Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Game: Guess the mystery object !

Hmmm.... just to say "detects gas" or "detects smoke" would be too easy... I'm guessing you would want something a little more descriptive / detailed....

I'll make a WILD guess and say "detects biologicals"? Detects bacteria, viruses, etc? For a Bio- or genetics lab?

ped

Ok, you'd be right in saying it detects something out of the ordinary, the thing that this detects may be of particular interest to people who develop underwater structures.

I used to scuba dive (PADI instructor at one point, in Hawaii)... I don't know much about commercial diving... all I can think of is "detects sulfur dioxide" or "detects traces of petroleum" or "detects Laser Jellyfish" or "detects killer Jellyfish Laser Beams" (oh wait... that's already been suggested and you said "no").

... maybe used in taking underwater soil (mud) samples? Used in straining / filtering surface material from ocean / sea bottoms?

... from the appearance ... maybe taking algae, plankton, or seaweed samples? (different sized holes, and you said "different shapes for different applications").

(I know there probably is, or should be, an unwritten rule for the thread, "one guess per customer per post", but I figure after so many guesses by different people, it is a "hard" object, so some leeway is called for)

Last edited:
Okay, this will be MY last attempt.

Something to check the structural integrity of underwater structures, by gathering/sampling metal oxides.

Last edited:
Reactions: ped

ped

Something to check the structural integrity of underwater structures,

Thats as close as were gonna get so i guess i'll give it to you.

Its a corrosion sensor that detects certain oxides.

w1xklv.jpg

That was a hard one; very obscure.

Okay. Here is a hard one, then. BUT, it was reported in the news.
This caused a lot of problems for Amateur Radio operators, and OTHER people in radio communications (incl. professionals), off and on from the mid 1970's to the late 1980's.
(I actually worked on the "case"... so to speak... that is, it impacted on my job, and we helped to analyze and characterize the thing).

20uejbo.jpg

It has a nickname... two words... a nationality and a bird.

However, if a SPECIFIC answer isn't guessed / found by anyone, I'll answer for a good GENERAL guess. I've already provided a clue (" ... caused a lot of problems ... "), but no, it is NOT a jammer.

EDIT:

And no, it does not detect UFO's/Flying Saucers, or evil laser jellyfish.

Last edited:
(American Eagle? hehehe... (?) no, the object is the structure itself, not what could be sitting on it).

It is in Europe

Trevor

Took me forever to call the name. I think it's the Woodpecker Array / Russian Woodpecker.

-Trevor

(Coherent Light - not "first generation", but close; "radar" as opposed to jammer would be acceptable, OHR / Over the Horizon Radar would be better)

Trevor: CORRECT! (yay!)

Russian Woodpecker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was active duty, I spent part of my time here (3 years - THIS EXACT site); I can't get into specifics, but I studied the thing;
28tjbp.jpg

Wullenweber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(That is a AN/FLR-9 antenna... intercept and direction finding. Note the scale of the antenna ... compare it to the buildings / cars in the foreground)

The Russian Woodpecker occasionally disrupted comms ALL OVER the globe. I also studied it while I was stationed in ASIA. It was centered on 10 Mhz, but had awful harmonics all over the HF band.

EDIT:

A satellite view of that old place I used to work at, I guess it is still standing; from Google Maps;
a41nk1.jpg

... and it seems like I managed to find the Russian Woodpecker on a satellite view - within the past few years - I don't remember the details.

Last edited: