Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Great deals on 532nm

Pman

Last edited:

Sta

Nice find! I bought a 500mW 532 for $120, from XPL. you can find my review in the reviews section.

It is indeed a great price. Actually its been priced at $240 for a while now and you can't beat $180 for the 400mW. I picked up the 400mW to save a few bucks and still metered at 440mW's. I figured saving 60 bones was worth it because the visual difference between the two isn't very noticeable. I love my Crown Up. Its my camping emergency laser we take on our multi night back packing trips on Mt. Hood. Its a massive mountain and if we ever got lost a great way to signal our location. When we register our party at the registration box I write in "Green laser on hand" so in the event they know what to look for. It almost came in handy last summer when we lost our way at 7000'. We eventually found the trail but I felt some comfort having the Crown Upgrade in my back pack.

Nice! :beer:
But what about divergence?

Here is my review of the Crown. I measured the divergence.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/nwfreefly-o-like-crown-upgrade-400mw-532nm-review-91858.html

Or to save you some time here's a quote related to the divergence.
"On to the beam and of coarse later on below the beam shots. 1.5mm(at aperture) The dot measured 6mm at 2 meters and 11mm at 7.5 meters. Im not sure if this is good or bad for a 532nm. "
I plugged in my numbers into a divergence equation and got the following;

Your laser has a divergence of
mRad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cel
It is indeed a great price. Actually its been priced at $240 for a while now and you can't beat $180 for the 400mW. I picked up the 400mW to save a few bucks and still metered at 440mW's. I figured saving 60 bones was worth it because the visual difference between the two isn't very noticeable. I love my Crown Up. Its my camping emergency laser we take on our multi night back packing trips on Mt. Hood. Its a massive mountain and if we ever got lost a great way to signal our location. When we register our party at the registration box I write in "Green laser on hand" so in the event they know what to look for. It almost came in handy last summer when we lost our way at 7000'. We eventually found the trail but I felt some comfort having the Crown Upgrade in my back pack.

Back in the 80s I lived in Vancouver, WA for three years and Gresham for another year. I always enjoyed going to the summit of Mt. Hood. There are tons of things to do there. Now, I'm back in Washington, just a little farther north now. ;)

Great find on the laser. I have a lot of 532nm laser though. I might go in for a 1 watt or higher later on. :D

(The late) Isaac Clarke told me that you could run a laser like this (500mw 532) effectively with an unlimited duty cycle because "DPSS green does not generate much heat." Is this true, or no?

Razako

(The late) Isaac Clarke told me that you could run a laser like this (500mw 532) effectively with an unlimited duty cycle because "DPSS green does not generate much heat." Is this true, or no?
A 500mw 532 probable has a 2.5W IR pump diode and then there's additional inefficiency related to the driver. I'd say they still need a reasonable duty cycle.

Last edited:
A 500mw 532 probable has a 2.5W IR pump diode and then there's additional inefficiency related to the driver. I'd say they still need a reasonable duty cycle.

Didn't think so. Thanks!

The IR output of the laser isn't too bad though, right? Or does this particular one from O-like have an IR filter

What the what!? Why on earth would he think a 2W 808nm pump diode doesn't produce heat?
The duty cycle on the Crown is 100 sec on 60 off.