Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GGW-H20L 6x Sled GB!!! THE EPIC GB THREAD LAWL!!!

Re: 6x Blu-ray SLEDS GB! THEY ARE GOING FAST!

amkdeath said:
[quote author=BluRay link=1223438970/680#690 date=1225855922]Got mine today also, thanks AMK

Also i noticed you havent updated my 4 sleds that i paid in batch 3. Can you put me down for batch 3 or if not just add me to batch 4. thanks

Tommy

PATIENCE MAN!! I AM NOT ON HERE ALL THE TIME...  :mad: :mad: :mad:

You pay on 11-3-08, and on 11-5-08 you file a dispute with paypal. All I can say is What the F***??!?!?!

What is the dispute for?? Item Not received? Not put on list yet? I dont get it...

and to all of these who "cannot read 36 pages" or "have lives", read the first page. EVERYTHING you need to know is on there. EVERYTHING. I was not accepting new orders for batch 3 (as it says on the first first post), but those who have paid anyways will be included.

[/quote]
Chill.
Getting mad at customers is not business-like.
And yes, i know how to run a business.

rkcstr

amkdeath said:
You pay on 11-3-08, and on 11-5-08 you file a dispute with paypal. All I can say is What the F***??!?!?!

Read the email more closely.. I'm not thinking its a dispute he filed against you.

Kage

IgorT said:
[quote author=thesk8nmidget link=1223438970/680#694 date=1225860228]you will need a duty cycle at that current. but yeeah it may last for a good amount of time with a duty cycle

There is no duty cycle monster! It's all in your head!

If a diode dies it's from it's own optical output, not from being eaten by the duty cycle.

Duty cycle is only for diodes that are insufficiently heatsinked. If you use one of Jayrob's heatsink, it gives you a practically unlimited duty cycle.
If it then dies, it's because of too much power, not too little duty cycle.

Duty cycle can make over-overdriven diodes live longer in days, even months, but not in hours.

Normal diodes drop in power as they heat up, so the optical "pressure" decreases. If they have a sufficient heatsink, there will be only a small temperature increase, and a small power drop, and then they stabilise. This is also the reason why a diode can survive more current when hot, while it can die at the same current when it's cold - the efficiency, and with it the power is higher, when cold, at the same current.

But there are weird diodes, that climb in power with heat. With those, a small temperature climb can cause a huge power climb, and they can kill themselves. With those, duty cycle could actually help. But you shouldn't put a laser like that in your pocket.

That's why i'm praying, that with 4x's the heat related efficiency increase is just as rare as with the PHRs.

There is also another reason diodes are dying. And i can barelly believe it myself.[/quote]

Thank you IgorT! I think you just solved a problem I have been trying to resolve about what exactly killed 3 of my PHR diodes over the last few weeks!

Even though I made real sure there are no glitches or power spikes getting to the diodes in my box lasers they still seemed to always die, when they did die - at turn-on - never when warm. I could run these things at 150mW for several minutes with no problem and even turn them On and Off at that level, but every so often when I would turn one on at full power COLD that is when it died!

Not only that, but the diodes themselves always seemed to be functional electrically as though they were still good, but they only output a tiny bit of violet around the edges of where the dot used to be as though the output mirror was burned or something.

danq

various posters, on AMK's needing more patience with 'customers':
Group Buys are not a business. They are a gathering together to get a deal that we would not be able to swing individually. The person 'doing' the gb is providing a personal favor - a service, if you must think of it that way - but not primarily for profit, which would be a business.

Yes, patience with group-buy participants is a good idea. Participants should also be patient, and at least do the effort of reading the first friggin' page! Acting like a customer in a group buy is not so good.
:-?
DanQ

Okay

Put Me Down for 4 of these units.

Thanks,
Max

He has filed a dispute with PayPal for some random reason... I guess Ill work it out VIA PMs.

BluRay

I didnt even notice you posted all these things here. I saw your pm and replied to you instantly and you said 'Ohhhh i see' Thats it. Now i come on here to check and see if there any replies and i read all this!!!

AND, its NOT a disspute, so dont jump the Gun!!!! Rkcstr got the same message, so dont think i filed a disspute against you because you didnt reply or add me too the list!!!!! thats just stupid thinking, i would expect more from a person with that many +REP's!!! next time pm me and ask me first before you go in and post all those things in public and rant and rave for everybody to see  :mad: :mad:

PayPal is just wanting me to verify my address and ID by sending copy of drivers license and utility bill. They say its a random thing, but who knows paypal, they drive me insane!! and now this!!

So like everyone here said 'CHILL'  :mad: and get the facts straight before posting rubbish!!

Tommy

BluRay

AND TAKE THAT [highlight]PAYMENT HELD AND PENDING REVERSAL BY PAYPAL?!?!?!? [/highlight] crap away next to my name from batch 3 list!!! thankyou

You try to convert $264 USD to AUD and see how much it is, Thats prob why they held it, becuase i made 3 big payments to that night and they are just jumping in because they say its an unsual transaction.!

Tommy

Tommy

danq

IgorT said:
Putting a resistor in parallel with the output can bypass some current, but it's not nearly precise.

