Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

goggles for eclipse?

the old .
'box w/ a tiny hole' has been used safely forever. The tiny hole works like a pin hole camera does.
Just like a lens. and safe to view the image inside the box.

len

I want to view it directly. I'm not looking for alternative solutions, I already know those. I'm just wondering if what I proposed would or would not work.

I have seen paper googles advertised on Amazon for viewing the eclipse. I don't know anything about them, but you'd think they are safe if advertised as being so. I used the pin hole trick for viewing a solar eclipse back in the early 1990s and it worked well.

Hey guys, I tried searching but no luck. Can I use my 190-540, 800-2000nm goggles OD 4 for eclipse viewing? Partial eclipse where I am? I'm guessing not, I ordered some cheap NASA certified ones.

I want to view it directly. I'm not looking for alternative solutions, I already know those. I'm just wondering if what I proposed would or would not work.

I have seen paper googles advertised on Amazon for viewing the eclipse. I don't know anything about them, but you'd think they are safe if advertised as being so. I used the pin hole trick for viewing a solar eclipse back in the early 1990s and it worked well.

Ok, here's some answers.

Don't use Laser goggles.
Just like we discourage noobs from using welder's goggles for lasers.
Don't risk using laser goggles, not suitable for an eclipse.

On the other hand, welders goggles are suitable for a solar eclipse.
Make sure they're rated at 14, Green Shade.

Quote from a welder website.

#14 is the darkest lens shade you can buy – just as dark as the most protective welding helmet shades. As a result, these glasses are so dark that you can wear them to watch a solar eclipse, as well as using them for all types of welding including MIG and TIG. The glass lenses, which have been made to a high quality, block out almost 100% of UV light and 97% of infrared radiation, giving your eyes almost complete protection.

The cheapest way is to buy reputable NASA shades like the ones you ordered.
Simple, cheep but high quality.

Good luck and clear skies (you lucky ducks... :D )

RB

For taking pics the pinhole box with
screen on end would be the cheapest
way to go....

Or perhaps a suitable ND filter on a
digital camera.

Jerry

Last edited:
great reply RB... what about taking pics??

For taking pics the pinhole box with
screen on end would be the cheapest
way to go....

Or perhaps a suitable ND filter on a
digital camera.

Jerry
Yep, as Jerry said, you can get ND Filters (Neutral Density Filters) for Photography.
Or better still, a cheaper way is to buy the Solar Film and cut out what you want to make your own for whatever lens you'll use.
Check out B&H below or any other source for best pricing over in the States.

B&H Solar Photography Filters

The one I'm familiar with from astronomy circles is:

Thousand Oaks Optical SolarLite White-Light Solar Filter Film (12x12" Sheet)

Just take care and make sure you don't accidently put any holes or nicks in the film.
Hope that helps.
RB

:)

I've done it that way before. This time I bought three pairs of glasses for $6.50. Supposed to get here by the 18th. That's cutting it close, but they are coming from New York, so plenty of time to get here. I'll be more than pissed if they get here late. $3.50 of that was shipping.

Rivem

I've done it that way before. This time I bought three pairs of glasses for $6.50. Supposed to get here by the 18th. That's cutting it close, but they are coming from New York, so plenty of time to get here. I'll be more than pissed if they get here late. $3.50 of that was shipping.

I waited way too long to order my glasses and filters, so it's going to be close for me as well. Hopefully the solar filter for my scope will make it though. I'm probably only going to see the partial at this point since a road trip is looking questionable.

My solar eclipse glasses just shipped today. Paid for them on Tuesday, so not the fastest service. I'm thinking I can use the filter out of one pair to cover my camera lens. Seems like the cheapest way to do this. I can't justify paying $229.00 for a solar filter. Not worth it to me.

Last edited:
I'll be using my welding full face goggles...
Taking no pics though.

Jerry

Last edited:
This isn't really in regards to goggles but decided to share it. For me location, at around 10:10AM PDT on the 21st is when the eclipse will be right above my location. Well about 10° North of my location. Im at 35°N and it's be around the Portland area(45°N) it seems. I still managed to get a pre-view of what it will look like with a sky tool I have on my laptop. Below is a picture of what'll I'll see sky wise. Looks like it'll still get pretty dark. Only problem is waking up early :D

95074541a10e4dcac166403647a30dd8254a515d9bf40444e3b1917ec1ffe6c92449a57d.jpg

-Alex

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like I'll have a better view where I am. Portland is about 170 miles south of me.