Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fun with 770V

TJ; Do you have any idea what kind of capacitance it has? And, what kind of vacuum tubes do you have? I have a small collection of my own going on; I plan on building an amplifier eventually. :)

All types of tubes. I dont know enough about tubes to quote some types, but its a vast assortment.

Pix of the cap.

6hulp3.jpg

These are the only markings on it.

1fvlh2.jpg

GBD

Looks like 4MFD written on it, so probably 4uF @ 4KV (32 joules of pulse power to play with)
its made by general electric, and the very buttom is a P/N or model I suppose.

Last edited:

Fiddy

my bad forgot the micro part :D

Last edited:
You charge it by applying DC voltage to it, you know it's full when the voltage across it is ~90% the rated voltage. Be sure to not reverse the polarity; DC+ goes to +, ground to -.

Hiemal

That one big exposed tube looks sorta like a Thyratron or a Mercury vapor rectifier.... (in your second picture, the one near the bottom right corner of the blue box) It might just be a radio frequency tube though. What's the part number on it?

You can use those to make some pretty neat things. I love vacuum tubes mainly because 1. They look so much cooler than semiconductors, and 2. They're a lot more rugged, because you can push them a lot harder and not end up with a blown tube.

I'd love to get some of those tubes off of you TJ. :p Is there something else I could possibly build for you to get some?

And, I'll post some pictures of my tube collection when I get back home guise. :D

Last edited:

Hiemal

Ah, those big tubes are Xenon filled rectifiers... the pancakey acorn one I can't tell, as the part number for it isn't clear.

Also, I love your word choice. xD

Edit;;

Toobs

http://i.imgur.com/CMaMW.jpg

Last edited:

Hiemal

Well, here's the datasheet and decide for yourself!

http://tubedata.tubes.se/sheets/049/3/3B28.pdf

It can handle a max of 5000 - 10,000 volts, and rectify 0.5 amps or 1 amp max... (depends on the filament voltage)

They're pretty damn good tubes, actually!

And meh, your tubes aren't useful for much. My 811A can actually amplify unlike your gridless tubes. :p

Last edited:
I bought them to do art, so naaah.

Can I light filament up with low voltage like the others.

Hiemal

Of course you can. The filaments are basically like lightbulb ones except made with even better materials....so they'll last even longer than standard lightbulbs!

How much light that'll actually come out will vary based off of tube construction though. A 811A when full filament current is flowing is very bright.