If you have a driver, the only right thing to do is to change the sense resistor, and set it to a different current.
hydrogenman15 said:
Oh sorry, I was talking about put in front of the input not the output.
Hydro, putting a resistor between the battery and the driver circuit - which it sounds like you're suggesting - will only decrease the voltage available to the driver. That won't change the current regulation except for making it less likely that the regulation will be stable, because the voltage is more likely to be insufficient.

As Igor said, the only good way to limit the current from a current-regulated driver is to change the circuit parameters of that driver. He suggested changing the sense resistor, which is what you'd need to do in this case to truly change the output current while making sure that current is regulated.

:)
DanQ

IgorT

hydrogenman15 said:
Oh sorry, I was talking about put in front of the input not the output.
--hydro15

It you put it in front of the input, nothing changes, but the drop-out voltage. The end result is the same. All that resistor does is, it causes a voltage drop across it. How much depends on the current setting (U=RxI).

If you put the resistor in series before or after the driver, the result is the same. Only that in one case the driver has to put out more voltage, and in the other, the driver gets less voltage. It will still try it's best to regulate as long as the battery voltage is above the minimum required for regulation + the voltage drop across the resistor.

If you put the resistor in front of or after the driver, it's slightly different for the driver, for as a system, the result is the same. The current will not be lower, it will just stop working sooner. The driver is a constant current source, and it will do constant current regardless of the conditions, for as long as it manages. If you put a big enough resistor, you can drop it out of regulation, but that's the same as not giving the driver enough voltage.

The only thing that makes sense is to SET the current to a different level. I don't know what current you want, but calculate the resistor you need to put ON the driver like this R=U/I, use 1.25V for U, so R=1.25/I (I = current in AMPERS, not milliampers!)

The fixed driver has pads big enough, that with some creativity you could get through-hole resistors on there.

EDIT: Ah, i see DanQ already explained it.. :)

dar303

Bluray: Paypal did that to me a few month ago, it was because I got over som magic sum in sent and received funds so they want to check that I'm not launding money or something. It was ok as soon as I sent in the info they requested, they were very polite in communication.
There are laws against money laundring and they must comply with them or else they are accomplices (it that the correct word?) i think.

IgorT

Kage said:
Even though I made real sure there are no glitches or power spikes getting to the diodes in my box lasers they still seemed to always die, when they did die - at turn-on - never when warm.  I could run these things at 150mW for several minutes with no problem and even turn them On and Off at that level, but every so often when I would turn one on at full power COLD that is when it died!

Not only that, but the diodes themselves always seemed to be functional electrically as though they were still good, but they only output a tiny bit of violet around the edges of where the dot used to be as though the output mirror was burned or something.

Yeah, my diodes also always die when cold. I was forced to cool my lasers yesterday, in order to do some accurate measurements, and i was worried every time i hat to turn them on. The very first moment, before a temperature differential developes between the diode and it's can is where the power is the highest anyway, and if you cool it on top....

I saw that faint dot many times. I think you can actually see the optical surfaces failing in whole areas at once, as they go dimmer, in the faint spot.

Hey amk, payment sent.

@Bluray, hell yeh man, that happens to me heaps with paypal. And with the ozzie $ now at $0.675931 US, dam it sucks.

Re: 6x Blu-ray SLEDS GB! GET EM WHILE THEY LAST

amkdeath said:
Batch 3 list:

PAYMENT LINK, PAY ONLY IF ON LIST!! http://amk123.110mb.com/6x.htm

Dr Evil: 1 PAID
Jayrob: 4 PAID
happytomato: 1 PAID
Chopper: 2 PAID
jedi2i: 1 PAID
spyderz20x6: 1 PAID
Midknight: 1
wannaburn: 8 PAID
Black Spirit: 3
Kage: 2
Montana64: 2 PAID
DREW8110: 2 PAID
DrLava: 5 PAID
Airy52: 1
maxkillz: 1 PAID
climbak: 3 PAID
laserrod: 2
yag-freak: 3 PAID
mophead: 2 PAID
Kenom!!: 1 PAID
sk8er4514: 2 PAID
jake21: 2 PAID
BluRay: 4 [highlight]PAYMENT HELD AND PENDING REVERSAL BY PAYPAL?!?!?!?[/highlight]
safetyman: 1 PAID

TOTAL: 55

keeperx said:
i want 1 please..

Let me know when i need to pay by and what batch i will be included in...

and out most recent PM exchange

amkdeath said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=action=imshow;caller=1;id=1225585507 date=1225585506][quote author=keeperx link=action=imshow;caller=1;id=1225509964 date=1225509963]ok im not trying to be a dick, but im STILL not on the batch 3 list... (please see first post on page 10)

yea man, I dont want to be a dick either, but how many did I have you down for? PM me the number and you will be on the list faster.[/quote]

Reply #180 - Oct 13th, 2008, 12:20pm

i want 1 please..

Let me know when i need to pay by and what batch i will be included in...
[/quote]

guess i dont get one...

Do some of us need a time-out in the corner for a while?

It's way too easy to be a dick online, cause you aren't really in front of another person, so your emotions just sort of spew out ur finger tips onto the forum.

I'm sure we've all been a dick unintentionally, and im sure we've all also been on the receiving end of it..  

the plus side is that you can't get punched in the face through the screen :D

As far as this or any group buy goes, there will be more, and they'll only get better.. lower prices or better diodes in the future.
there are plenty of sleds (or whatever ur buying in any random group buy) to go around and around.