Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

greenie recommendations please

Hello LPF... I love you guys. (I posted here some about 10 years ago, no idea what email I used, I have a job & family now and no time so I hope I can get some good recommendations from everyone without me having to put in the research time & since some of you live this stuff.)

Pretty easy I hope:

What is the best green laser I can buy anywhere for around $50 and for around $100? (Reputable sites only of course. :))

What is the best green laser I can buy from eBay for around $50 and for around $100? (Reputable sellers...)

I don't care about shipping times. 3 days or 3 weeks, doesn't matter to me. I don't care about the cosmetic appearance of the laser (size, shape, whatever).

I do care about build quality and power.

Thanks ahead of time guys (and gals).

Welcome back I guess,
I mean... you could just click on the ad to SANWU lasers (who sponsor of the forums) -> select pocket under the categories drop down which will take you to the pocket series -> select 520nm. Lens information is on their site.

https://www.sanwulasers.org/

Link to your old account?

Last edited:
If you can't put in the fifteen minutes of research time to get an answer to the often answered question, did you put in the research time to look into laser safety and the risks involved or was that going to also take too much time?

Welcome back I guess,
I mean... you could just click on the ad to SANWU lasers (who sponsor of the forums) -> select pocket under the categories drop down which will take you to the pocket series -> select 520nm. Lens information is on their site.

https://www.sanwulasers.org/

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

I was really hoping there was a default laser these days (for my needs that I listed in the OP). Someone recommended a nice laser to me here back then. As far as I remember it was around $100 and it was a website in China. I just searched my email archives trying to find the website I ordered it from at least to no avail. I could possibly take a picture of it and maybe someone could ID the laser, though I feel it might be in a generic housing...

Is there a reason you recommend 520nm instead of 532nm? Which one has better visibility?

ETA: I just checked and the drop down only has 520 so that is very good reason why you probably said 520.

Link to your old account?

I spent about 10 minutes last night trying emails and guessing the username before giving up and just re-registering. It was about 11 years ago, and I read these forums to death. I was mostly a lurker but I remembering asking some questions so I'm quite sure I had an account.

FAKE ETA: I just remembered a thread at another forum [link] I was reading at the same time so I now know it was only 8 years. July 2010. And it was likely this post specifically [link] that led me to LPF. And then I probably read every post here for a couple weeks like someone stuck in a tvtropes binge. :)

It would be nice if you introduced yourself
in the Welcome section for new members and
told us a little about your self.

It would also be helpful to the Forum members
if you also included your Global location in your
Member Profile.

Members are more likely to help someone they
know a little about..

Jerry

Okay that just screams copy and pasted. :) But yes I understand, I am (re)new here and I do not want to feel like I am invading your community. I live in Illinois in the USA. I am busy as hell with twin babies and a job without enough time for either. I apologize for not filling out my profile and I have done so know. (After registering there was something very similar to your post but the final sentence was "Or just go to the forums and start posting.") I did the latter. :) (only my second post and I'm already using too many smilies)

If you can't put in the fifteen minutes of research time to get an answer to the often answered question

Hopefully my answers above have addressed that. I am extremely busy. An associate of mine who knows I own a few lasers (from 8 years ago) asked me to find one for him. I remembered you guys and decided to seek help here before I just spend $100. I apologize and I do not want to take advantage of anyone.

In fact I just used up most of the time I will probably have today composing this post. :)

did you put in the research time to look into laser safety and the risks involved or was that going to also take too much time?

Having read basically every post of every thread on this forum (at the time) at one point in time I will never forget. It was constantly made very clear in almost every thread.

Last edited:
Hey, smallmedipack.

These days it seems sanwu is where people buy ready-made lasers. I've never done business with them but they seem to make some quality products.
Dragonlasers is still around and they are still selling the same products as they did years ago. I have always been happy with CNI quality. Their prices are much lower now than they used to be.

Sanwu offers more variety for a green laser. You can now get direct diode at 505 & 520nm. These have the advantage of greater stability in a greater temperature range than the 532nm DPSS types that you get from Dragonlasers. The DPSS lasers still have better beam characteristics when they are within normal operating conditions.

Take a look around. There is cool stuff floating around these days.

Last edited:
ETA: I spent so much time typing this post I missed RA_pierce's post. Thank you for the info.

I have spent some time just looking at sanwu as NarwhalZ suggested.

For $18 I can purchase a 304green pointer [link] that is 532nn at 100mw.

Or for $140 I can purchase a pocket series [link] that is 520nn at 150mw (or $90 for 50mw).

And like I said in the OP I don't care about size at all so this seems like a no brainer to me... Sure 150mw is more powerful but is it $18 to $140 more powerful!! :)

Perhaps what I'm not understanding is that 520nn has way better visibility than 532nn?

