Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got a new computer :D

The CPU did not have integrated graphics. But I'm actually happy the old one broke, my new one is MUCH better. It's been running all day (gaming, browsing the internet etc) and the temps have never gone up more than 10° C while gaming. And don't budge doing anything else. One time the CPU was at 5°C :D

UPDATE:

The computer broke, idk what broke but when I turned it on everything would start up but it would display nothing on the monitor so I assume it was the GPU (which mind you is the most expensive part at around $500). So I sent it back to ibuypower for a refund (they have a no hassle 30 day return policy), I just had to pay for return shipping ($100).

I got a new computer from cyberpower, exact same specs except a different (bigger) mobo, a corsair obsidian 750D (it's a monster), and water cooling (not integrated, the legit type) for the CPU, also the cpu is now clocked at 4.4GHz (which I want to overclock it more but I'm kindof hesitant to do so. It also has 4 240mm (I think) fans

It now runs at:

Idle*:

CPU: 24°C
GPU: 36°C

Under load**:

CPU: 34°C
GPU: 58°C

*On the internet
**Running Bioshock Infinite

This computer is wonderful, it is all the good of the old one, with all the problems fixed. And it only cost me $200 extra.

No offence, but listing max temps under gaming isn't the "industry standard for "under load"" - thats where things like prime95 tests come in, Bioshock won't be loading your CPU.

You should fire up prime95 and see what you get ! i'd be interested to see :)

I just finished the base setup of my build... Intel 4770K at 4.5 Ghz stable only 65 Celsius on a closed loop (h90) running prime 95 for 12h. I'm going to clock it at stock though while I wait for my GPU. Stuck between choosing a r9 290x or a 780 ti.

the r9 290x is better bang for buck, but if you are going for maximum overclocks the 780ti is a better option, especially with the ACX cooler.

The advantage of the r9 290x is you can do scripted Litecoin mining to generate a bit of cash, the nvidia chipsets really blow at this kind of thing. Personally im an nvidia fanboy and would go with the GTX780ti (i have SLI 780 SC cards) .. if you care about case temps the nvidia cards run considerably cooler.

The CPU did not have integrated graphics. But I'm actually happy the old one broke, my new one is MUCH better. It's been running all day (gaming, browsing the internet etc) and the temps have never gone up more than 10° C while gaming. And don't budge doing anything else. One time the CPU was at 5°C :D

your cpu does have onboard graphics, its just the chipset on the motherboard you are using doesn't support it (which is a good thing, as you aren't using the integrated chipset when having an independant gpu)

I OC'd the CPU to 5GHz, and turned the fan settings down for the GPU now the temps are:

CPU:
Idle 18°C
Under Load 40°C

GPU:
Idle 40°C
Under Load 60°C

Under load is with prime 95 for the CPU and Bioshock infinite for the GPU.

I just recently picked up a cheap barebones from tigerdirect for <$400, had an FX quad core in it. No need for graphics, but thought I'd try a few rounds of battlefield p4f. Handled p4f fairly well at 1280x800 and medium settings. Could see framerates dropping off in certain busy places, but still, not bad for $400. Probalby could have gotten cheaper than $400 had I picked and choosed parts as they went on sale, but thats too much work I wasn't willing to invest. Only thing not included was kb/mouse and monitor, already had a set of those to deploy.

Intel destroys AMD in the CPU market, and in the GPU market they are tied with each having different respective qualities and pro's and con's so to speak..

I have an i7 6 core 12 thread, 12mb Cache 4.4Ghz processor that beats the 8core OC'd AMD CPU's.. I also run 2 6990's made by AMD as my GPU setup for a total of 4 GPU's that I never run over 50% power or 75 degrees.. No game I throw at it can get it to use more then 50% of each GPU and even less CPU power.. I don't have an SSD tho =( just a 2TB HD.. and my RAM isnt the best, 12GB 1333Mhz..

Intel destroys AMD in the CPU market, and in the GPU market they are tied with each having different respective qualities and pro's and con's so to speak..

I have an i7 6 core 12 thread, 12mb Cache 4.4Ghz processor that beats the 8core OC'd AMD CPU's.. I also run 2 6990's made by AMD as my GPU setup for a total of 4 GPU's that I never run over 50% power or 75 degrees.. No game I throw at it can get it to use more then 50% of each GPU and even less CPU power.. I don't have an SSD tho =( just a 2TB HD.. and my RAM isnt the best, 12GB 1333Mhz..

NKO29

My 4770k beats the 8 core AMD processors by a bit, and even more so when it's overclocked. Isn't having quad crossfire just asking for issues btw? Also, I decided to get a GTX 780, and I couldn't be happier. I got a really good overclocker, with GPU boost I get 1200mhz out of the card with NO voltage adjustments, all on a stock cooler that with a medium fan fan profile never goes over 75 Celsius :D
EDIT: Plus it breaks the 10000 barrier on firestrike :)

Last edited:
Its not really quad ceasefire as two Gpus are attached to two individual pcbs only two pcbs means just dual crossfire and it works great

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

NKO29

I'm pretty sure even though they're both on the same PCB that they're crossfired. Thats why you cannot have more than 2 of the cards in one build (Quad crossfire/SLI is the max)
EDIT: Working together anyways...

Last edited:
Exactly my point, how in the hell is my ($200) processor ever going to be better than your ($900) processor? If you compare AMD vs Intel based on price it is a very different story, if nothing else they are equal.

NKO29

Mine cost me $370 AUD :) And comes with a decent GPU!!!
And no theyre not equal, Intel is FAR superior.

Last edited:
Mine cost me $370 AUD :) And comes with a decent GPU!!!
And no theyre not equal, Intel is FAR superior.

That CPU is still almost twice as much as mine, also I don't need integrated graphics so it doesn't matter how good or bad it is.

If intel is FAR superior then find me a benchmark with an intel CPU that cost's $200 (+/- $50) and performs better then the AMD FX-8350.

NKO29

Actually in AUS when I bought my CPU the AMD was only $70 cheaper. It doesn't matter if you dont need the GPU, the fact that it has it is still a win in terms of functionality and performance. The reason intel is far superior is the fact that AMD has NO processor that can come close to what the top line intel CPUs can do, price is totally irrelevant.

Actually in AUS when I bought my CPU the AMD was only $70 cheaper. It doesn't matter if you dont need the GPU, the fact that it has it is still a win in terms of functionality and performance. The reason intel is far superior is the fact that AMD has NO processor that can come close to what the top line intel CPUs can do, price is totally irrelevant.

Totally agreed.