Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings and introduction

Hello all,

My name is Morgan, and I'm a software developer from Dallas, Texas. I've been into "making" for as long as I can remember, and have always been interested in lasers.

Recently, I've been lurking around the forums and messing with <1mW lasers from the local Fry's and galvo systems from eBay. I've decided to take the plunge and step it up, so I have ordered my safety goggles and a 405nm laser (120mW to start with).

I'm more interested in doing stuff with lasers than building them, but I'm sure it is only a matter of time. :) Right now, the goal is to cure some UV resin/emulsion for 3d printing, etc., but I want to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can because I've grown really fond of having two working eyes!

Thanks, and hello!

Morgan

ru124t

Greetings from the loonie bin and welcome to the forum!

WHY DID YOU WAIT??

We kept a seat for you.

Sending your Texas welcome packet-

a laser geek gathering is being planned for DFW-

see 'TEXLEM' vids at youtube (and 'SELEM LASER' too)

you are near one area that does have a lot of members all things considered -so thats great- many up there with LPMs so getting a power graph is easy and free-

you can meet more us at LSLF- sending you an invite-

hak

Welcome to the LPF, Morgan! It's always nice to see fellow members in my home state. :)

There is a ton to learn here in the archives just a search query away, but you'll find the folks are quite hospitable and willing to help with questions that come up. We have everyone from casual enthusiasts to hardcore artisan laser craftsmen to basement scientists and everything in between.

Good call on picking up some safety goggles if you are going to be working with anything more than a few mWs, working around anything that could reflect the light, or any level of IR (since it's obviously sneaky). Remember that protective eyewear (made for laser protection) is purposefully constructed to correlate to a wavelength range, so the glasses you bought for your 405nm laser will not likely work equally well for a high power 638nm for example. Usually 2 ranges will do... one for the lower range and one for the upper range. That being said, be safe and have a blast!

Cheers!
/clayton

mmm

TY Kap & Commander wonder where the other LSLF are == we have 100 members but a few no longer active and some who were banned very quickly-

either some peresonal BS involving me

or spammers trying to make thier profile look better-

hak