Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

getting started

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums and to the laser world so I thought id introduce my self. I'm a 28 year old union pipefitter from california. I'm very interested in starting a new hoby and figured lasers would be cool. Any advice and ponters would be great. A diagram of what goes where would be even better! Thanks to those that have given advice and thanks in advance to everyone else.

Hello Jason, I think you'll find that a laser hobby is a very rewarding one! I'm sure you've seen this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

That will give you a lot of good background info you need to know if you want to start building. The info in that thread is regularly updated, and is considered basic stuff.

This hobby doesn't have to be expensive at all, I'll show you a little bit about how things can be done for cheap! Enjoy your time here!

-Tyler

WELCOME Jason-- have you seen all the info already on this forum ?? just do a search- this will save everybody a lot of time- your post has been repeated hundreds of times. You may get ignored if you are not willing to do your own homework--sorry thats just the way it is here. You might consider buying a kit from one of our members for your first one- then you can see for yourself what all is needed.---hak

i disagree with hawk on buying a kit first.... if you are anything like me, you will want all the practice you can get. i would start with a violet phr build with a ddl driver. this way you will have extraction and soldering practice nice and cheap. then when your skillz build up you can build a nice looking one.

michael.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just read up a little and realized that more homework is needed. Sorry to inconvenience anyone. Appreciate all of the advice

No problem Jason,

As long as you're doing your part by willing to learn a bit on your own, we'll be here to help out with anything else!

-Tyler

AndyR

Welcome to LPF! I'm sure you've already heard this many times already, but be sure to read around, there's lots of great information to be found here.

Can't wait to see your future builds, good luck!

Welcome to the forum! As you are finding out, there is a fair bit to successfully completing your first build. You will find tons of info in our FAQ's, stickies, and by searching the old posts. Sam's Laser FAQ is another great source of laser info. The suggestion to build a bluray laser is a good one. This laser can burn, and also be used to explore fluorescence and phosphorescence. You would need a PHR-803T sled, or the diode from same, an aixiz module, and either buy a rkcstr driver set to 100mA, or build a DDL driver (search DDL) which is cheap and easy, set to 100mA. 3 x 10440 lithium batteries could power it. The laser can be housed in an altoids tin (search Altoids laser) or in a fancy host. Several members here sell heatsinks and hosts. The heatsink conducts heat away from the module, and adapts the module to fit the host. If you have access to a metal lathe, you are home free. Please keep in mind the need for appropriate eye protection as you build or buy powerful lasers.

Last edited:
i disagree with hawk on buying a kit first.... if you are anything like me, you will want all the practice you can get. i would start with a violet phr build with a ddl driver. this way you will have extraction and soldering practice nice and cheap. then when your skillz build up you can build a nice looking one.

michael.

I wrote(hak not hawk) 'might consider' ---maybe he is not anything like you. My homemade heatsinks were pretty sorry at first--and although its great to buy a sled- extract the diode- press the diode into a module-solder the pins to a self-built driver-lathe a heatsink- make the pill etc-- buying some of these parts ready to go for his first non-pointer pen laser is still perhaps for the first one- the easiest way to go. IMHO---hak

sorry hakzaw, i wasn't putting you down at all. the majority of the population learns by trial and error. i was only telling him the cheapest way to start in the diy way.

michael

I can't thank all of you enough. I think my first build is going to be the easiest and least labor intensive just to get my feet wet. I am looking into the phr-830 sled. I found an aixiz module and a rkcstr driver for about 20 bucks. I'm still investigating heatsinks. I'm trying to do as much homework as I can. Hopefully soon ill be giving advice to guys like me. Again, thank you all.

if you arent going to use the phr for extended periods, or pushing the diode over like 90ma then you really won't need a heat sink.

michael

Cheech

Howdy fellow soul seller. I also have sold my soul to the union...IBEW 349(I'm Broke Every Winter)

daguin

Howdy fellow soul seller. I also have sold my soul to the union...IBEW 349(I'm Broke Every Winter)

GAWD, do I remember those days! I was a drywall finisher (Painters and Allied Trades) for 13 years before I went back to school.

The rain does give ya more time for hobbies like this. You just have to save up a bit ;)

Peace,
dave

Someone suggested the phr and the rkcstr driver set to 100 ma. The one I found says it automatically adjusts from 85 to 400 ma. I think. I need to double check that. I do want to add the heatsink just to get the feel for it. Thanks for the input. Its nice to see some union brothers out here. LU 343 vallejo ca.