Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Guess our new products! - Sanwu Lasers

An auto cycling RGB laser pointer would be very noval to own, nothing like that until this one. A pointer which can do that and selectable to make any hue possible with RGB would be my dream, only concerns are how well the beams stay together for a distance and the divergence.

hoo7h

Hi Podo,

Will the 3x beam expander work on any laser that uses a 12mm module? The host is flat from the front (where the diode opening is), so there are no protruding pieces that obstruct screwing another piece.
Also, what is the difference between M9*0.5 and the stainless steel adapter?

Podo, just take my money already, you already have me sold on one :p

Cool to see the auto cycling mode. Though I think I would mostly end up using the adjustable R-G-B knobs, but it would be cool to see.

Radim

Podo, just take my money already, you already have me sold on one :p

I see it the same. :D Still I'm waiting for detailed specs and price.

However, in case there is an option of DPSS version (even custom built), I would strongly prefer full DPSS. :drool:

Allow me to disagree.
DPSS isn't very good for modulation, the power vs. current relationship is considerably nonlinear.
It would be harder to dial the color you want, more unstable, prone to mode hopping, temperature sensitive and easier to break. Not to mention it'd be extremely hard to cram 3 sets of crystals in there.

Even though I love some of the DPSS-only colors, I'm all for diodes :)

BTW: what diodes are being used in this RGB?

Radim

Yeah, that would be issue to solve (and could make it more expensive beyond the components cost). I expect there is some smart microcontroller to control the channels, so should be issue of some feedback loops and firmware. If there are three separate modules (even low power in order of 10 mWs per module), that should be solvable problem IMO. Maybe larger head would be needed. DPSS was even used for projectors before LDs took over AFAIK. Still in some older projectors 532 nm modules can be found. Thermal stability and fragility of DPSS is not that constraining for me (just extra care is needed), however these would be not suitable for commercial purposes (I suppose low demand for DPSS). Also alignment could be ruined if the DPSS modules do not run in TEM00 at low powers.

Anyway I'm even interested in LD version.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would be issue to solve (and could make it more expensive beyond the components cost). I expect there is some smart microcontroller to control the channels, so should be issue of some feedback loops and firmware. If there are three separate modules (even low power in order of 10 mWs per module), that should be solvable problem IMO. Maybe larger head would be needed. DPSS was even used for projectors before LDs took over AFAIK. Still in some older projectors 532 nm modules can be found. Thermal stability and fragility of DPSS is not that constraining for me (just extra care is needed), however these would be not suitable for commercial purposes (I suppose low demand for DPSS). Also alignment could be ruined if the DPSS modules do not run in TEM00 at low powers.

Anyway I'm even interested in LD version.

Yup, dpss 473 was a good replacement for argons, then the 445s replaced the 473s. There's a good reason for it, especially for size and stability reasons. A lot of RGBs still use 532.

I'm sure you're well aware of how unstable your jetlasers 473 is, cramming it into a smaller space only complicates the problem. It might not be a container with enough space, but in a handheld..... That being said, cni makes the smallest dpss 473 modules and they're still about the width of a CR2, so you'd be trying to arrange a custom order for the get-go. I think a 5mW 473 module from them is around $180 in that size, and nobody here has yet been able to convince them to make it in a smaller one. 671 will be a similar issue, though I do not know the base price on that. And then you'd need the controller and feedback looks for power stability. That's what you'd be thinking about if you do plan to do something like this. Lots and lots of space. Maybe one of these would work:

DB8-SPTLAN-16-250-Lumen-Combo-Lantern-Flashlight-Mode.jpg

While it would be nice to have the rounder beams dpss offers, I'll take the diodes as well for small form factor any day. I'm hoping that sooner or later vcsel diodes get a boost in interest from manufacturers

Radim

Yup, dpss 473 was a good replacement for argons, then the 445s replaced the 473s. There's a good reason for it, especially for size and stability reasons. A lot of RGBs still use 532.

I'm sure you're well aware of how unstable your jetlasers 473 is, cramming it into a smaller space only complicates the problem. It might not be a container with enough space, but in a handheld..... That being said, cni makes the smallest dpss 473 modules and they're still about the width of a CR2, so you'd be trying to arrange a custom order for the get-go. I think a 5mW 473 module from them is around $180 in that size, and nobody here has yet been able to convince them to make it in a smaller one. 671 will be a similar issue, though I do not know the base price on that. And then you'd need the controller and feedback looks for power stability. That's what you'd be thinking about if you do plan to do something like this. Lots and lots of space. Maybe one of these would work:

[*Img]Image linked.[*/img]

While it would be nice to have the rounder beams dpss offers, I'll take the diodes as well for small form factor any day. I'm hoping that sooner or later vcsel diodes get a boost in interest from manufacturers

Definitely. Well said. I see it the same way.

The purpose, me wanting small DPSS power (the best for size - power and beam quality), is simple. RGB laser with total power 100 mW+ (green heavy, but separately regulated top power for color selection purposes) would fit perfectly into close range laserpainting.

For instant laserpaintings I would use it as three lasers in one as well as RGB. With optics mount I would have incredibly endless options to do art. If they did such as complex laser of high quality beam, they could ask 2000 bucks as proposed above in the thread. Worth for me.

It is managable and get the best rgb portable series on market. Two options (LD various variants and DPSS), multiple possibilities, exclusive Sanwu lasers.

Why not to move the hobby in that direction? Demand here is incredible for complex lasers as I see. We are mostly wanting and desiring for more than just common portable or pointer.

Edit: You really have a nice chart in your signature. Will look closer on it.

Last edited:
I have two RGB lasers here that use 532nm DPSS lasers for green. I have built PMW controllers to adjust the TTL inputs on them and I assure you they do work. I guess it really depends on which DPSS laser is used.

Hi All:

Sanwu posted a new video on their YouTube page that shows the best views of their RGB laser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8eCzQ49RVw. I love the low divergence and bright beam spot. The small size and four control rings are awesome engineering and totally stun me. I can’t wait to actually hold one of these beauties in my hand!!

-cd :drool:

NICER THAN I THOUGH. But, how do those controls work? I'm wondering if they turn some kind of optical device inside or are current controls for each color.

I'm thinking it's all digital because of the color cycling mode. Wouldn't make sense to use multiple boards if the cycling mode board is in there. My bet is those top 3 knobs hold different meanings in each mode, frequency, intensity, saturation?

One thing though... Not sure how I feel about knob 2 turning when you turn knob 1...