Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Get off the top of dx lasers

Is there any way that I can take off the top off my dx laser? I've heard about the wooden blocks trick but I don't understand how to do it... Is the top glued on? Can I take some nail alcohol thingy to get the glue away? Please help :p

S

SenKat

take a piece of wood - drill a hole in it that is a TINY bit less than teh size of teh laser....now, cut that piece of wood in half, across the center of that hole. Use the two halves ina vise to clamp down on the tip of the laser without crushing it, and SLOWLY twist and pull until it comes apart :)

G !

Is it super glue on it!? I've tried so hard I could, ain't working :-/
Im worried of breaking the laser.
Has anyone been able to take it off from a dx laser?

edit: Can I use some tools to get it off, or will that break or scratch the laser?

S

SenKat

Tools will definitely scratch it up....the wood block method works perfecty though - I used vise grips and a vise to remove mine, and mangled it beyond recognition, but I had no intention of having it back in it's casing ever again anyways.....If you are attempting a pot-mod on the DX laser - you can save your time and agravation by not doing it, since it wil not help anyways ! But when you do this (if you decide to) make sure the button is facing down - otherwise you could snap the board in your attempts to undo the tip.

G !

Im not going to pot mod it, just take it off so I can put in a lens...
It's really hard to get it off.
it's not possible with your bare hands.

S

SenKat

Well, if you DO clamp the head in the blocks of wood, you can grip the laser's body with your other hands and twist and pull gently....Sometimes I use one of those rubber mats that are used to open jars when I try to take something apart without scarring it all up - it helps to pad the tools a bit, and give you a decent grip as well.

G !

I need to give this a try as well, I need to shorten one of my greenies for a little project, I did use the search facility but could find nothing, thanks for asking the question Lasernoo0b ;).

Senkat, does it help to heat it a bit first? with a hairdrier or something similar?

Regards rog8811

S

SenKat

Like I said - the only one I ever took apart was the one I mangled - however HemlockMike has disassembled many this way - send him a PM, I am not certain about the heat !

G !

Guyz ---

I started using this wood block trick over a year ago and never damaged a one. The old Leadlights worked with the sharp blade trick but these with the long "nose" respond well by the blocks.
I've never used heat but I do use hard wood (not soft pine) -- Twist, pull and rock. Be patient. It will yield. After it's apart, I use my lathe to remove excess material from the lip - Not too much.
Assembly is two flat wood blocks and a vice or arbor press. Simple machine shop stuff.

Mike

Things

haha when i pull the caps off, i use brute force! ;D but when the cap does come off, it's stuffed anyway. but i have jusst ripped DX lasers for the modules