Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser eye injuries ?

I have read the posts warning about green laser eye injuries and the suggestions to buy laser eye glasses.

Yet in many discos they have green lasers shot all over the dance floor and there are mirrors, glass eyc all over the place, Isn't that the same risk ?

T

timelord

This is a very good point when i was in Greece they had low powered lasers of about 10mw flashing all over the bar. When high powered lasers are used they have to be above head height for liquid skies etc.

Maybe your trendy clubber would object to wearing goggles as this may ruin their street cred :D :D

Not quite.

The lasers you see in clubs are a scanned beam and not a direct beam. a typical scanned beam will be in 15000 places in 1 second (15K) and therefore will impart the same energy as 1/ 15000 of a stationary beam if viewed direct for 1 second.

Crowd scanning is not permitted in the USA , but in Europe it is allowed. I have a few homemade scanners, and at max power (200mw) + at a fast scan speed , if it crosses your eyes, it is barely enough to make you blink.
Professional laser shows are very safe.

Jase

Kenom

Tallaxo. Your avatar totally disturbs me. It's absolutely facsinationg to watch but it's frightening at the same time. I've been to a club where they were using a scanner and just like it should have been it was above everyone's head.

Thanks Ken, yep it is pretty creepy, going back to scanned beams. as long as the beam is scanned fast enough , the energy imparted by a single point in the scan is virtually negligable. let me give you an example. 100mw of laser light scanned at 15K= 15000 points of light every second. that will equate to .0015 mw per point in the scan.
Providing you have a scan fail backup (ie. your mirrors stop working) then scanning is fairly safe.
What could be harmful is looking into a tunnel effect or a liquid sky , as the beam may pass into your sight many times per second on the scan. Then you have to add up all those .0015 blasts, to give you an exposure per second calculation

Jase

T

timelord

Thanks for that insight Jason i'm sure many of us have wondered about this while getting off our faces with drink in clubs and pubs :D

Timelord said:
Thanks for that insight Jason i'm sure many of us have wondered about this while getting off our faces with drink in clubs and pubs :D
Yeah right Lee ;) I usually think about the next cocktail and how bad it's gonna taste.

Jase

I doubt that. Light travels 186000 miles a sec, so is travelling much faster than any scan can. Eye damage would still happen but at a slower rate. Much like hearing damage is not noticable until much later in life.

It slowly builds up, so light is traveling much faster then any scan rate of these lasers, I bet.

These threads should be prevented from being raised to the top if they're older than, you know, a year?

A thread raised recently was over 18months old, much older than this one :)