
Cheers!

''Do you reckon I should start around the 500nm green area and move down, because I love the 405nm violet lasers and so on but I'm not sure if they're affordable without frying my (or others) eyes?;;

are you saying that you do not ALREADY have eye protection for the green? thats crazy--safety first-
you may find some that protect from both..
----in case you do not already know--the 405nm lasers are the most dangerous as they do not 'look' powerful==WRONG.
UV and IR are even more dangerous-- hard for most to even see. Your eyes will be 'adjusted' to see better in a dark environment-- & that adds to the danger.
The 405s we use mostly have a very 'tight' dot- & great divergence-- so more danger from farther away. it is 'concentrated'.

'frying ..eyes'? no offence but that does not make you look like you respect the danger.

not funny-

You would be wise to 'read' up on laser safety.

Please be careful-- we really do care about safety.

Get good eye protection-- You can get the right ones from a member here at 'Survival Lasers'