I again want to apologize and I do not want you guys to feel like I am abusing you as a resource. I just trust this place so I came here for help.

Last edited:

diachi

The 532nm is a low quality laser in this case, you can pick them up on eBay for $8, they vary wildly in performance, usually anywhere from 30-100mW or so. Sanwu buys them, tests them and bins them then sells them for a somewhat higher price.

The 520nm option (slightly less visible than 532) is made by Sanwu and is a much higher quality. I've got a couple of pocket lasers from them, the build quality is fantastic.

The 520nm is direct diode, so you have none of the issues commonly found with 532nm DPSS lasers.

Last edited:
ETA: I spent so much time typing this post I missed RA_pierce's post. Thank you for the info.

Personally, I'd avoid the super cheapies. I've never been happy with the quality. Of course, as you said, cosmetics aren't very important to you, though I find that cheaper DPSS lasers tend to be more unstable.

555nm is the theoretical peak sensitivity for the human eye so 532nm should appear brighter.
The advantage of 520nm is the packaging. Direct diodes are more compact, more robust to physical shock, and less sensitive to temperature changes during operation. 532nm DPSS will need to warm up when its cold and will exhibit poor performance (low power, mode switches) when it's hot.
It's also a slightly "bluer" green which may be a cool thing.

I'd say that if you want something that will last a long time and give you good performance whenever you want it, get a 520. It'll be bright and reliable.
DPSS is cheap these days but you will have to pay more for a decent one. With direct diodes, you don't have to worry about knocking crystals loose or warming it up on your butt cheeks on a cold night.

Last edited:
OK thanks for all of the info. You guys are the best.

I might pick up a couple of the cheap ones and one of the good one and then just compare.

I remember 10 years ago the thing you can test laser power with (thermopile?) was like $500. These didn't come down drastically in price over the years did they?

It would be cool if there was one available for hobbyists around $100...

Bacon

There is also those survival laser hosts (and members that machine custom hosts). You could buy a module with a driver and "slap" it in there with a wavelength and power you like after some tuning. Would recommenced a solder iron too maybe a Weller WES51 or Hakko.

Might be more than $50 in the end, but you might also have fun doing it with a better build quality. There is also some members here that can LPM those cheapy green dpss lasers (they are more fragile to bumps and drops though, and often have no IR filter if using goggles).

The guy above also sells some LPMs too

I spent about 10 minutes last night trying emails and guessing the username before giving up and just re-registering. It was about 11 years ago

11 years ago? nope...

FAKE ETA: I just remembered a thread at another forum [link] I was reading at the same time so I now know it was only 8 years. July 2010.

8 years ago ok... nope

I remember 10 years ago the thing you can test laser power with (thermopile?) was like $500.

Jumped up 2 years?

I don't even know where this year is going anymore.

There are many reviews on LPMs here. Many are at a decent price. I would expect you have the time to check out those reviews before you buy one right?

Last edited:
Still waiting on my Sanwu purchase, it's only been a week so I'll report back later. (I went ahead and just ordered two of the $18 304green pointer 532nn at 100mw. I decided I might as well see how those are first. (And compare them to my good laser from ABOUT 10 years ago.) Before I order the $140 pocket series 520nn at 150mw.

11 years ago? nope...

8 years ago ok... nope

Jumped up 2 years?

I don't even know where this year is going anymore.

Are you perhaps Sherlock Holmes? Let me know when you solve the case. :D

There are many reviews on LPMs here. Many are at a decent price. I would expect you have the time to check out those reviews before you buy one right?

Sure. Do you have any links?

Coonie

Hello LPF... I love you guys. (I posted here some about 10 years ago, no idea what email I used, I have a job & family now and no time so I hope I can get some good recommendations from everyone without me having to put in the research time & since some of you live this stuff.)

Pretty easy I hope:

What is the best green laser I can buy anywhere for around $50 and for around $100? (Reputable sites only of course. :))

What is the best green laser I can buy from eBay for around $50 and for around $100? (Reputable sellers...)

I don't care about shipping times. 3 days or 3 weeks, doesn't matter to me. I don't care about the cosmetic appearance of the laser (size, shape, whatever).

I do care about build quality and power.

Thanks ahead of time guys (and gals).

Oh you got hit with red too. Don't be discouraged by it. It happens all the time.

I don't mind.

I know how it is. People on forums are so used to trolls and lazy people that they don't expect it when someone with legit questions and no time asks for help.

Between the kids and the job I have to try and pack about 30 hours of work into a day. (I get 6 hours of sleep on a good day.) I have not been able to play video games or watch TV and movies in over 2 years.