Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Guess whos playing with..

benmwv

Hmm well yesterday I typed a big ole reply to this thread and i just came back to see replies and it's not there! :thinking: I guess I didn't hit post lol

Basically I just typed out a rant about how windows keeps dumbing down their os's. This windows 8 looks like it was specifically designed for "everyday social-networking teenage girl phone-aholics"

I really wish they would make the standard versions of the various windows (ex. basic, home, home premium, bla bla bla) the "fluffy and puffy" ones and then cut all the crap for the ultimate or advanced versions so people who aren't completely retarded can actually use their computer properly!

From what I see here I won't be using win8. I'll just stick with win7 and Linux.

Ugh... if that is the default interface... forget it.

I'll stick to win7 ultimate.

Reverted from vista back to xp before... given what I see here, I think win 8 will be a flop. Seems like ms makes a decent os every other time they try.

Looks like they designed it for touch screen users. I guess with all the tablets coming out it would be a good idea.

Ugh... if that is the default interface... forget it.

I'll stick to win7 ultimate.

Reverted from vista back to xp before... given what I see here, I think win 8 will be a flop. Seems like ms makes a decent os every other time they try.

when you click the start button it takes you to the desktop which is the same as win 7

HIMNL9

Hm, the main problem, imho, is that vista, vienna and co are not "work-oriented" ..... or, if you prefer, not "serious-users-oriented" .....

I have the impression that they are trying to build a "OS for dummies", more than a real OS (and no, i don't mean that all the users of these OSs are dummies :p :D , i just mean that they are taking away from the user all the possible ways for control that what the PC do) ..... so you will end, basically, with a system that left you launch programs (approved from M$), play multimedia (approved from M$), use productivity programs (who said "Office Suite" only ? ..... :p), surf internet (on M$ approved sites, and with M$ approved browsers), and very few more than this ..... bleurgh :barf:

Hell, in some editions like starter kits, you can also not change the default wallpaper :p

And, ofcourse, no ways for use them for serious work ..... i had to reformat some new PCs, both from Vista and from Vienna, back to the old XP, just cause the users cannot drive their CNC industrial units (Siemens, Maho, Haas, Owens and Matsura units) ..... half day of trials with the technicians of the machine companies, installing any possible drivers and changing settings, and all the time "no machine connected" errors with the original OSs ..... installed XP, connected to the machines, and 2 minutes after all was working perfectly ..... it must mean something, huh ?

And, about stability ..... well ..... i have XP Pro, and usually my store PC is running 24/7 with at least 6 programs (sometimes 8 or 9), plus emule, plus Firefox always opened (and usually Firefox have 20 to 30 tabs opened from different pages), plus a syncserver for a workgroup in background ..... i normally reboot it each 3 or 4 weeks, otherwise it become unstable for longer times (if i left it running for more than 6 weeks, it start to not recognize new USB devices when connected, and to give occasional memory errors with Corel programs)

I tried to do the same with Vienna Ultimate, with all the patches installed, and it start to go crazy after one week all the times ..... don't open programs, close them loosing all the datas, don't recognize peripherals (or recognize them but cannot use them), and once, when i rebooted, the user account was lost (and this means you must reformat all, there's no way to turn on Vienna when you lost the user account) ..... i think this don't mean it's more stable of XP, right ? :p :D

Last edited:
^^^Sadly I can attest to the issue of having to reformat if the use account is lost.

In one of my attempts to optimize I inadvertently erased myself:eek:

Good thing that I was doing the experimentation on a clean install to begin with... otherwise it would have been a major pita... as it was took me a couple of hours to be back up and running.

Usually I restart every few days, so can't speak to long term stability.

Had have a few issues with drivers, that I never encountered in xp.

In personal use though, imho 7 is more stable.

I would have been happy to stick with xp, but actually came to like the ui tweaks of 7. Still nowhere as familiar with 7 as I was with xp though:(

HIMNL9

Oh, by the way, have you already found the hidden settings tab, in Win8 ?

2gvt0qt.jpg

Just kidding ..... or, better said, i HOPE i'm just kidding ..... :p :D

Reactions: ARG

vk2fro

Oh, by the way, have you already found the hidden settings tab, in Win8 ?

snip - image - /snip

Just kidding ..... or, better said, i HOPE i'm just kidding ..... :p :D

Theres one missing which is actually real here.

"windows needs to restart to complete installing recently installed updates". Its a nag that appears every 10 minutes or every up to 4 hours if you postpone it. It should (actually microsoft should be forced) to include an option for "I dont give a shit, quit nagging me, I'll reboot when I'm ready to".

That and the bloody security centre - damn that things annoying. You just finish installing windows 7. "you dont have an antivirus installed". "Set up windows updates". "Your antivirus is out of date". nag nag nag.

First service i disable is that one, closely followed by the nagging firewall and windows defender. Closely followed by the "windows activation", which gets patched, even though its a legit copy. Last thing I need is windows deactivating it self for some stupid reason like changing hardware. I also closely monitor what updates are installed and deselect and HIDE any updates that may undo any changes I have made; including the ones that deal with the activation/firewall/security centre services.

Its my computer, and I will control what, how and when a process or operation does it thing, including clicking on "I do not agree. Continue anyway" to EULA's :p

Last edited:

rhd

vk2fro:

You almost got a +1 from me for:
"Its my computer, and I will control what, how and when a process or operation does it thing..."
Amen to that. It is downright obnoxious of Microsoft to force me to click Postpone every 4 hours when I don't want to restart on their schedule. There's a hack to turn that off, but I've never been able to make it work.

However, you lost me with your conclusion to that sentence:
"...including clicking on 'I do not agree. Continue anyway' to EULA's :p"

You have every right to click "I do not agree. Cancel installation." But IMO if you don't want to agree to the terms of a software license, then you can't use the software. Software designers need a way to (amongst other things) contract out of liability for your misuse of their software. If EULA's allowed you to disagree, yet still move forward with usage, you'd be usurping that ability from the developer. I'm pretty sure that if you didn't agree to a EULA, but found some hack and/or technical way to move forward with the install, you would still be found to have agreed to the EULA.

It's like signing your signature upside down, or adding an additional letter - it probably doesn't void the agreement ;)

Last edited: