Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from Greece

Hi everyone,
I'm 33 years old, I'm an X-ray tech and I live in Piraeus, Greece. I wanted to start this hobby back in 1994 when i was still in high school, but lasers were veeery expensive and the technology was not as advanced as it is today. My Physics teacher inspired me back then.
All this time I was busy with other hobbies and collections, but about a month ago i found one of these cheap grean chinese 100 mW lasers (the ones that do nothing but... point :) and i tried to open and hack it. I broke the cylinder and i couldn't make it pop any balloons... but I got stuck!
I realised that the time has come to start this hobby. Unfortunately my physics teacher died 7 years ago so he will never know...
Anyway, it's good to be among people that share the same love for all this.
In 2 days I'll have a Green 200 mW laser, and in the end of the month a 300 mW. I think it's a good start.

Welcome to the forum!

Check the links in my signature below for two of the best free sources of information regarding all things laser..

Are you the building type? Or the buying type? Doesn't matter really, just curious. If you're the building type, I have a few links I can share with you.

Back then when i first wanted to start this hobby, i was definitely the building type.
Now that i started buying 2 lasers i tought of myself as the buying type, until i found you guys. I saw the links that ElektroFreak shared above and i'm thinking about building something, as long as i have the time. And it takes a lot of time! I guess... I don't know yet...

Welcome to the forum.

Back then when i first wanted to start this hobby, i was definitely the building type.
Now that i started buying 2 lasers i tought of myself as the buying type, until i found you guys. I saw the links that ElektroFreak shared above and i'm thinking about building something, as long as i have the time. And it takes a lot of time! I guess... I don't know yet...

Nah!! I can build a laser from scratch in less then 1/2 hour. Now....with a lot of practice!

Yes, with a lot of practice... and the right equipment and parts you already have. I don't think you mean 1/2 hour including the time you need to buy stuff...

Hey man welcome to the forum! everyone here loves pictures! Do you watch Eurovision at all?

Morgan

Welcome on board DoctorGalifrean!:wave:

You're right when you mention the time input required for this hobby but you shouldn't be worried about that considering the transport in your Avatar right?!

Just one point to say right now, goggles will be a definite must for those lasers you're waiting on. You may have already sorted this out so I apologise if you have but I thought I'd mention it. Don't want to lose an eye so early on! Having said this, being an X-ray technician then I'm guessing Health and Safety are probably pretty high on your agenda already.

You're gonna love your new hobby but your wallet is gonna hate you right back! :D

Enjoy,

M
:)

Thank you all!
You are right about the goggles. The next thing I'll buy!
And when the 300 mW arrives, I'll post some photos!

Morgan

Glad you're going to get some goggles. I'd suggest to maybe confine your lasering to outside, (if you can), and away from reflective surfaces until you get suitable eyewear. Just looking at the dot of a laser that powerful without protection can cause harm and even the tiniest of reflections.... Doesn't even bare thinking about.

Outside should be much safer. Greater distance between you and the dot.

Pics are always welcome.

Have fun. But safe fun! :D

M
:)

Thank you all!
You are right about the goggles. The next thing I'll buy!
And when the 300 mW arrives, I'll post some photos!
Just so you know DoctorGalifrean, a really good place to buy inexpensive goggles is Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers
just thought I would save you from buying SUPER expensive glasses. But just remember your safety glasses are something you should spend the most money on and make sure that you have quality eye protection. Have safe and happy lasering!