Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Going to make a laser but got a few questions.

Alright so I've been looking around on this site and a few others about making my own laser. There is this youtube video that got my attention that I'm pretty sure many of you have seen. It's from Kipkay with his Minimag flashlight hack.

YouTube - Laser Flashlight Hack!

So I decided I was going to make that one. However before I get started and order the parts I was wondering if instead of getting a Red laser Diode, could I get a Blue/Green/Violet laser Diode? If so, where might I find one that will fit and still be capable of buring? Also he mentions this set up should only be used as a novelty item, if you plan on using it for anything more you should get a laser diode driver. Could someone get a link to one that would work with this project? (I really don't know what to look for)

And then as I was looking on this website I found this video on how to make a buring violet laser by styropyro however some of the links to buy the peices no longer work. So where could I find the right peices to those?

YouTube - DIY: How to build a High Powered Burning Blue/Violet Laser Pointer

And Lastly which would you guys recommend I build first? Which do you think is better for starters?

Thank you SOOO much for your time and sorry for the wall of text. Also New user! Hello everyone :D

Last edited:

Which links do you want? styropyro's video is probably my favorite DIY guide, but there's a lot of choices. Look in group buys for a diode/sled, and I'm sure you could find the links for a flexdrive or rkcstr driver. No one is going to "spoon feed" you, so use the SEARCH if you have to. But I would start here: stonetek.org/shop
That's a good place to find a lot of the things you need. I would do some more reading though, it seems like you have a lot to learn. And I would personally go with the PHR.

First of all, KipKay has been rated #1 douchebag on this forum, because he is just gaining popularity on his videos , not mentioning any kind of laser safety stuff, not telling you half of things he did to make his stuff work.

First of all, forget the Maglite laser. Ain't gonna happen at your (or KipKays for that matter) skill level, no offence meant.

Now, you might be confused, what is a driver.

Simply put, it provides a constant current source for your laser diode.

LDs (laser diodes) are incredibly difficult components to work with, both electricaly and mechanically.
They have their work voltage , at which without current regulation it will pull too much current and blow out, leaving you with very expensive 1 lumen LED . :D

You will find that most basic and easy to make is LM317 current regulation circuit.
It will only require three components to build,
LM317 regulator IC
Resistor,
Capacitor.

Resistor is placed between ICs left and middle pin, and resistance is calculated by the formula:
1.25 / desired_current_in A = resistance in OHMs

So, for red laser you will need 3.15 ohms to provide 400mA to your laser diode,
For PHR bluray laser you will need 12.5 Ohm for 100mA to the bluray LD.

And so on, you can do the math youself.

Other than linear drop-down regulators, you will find that we fanatics like to power LDs from DC/DC converters, also called Boost drivers.
What they do is boost the voltage so for instance, you can power a Bluray diode (5.5 V drop), from one lithium ion cell (3.7V - 4.2V fully charged).
But you will get to that gradually, baby steps first.

You will need to buy a housign for your laser diode, those are also commonly reffered to as 'modules' ,
You pressfit your diode into them, and they hold the diode and the lens assembly in front of it, allowing you to focus the beam of LD.

Please do read through all the Sticky topics and FAQ section, you will get almost all your questions answered there, and
WELCOME
to the forum!!

Enjoy your stay here :wave:

Morgan

Hi MySNsucks923 and welcome to the forum!

Loads of info available that will help and allow what has already been posted above to slowly make sense. If you're unsure, try using the search button, (On the left, just above the first post on this, or any other, page), and look for a few key words like: Aixiz or Meredith, (both are modules). DDL, RCKSTR or Flexdrive, (all drivers). LOC, LCC, PHR, (all LDs). Hosts, (these are, well, hosts!).

That should get you familiar with some of the jargon and give you some useful information along the way.

Happy hunting and good luck.

If you get stuck then ask...

Enjoy.

M
:)

Alright guys I really appreciate the answers and I look forward to making a laser. I guess I will just drop the kipkay video and work on the other one. (I wanted that color anyway :D)
Anyway thanks again!

Alright guys I really appreciate the answers and I look forward to making a laser. I guess I will just drop the kipkay video and work on the other one. (I wanted that color anyway :D)
Anyway thanks again!

As I said before, "Kipkay, is kinda gay. He tries to sound formal, but is far from normal."