Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fun in the garden...520 and white light! *PIC HEAVY*

Just thought you might enjoy a couple of pics. They're not bad, but Ill try to get some better ones tomorrow evening. :)

The best is the comparison of the Pl520 @ 15 mW vs the 532 @ 25 mW.

The lasers used were, in order of appearance:

PL520 in MS V4 200 mA, but only lasing at 15 mW guess I got a dud, but still a great laser.
532 Pen
Mits 500 in Kryton Groove 1 W
SO6J in MS V1 700 mW (Was using a G2 here, so the beam isnt that narrow.)
M140 in Saik @ +2.6 W
White light laser several watts...:drool:

Enjoy ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And the one you've all been waiting for! The 7G5CS with aspheric head! :crackup::D

attachment.php

:beer:

Attachments

• Garden Pics -5.jpg
    Garden Pics -5.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Garden Pics -6.jpg
    Garden Pics -6.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 1,951
  • Garden Pics -7.jpg
    Garden Pics -7.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 1,944
  • Garden Pics -8.jpg
    Garden Pics -8.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,900
  • Garden Pics -1.jpg
    Garden Pics -1.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 1,891
  • Garden Pics -2.jpg
    Garden Pics -2.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 2,996
  • Garden Pics -3.jpg
    Garden Pics -3.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Garden Pics -4.jpg
    Garden Pics -4.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 2,003
Last edited:

Re: Fun in the garden...

Wow amazing shot of that 520nm :beer: +1

EDIT: only 200mA? Isn't that pretty low for a 520nm diode? :thinking:

Last edited:

GREAT pictures... Now thats a great scenery for taking laser pictures... I wonder if you got pics from different angles and during night (with lower illumination of course). :wave:
What is your camera, by the way?

Again, great pics. :beer:

edit: Pictures should be in Multimedia section... :yh:

Last edited:

Thanks guys :)

EDIT: only 200mA? Isn't that pretty low for a 520nm diode? :thinking:

Actually 200 mA is the max recommended current from Osram! ;) Most do actually run them higher up to 300 or even 350 mA, but this one only puts out an absolute max of 15 mW. I actually tested it turning the pot and watching the result on my LPM. The highest reading was at 200 mA, so I left it there...I just think I got an exceptionally inefficient one. :undecided: To be honest its not that bad, as 520 is really visible and I can use the laser indoors without too much concern. Im obviously still careful with it though! ;)

I wonder if you got pics from different angles and during night (with lower illumination of course). :wave:
What is your camera, by the way?

I took the pics first by setting up the camera ie (exposure) on a tripod with cable release and took a control shot. The lasers were then placed and turned on. My other half kindly pressed the button when I had managed to switch them all on. :p We were both wearing goggles, but for the mits 500 we just shielded our eyes as we couldn't see anything with two pairs of different wavelength goggles on! :crackup:

We simply took a few shots and adjusted the exposure. So we didn't actually use multiple exposures, if that's what you mean?

It could be an idea to take a couple of HDR shots though...;) So thanks for the idea! :)

The camera is a canon 1Dmk4 and I was using a 50 mm prime between 1.4 and 2.0 for the shots. ISO was 640 and shutter 15 to 25 secs.

edit: Pictures should be in Multimedia section... :yh:

Ah didnt know that :eek: oops...:beer:

Great pics Grainde! Thanks for taking the time to share these :beer:

I like how the lasers light up the background with different colors, especially the shot with all the lasers on. Quite magical :)

I've tried wearing two pairs of goggles too :crackup:

That white laser is Amazing! Wow, what a beam!

~ LB

Last edited:
Hey thanks LB! :) The white light laser also did a good job of lighting up the nearby area! :crackup:

Ill play around a little tonight and try to get some more shots. Maybe mixing the white light with the lasers...:eg: ;) :beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Beautiful photos grainde, thank you for sharing, definitely looking for more! :)

The 520 vs 532 comparison is super, that background highlights the wavelength variation very well.

Too bad you're already entered in cantthinkofone's beam shot contest, pic #2 would be a contender!

BTW - Got to love that "white" laser.

+1 for some great pics.

Last edited:
Thanks again gentlemen.

Too bad you're already entered in cantthinkofone's beam shot contest, pic #2 would be a contender!

BTW - Got to love that "white" laser.

+1 for some great pics.

Yeah guess Ill have to save them for next time...:p ;)

P.S I might also try taking a pic of the aspheric on a dedomed T6. From what Ive seen, the beam is about a quarter of the size! Maybe itll be even closer to a "real white laser"! :D :beer:

Last edited:

We simply took a few shots and adjusted the exposure. So we didn't actually use multiple exposures, if that's what you mean?

It could be an idea to take a couple of HDR shots though...;) So thanks for the idea! :)

The camera is a canon 1Dmk4 and I was using a 50 mm prime between 1.4 and 2.0 for the shots. ISO was 640 and shutter 15 to 25 secs.

@Grainde
I'm not really into photography (had to google HDR shot :), got some great results) but I'm going to get a camera, someday :)crackup: need $$$$) but I definitely know the quality of the pics I want. AND I really liked yours.
I'll write down the shutter/iso info, a friend of mine has a professional dslr and maybe he can setup his camera using this info... :eg:

Just a question, mostly because I never had a high power 405 but, does it look so blue in person, or its the color balance in the camera?

Glad to give you the HDR shot idea tho. It seems amazing...

Think about a rainbow shot here (link). :wave:

Thanks for +rep bro. And you owe me nothing :na: I owe you.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to grainde again..

Last edited:

@Grainde
I'll write down the shutter/iso info, a friend of mine has a professional dslr and maybe he can setup his camera using this info... :eg:

If you're lucky it will work, but the settings depend on the ambient light and the power of the lasers. The best way would be to set the camera up ie set the exposure correctly for the background first. That means use the camera's light meter and set it to correctly expose the shot. Then take a pic and check before turning on the laser(s). Once you have done that and it looks good, try with the laser and see if its too over exposed. If it is, just increase the shutter speed a little and try again. It normally takes a few shots to get it right anyway.

Just a question, mostly because I never had a high power 405 but, does it look so blue in person, or its the color balance in the camera?

Actually in real life it looks more purple. Yes the colour balance will have an effect, but I had a quick tinker with lightroom and couldn't get it correct without distorting the other colours. I have just had a thought though, I do have a UV filter (mainly for protection) on the lens!!! :tinfoil:

So maybe that is preventing the true purple colour from coming through. I was really wondering yesterday, because the camera almost never has issues rendering the colour correctly. Ill try later and see whether it was that. There's also the possibility of an internal UV filter over the sensor, but Ill have to do some reading to find out.

Glad to give you the HDR shot idea tho. It seems amazing...

Think about a rainbow shot here (link). :wave:

Nice HDR. :) Ill post a couple Ive done on beaches with moving water later on in the thread.

Thanks for +rep bro. And you owe me nothing :na: I owe you.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to grainde again..

No worries :beer:

Last edited:
^great. Thanks for the lessons. I think I'll fav this page just in case... :wave:

benmwv

Dude you should do a diffraction grating wavelength measurement on that 520nm. It looks extra blue to me, and since its not the same as other as far as power goes its possible you have a wavelength freak.

Dude you should do a diffraction grating wavelength measurement on that 520nm. It looks extra blue to me, and since its not the same as other as far as power goes its possible you have a wavelength freak.

Ill look into it, it does look much bluer than 532 in person so you maybe right... Good idea thanks! ;) :beer: