Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

G3 Lens??? Anyone Know What That Is?

So I'm speaking with Gray from Jetlasers and I'm trying to customize my 3.5W PL-E Pro and I asked if he could add on a G7 lens and it turns out they don't have any G7 lens, only G3 lens. I have never heard of this before, only the 3- element, G2 and G7. I searched Google and couldn't find anything about a G3 lens thanks to the stupid LG G3 which flooded the search results.

Does anyone know what a G3 lens is?

How does it compare to the G7 lens?

DTR

Might just be what they are calling the three element lens. I have seen some call it that before.

Hmm possibly, but in this scenario that would be a bit strange because previous to Gray saying they can use the G3 lens, I asked him if he could use the G7 instead of the 3-element and he responded with "we don't have the G7, but we can use the G3 lens if you'd like".

DTR

I would just ask Gary if he meant a multi element lens when he said G-3 or if it is a single element lens. He is a great guy to deal with so he would not be deceiving in any way just might be a translation confusion or he could be marketing a single element lens as a G-3 but I am not seen them.:beer:

Alright thanks for responding to my thread at least.

If anyone else out there knows what a G3 lens is please let me know.

Hi H P O,
Ok a 3 E lens has three lenses in the barrel, this type of lens cuts down on the long line the diode puts out and brings it to a fine dot.The single element lens (G2) has one lens in the barrel and basically will not cut down on the diode line it produces . Now the Three E lens you will loose a little power from the beam running through three lenses but will make a nice clean dot, Where as the G2 will not loose any power but will still have that line from the beam. So G2 for full power potential and 3 element for better dot size and divergence. So it's really personal choice better divergent or full power .. Hope this clarifies you questions. The G7 lens is supposed to be between a G2 and a 3 element so to speak .. There are some folks on here that are really into the divergence thing and shaping the beam so maybe another could chime in..There are also S1,G9,and 2 element lenses to..

Rich:)

Last edited:
But no G3 haha. Thanks for the explanation and while we are on the topic, G7 lens is the best right? I've heard its has the same effect as a 3-element but lets much more power through.

94Z28

But no G3 haha. Thanks for the explanation and while we are on the topic, G7 lens is the best right? I've heard its has the same effect as a 3-element but lets much more power through.

You have had 2 of the most knowledgeable guys tell you they don't know about any G3 other than referring to a 3 element from some companies.

This goes for me as well, Gray sometimes get his words from other guys about the parts they use (engineers) from our talks. He does know some stuff, so maybe as DTR says he is trying to explain a 3 element to you.

G7 Lens is something I haven't seen alot of except from Sanwu, if you want a G7 lens you can simply buy the PL-E from JetLasers as you already were with a 3 Element (price). Then you can buy a 15$ G7 from Sanwu and mate them up pretty simply. I swapped the lens in my PL-E to a G7 from sanwu myself actually ;)

3 Element lenses seem to be the "Original" lens with acceptable power loss
405-G1 AND 405-G2 seem to be the "high power" cutting lens with low power loss
"G7" is just a nickname for lens some other guys have produced to improve divergence and power loss over the 3 element. Atleast from what I see on lots of chinese sites.

I've seen G1,G2,G7,G9 how many G lens do we really need!?!?!?!?

Last edited:
Alright Ill probably do that but G7 lens is definitely the way to go right? in terms of focusing/minimal power loss.

Is there any gluing or anything involved in swapping out the lens? I have literally never done anything DIY with lasers before.

diachi

Alright Ill probably do that but G7 lens is definitely the way to go right? in terms of focusing/minimal power loss.

Is there any gluing or anything involved in swapping out the lens? I have literally never done anything DIY with lasers before.

No ... the lenses screw in and screw out.

GSS

alright sounds easy....and G7 will offer the best divergence?
Yes all members who posted seem to agree the G7 including me will give you the best of both worlds. Since its only $15 on top of the decent laser that your buying already having a 3 element its up to you now to find out and have your own opinion.
Its also an easy 1 minute swap that you can go back and forth all day as long as your careful with not letting dust or debris get in:)

Last edited:
Alright sounds good, Ill pick up a G7 lens from SanWu. Thank you to everyone who posted; I know it probably gets very repetitive having to tell all the same stuff to all the nubies so I really appreciate it.

Koff

3 ele still gives the best divergence. Just measured my 520nm 800mw divegence: 1.75 mrad with g7, 1.5 mrad with 3 ele.

3 ele ftw.

I was just reading a post from 2015 about the G7 lens and this guy did a series of tests and the 3-element took 25-30% of the power away but the G7 only restored about 5-7% of the power back so Im not sure what im going to do now. If the divergence between the 3-element and the G7 is really as much as you say it is, I might just go with the 3-element since im gaining a good amount of divergence but not muchmore powerbeithbthe G7. I really wish I had a LPM to test it out for myself but those are so damn expensive (I want/need a 5W LMP).

Koff

I was just reading a post from 2015 about the G7 lens and this guy did a series of tests and the 3-element took 25-30% of the power away but the G7 only restored about 5-7% of the power back so Im not sure what im going to do now. If the divergence between the 3-element and the G7 is really as much as you say it is, I might just go with the 3-element since im gaining a good amount of divergence but not muchmore powerbeithbthe G7. I really wish I had a LPM to test it out for myself but those are so damn expensive (I want/need a 5W LMP).
I'd take the 3 ele cause i like lowest divergence. Like my single mode 520nm 60mw is 0.25 mrad with 3 ele, 0.5 mrad with g7, Which one would u choose? hehe. The g7 gives so little more power it doesn't really make difference in brightness.

Last edited: