Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

glass or plastic

i have heard that a glass lens can kill a phr diode quicker as it reflects back, but what are the differences when it comes to output power in mW, focusing abilities, appearance of the dot ect.....

I have been wondering those same things myself. And any perceived differences between the Meridith glass and others. I like the idea of more mW with the same mA. But I don't want more going backwards. I'm not sure more out the front means more out the back could make sense to me. Unless its because of the NA. that glass collects more.

And Mohrenberg, last I saw you were up to 141 mA on a phr. Whats the status of that one now?

--JFH

Glass gives you lower mW and a worse beam for blu-rays. This is because they are coated for 650nm. There is no known alternative using a glass lens that will provide a better beam than Aixiz acrylic. IgorT is working on one.

-Mark

You can also use the lens from the sled and its already AR coated for 405nm, look up the thread in tutorials.

alx

sexy0gorilas said:
glass of curse ,with plastic lens you lose 5-10% power in red lasers and in blue 20-30%

which glass lens? from aixiz?

sexy0gorilas said:
glass of curse ,with plastic lens you lose 5-10% power in red lasers and in blue 20-30%

BS

The red AR coated glass lenses lose like 20-30%, while the acrylics limits losses to a much lower amount. Until Igors custom lenses come about, use acrylic

alx

I asked intentionally, because sexy0gorila's post contain a wrong suggestion (to use glass lens on blu-ray)!!! Maybe is using other glass lens...which is not AR coated like aixiz.

thanks,
alx

The only cheap glass lenses that are available at this time are the red AR lenses from aixiz. Until the igor lenses, there is no cost-effective solution, if you want a glass lens

Benm

robjdixon said:
The red AR coated glass lenses lose like 20-30%, while the acrylics limits losses to a much lower amount. Until Igors custom lenses come about, use acrylic

I seriously doubt that 20-30% figure for the aixiz glass lenses. While there things are AR coated for red, such big losses in the higher part of the spectrum would be easily visible just looking through the lens. At some angles it appears to have a bit of a blue sheen, but not when looking straight onto it.

jayrob

A Meredith glass lens, even thought it is AR coated (I believe for red) will still give more power with a blu-ray over AixiZ acrylic because of it's 'short focus' design...

It sits much closer to the diode and captures more of the light before it has a chance to 'fan' out and bounce off the sides of the module. See here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1207011306/32#36

But as was said, they are very expensive. The best choice for blu-ray is still AixiZ acrylic. Especially since Igor will soon be starting his GB for the 405nm coated glass lenses fit for AixiZ! :)
Jay

Benm

It depends a bit on what you are doing. When focused at (near) infinity, the aixiz lenses capture all of the light from the diode.

If you are burning at very close range, the lens is so far from the diode that some of the light will miss the lens and reduce power. The vast majority of power is quite close to the center of the laser output though, so you will not be missing that much of it. The 10% figure could be accurate for such a situation.

kendon

pianoman2011 said:
How would you use the glass from the sled in an Aixiz module?

my guess would be to have a look at reply #3 in this thread (you have to scroll to the top a bit, if that is not asked too much), and then follow the hints given there.

is it actually a glass lens in the sled?

jayrob

Yes it is glass...

I tried that lens and I found that it has too long of a focal length. It would have to be mounted way out in front of the diode like an inch or so.

But if there is something I have not read about, maybe a way to mount and use this lens, please do tell! :)
Jay

My PHR had an acrylic lens but it didn't burn. I think I will buy an AR coated aixiz lens.