Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Groove 2 Driver Question

Hi,

I wanted to check in quickly to make sure I have this right.

The groove 2 driver is a linear driver. This means that the current drawn from the power source is the same current that is fed to the diode.

I ask because I do not have a test load yet and I don't want to fry my diode. I just want to set it at 350mA (this is a LPC815)

it takes 1.2v over the voltage needed for the diode itself. if your diode requires 3v to operate then you would need 4.2v going in to the driver.

Yes, I understand that this is how I figure out the voltage I need, but what I need to know for sure is if the current going into the diode is the same as the current draw from the battery.

You need to buy a testload. Ask Lazeerer he sell 3A testload for 18$

I understand that I will definitely NEED a test load for a flexdrive build, but this is a linear driver that I'm referring to here. I think somebody knowledgeable can answer my question with one word. Is the current draw from the battery the same as the output current on a linear driver?

It should be exactly the same or slightly more than the actual output of the driver (not that familiar with the Groove, so not sure if it has any noticeable current draw, itself).

Thanks Wolfman.

So I put the Groove 2 driver in "Hi mode" after it had been working quite well at ~250mA, and even when I turned the pot all the way back there was much more than 50mA going to the diode (I know cause it was bright!). Am I supposed to disconnect my LD every time I make an adjustment to the driver? It's a huge pain for me to solder these tiny pins. I guess I should use wires to make it a little easier.

Anyhow I think it ended up pushing too much current and now my diode is a weak LED. Time to make a test load...

Last edited:
No, you shouldn't EVER disconnect your diode (basically) from your driver once it's hooked up so that it doesn't get owned :p

for a linear driver you do not need a test load. but you do need a digital multimeter. so use your same voltage you will be using in your host and supply power to your driver. BUT... first make sure your dmm is in dc amp mode and the red prob is in the appropriate socket. then hook your dmm leads to the driver out put. then power the driver. and set your pot. its that simple.

michael.

Alright, well then I don't know what's up with the Groove driver because I put a solder blob on the High mode bridge, which is supposed to change it from 30mA-200mA range to 50mA-500mA range, but it was drawing upwards of 250mA even with the pot turned all the way down.

Now the diode is LEDing so I think I'm gonna take it off and do some tests to figure out what's going on with the driver.

Update: The driver seems to be fubared. I really don't know what it was I could have done to screw it up though. I'll test it again after I get my test load, but right now it's in Low mode with the pot turned down and the current thru the output is very dependent on the voltage in. It was drawing over an amp at 5 volts (ammeter hooked up to output) and it's not supposed come close to one amp.

Last edited: