Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got a new computer :D

Actually in AUS when I bought my CPU the AMD was only $70 cheaper. It doesn't matter if you dont need the GPU, the fact that it has it is still a win in terms of functionality and performance. The reason intel is far superior is the fact that AMD has NO processor that can come close to what the top line intel CPUs can do, price is totally irrelevant.

Price is VERY relevant when you are building your PC. That's like saying a $100,000 car is better than $10,000 because it's faster and has more features, well no shit.

It's also like a saying a $15,000 car is better than a $10,000 car because it has snow tires, but you live in Florida...

Intel's high end CPU's are better than AMD's high end CPU's, but that's like saying Ferrari 458 is better than Ford Taurus and price of the car's doesn't make a difference for the average consumer.

Last edited:
Intel beats amd in near all price ranges too though.. that's the thing. And they are more reliable I think

Intel beats amd in near all price ranges too though.. that's the thing. And they are more reliable I think
No, they don't. Find a benchmark of a $200 CPU from intel that beats the 8350. And I don't think reliability is a factor, I'm sure the CPU will become outdated long before it ever dies, either way I have never heard of Intel being more reliable than AMD or vice versa.

p.s. Price per performance AMD dominates

Last edited:
Most of those AMD CPUs listed in that list are archaic, back even when AMD was leading in the price and performance realm. I doubt those prices can even be trusted either, as finding a workable motherboard + old DDR1 and DDR2 RAM would cost you out the nose (even just the RAM).

Anyway, as for the Intel vs AMD, you could also get an i5 4670k for about $220, which is close enough to $200. Between the two, what it really comes down to is whether you favor single threaded performance, where the Intel dominates, or multithread performance where the AMD dominates. For most intents and purposes, you're going to want more single-threaded performance. Sure some games are set up for multi-threaded performance, but more often than not it doesn't make a huge difference.

Also, depending on your computing habits, the amount of power the CPU consumes can make a difference. Here the i5 shines: using 32W idle / 68W load compared to about 90W idle / 160W load on the AMD. I keep my computer on all the time, and when paying ~11 cents a kWh, it would cost me about $4.25 more per month to run the AMD CPU when idle, and $7 loaded. That's assuming I'm not overclocking too. So in about 5 months I've made up the difference in initial cost with the price of power itself.

Last edited:
It's like two moms, each with a single child, comparing which of their cars is better, mom A's lambo, or mom B's Corolla. Both accomplish the same goal. Sure, you could drop shitloads of cash on the lambo, but why bother, when you will get there in the same amount of time and effort as with the corolla? Yeah, the lambo can get to 35mph faster than the Corolla, but in the long run, most of the time you are just cruising 35mph.

Obviously Lambo > 'rolla, but not all of us can afford lambos. At least we can still drive with the 'rolla.

NKO29

Price is VERY relevant when you are building your PC. That's like saying a $100,000 car is better than $10,000 because it's faster and has more features, well no shit.

It's also like a saying a $15,000 car is better than a $10,000 car because it has snow tires, but you live in Florida...

Intel's high end CPU's are better than AMD's high end CPU's, but that's like saying Ferrari 458 is better than Ford Taurus and price of the car's doesn't make a difference for the average consumer.
You really have not understood what I was trying to say... Price is very relevant when building a PC BUT that is not what I was stating. I was stating that no matter what the price difference is, INTEL is king when it comes to processors. AMD has not come close to Intel's top line cpus therefore Intel is superior... Massively

You really have not understood what I was trying to say... Price is very relevant when building a PC BUT that is not what I was stating. I was stating that no matter what the price difference is, INTEL is king when it comes to processors. AMD has not come close to Intel's top line cpus therefore Intel is superior... Massively

I am not denying that Intel makes better CPU's, I'm just saying in the price range I got the 8350 intel has nothing close.