Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: White Fusion Laser Mixing Kit

Hey thanks!
I just wanted to be sure you're still making them. Waiting is not an issue at all. I have a bunch of other parts to collect, so I'll start ordering.
I'm definitely down for one of your 'White Fusions' whenever you get it done. Let me know how payments works out.

Here you Go.

445nm%20White%20Chroma.jpg

Amazing what a few nm can do... I'm not sure these diodes can go that low. For safety sake I like the power being lower on portable units.

Here's an intriguing idea...PL has a groupbuy for 500mW CW 638nm diodes starting up: ML520G72 638nm 500mw Diode Group Buy

Best I can figure, here's some Chroma values I got:

445nm: .150W
532nm: .185W
638nm: .265W

Instead of hitting the ceiling for our red diodes, it hits the ceilings of our green modules. And even 185mW is pushing it, I believe a lot of those modules don't actually put out that much green, so they? Plus it's a gain of only about 50mW total, but I believe the red is supposed to be much better as far as "chromaticity" or whatever (I hate biology). Not sure if it's worth it for the >$200 price tag for the red diodes, but it's an interesting thought I figured I might as well throw out here. Any other thoughts?

Read further, the first price break is 10 to 49 diodes at $218 + shipping each, but they look to be heading well over the next price break at >50 diodes.

Still not sure if it's worth it for a White Fusion at that price, considering the limit applied by the green modules available, but it's interesting enough to post here and see what others though.

Read further, the first price break is 10 to 49 diodes at $218 + shipping each, but they look to be heading well over the next price break at >50 diodes.

Still not sure if it's worth it for a White Fusion at that price, considering the limit applied by the green modules available, but it's interesting enough to post here and see what others though.

i have expressed my interest in those 638's but i am atm thinking they arent too practical for this application. a few months ago i WOULD not have thought that the green would be at the ceiling ha.

O-like has higher-powered modules, but they're a bit bigger. Not sure if they would fit with a re-designed heatsink apparatus. Not a lot longer, but quite a bit bigger around, it seems.

O-like has higher-powered modules, but they're a bit bigger. Not sure if they would fit with a re-designed heatsink apparatus. Not a lot longer, but quite a bit bigger around, it seems.

right. i remember looking into these and have one at the house for simply that reason.

for the green i pulled the "sure" style module out of a "300mW" pointer, which was putting out ~245 of green, the rest IR. and dremeled the excessoff to fit.

hopefully soon i can rebuild this not as a "frankenstein"

right. i remember looking into these and have one at the house for simply that reason.

for the green i pulled the "sure" style module out of a "300mW" pointer, which was putting out ~245 of green, the rest IR. and dremeled the excessoff to fit.

hopefully soon i can rebuild this not as a "frankenstein"

245mW at 532nm makes a decent improvement. New numbers with that power in Chroma to get a nice approximate white with the 638nm red:

445nm: .150W to .210W
532nm: .185W to .245W
638nm: .265W to .350W

800mW white there, and all 3 colors have very good chromaticity, instead of the 405nm and 660nm that are both a bit out there as far as our eyes are concerned.

Which pointer was this from on O-like's site? And am I understanding right that you got it into the White Fusion kit with just a little Dremeling?

Gah! I had this thing all planned out, I have every single part and it's half-way built....

And then these blue diodes show up, and then the 638 diode groupbuy starts on PL, and now I'm completely torn and don't know what to do anymore.

I have been debating on weather or not to do the same thing. My white fusion kit is sitting with a broken red and blu-ray diode. I'm def putting a 445 in it since they are cheaper then blu-ray diodes now but I have to buy 2 638 diodes for my scanner and I'm not sure If I can afford a third for the white fusion. :-/

So here's why I've decided to definitely not use violet:

405nm: .450W
532nm: .110W
658nm: .350W
84.3 lumens, .910W

445nm: .080W
532nm: .100W
79.2 lumens, .530W

Cut the laser power output by over 1/3, save the power on my green, and barely lose any lumens. Add in the cost like you mention, and blue is definitely in, violet is out.

------------------------------------------------

Now, the red debate:

79.2 lumens, .530W

445nm: .120W
532nm: .150W
638nm: .220W
122.9 lumens, .490W Holy crap what a difference! A reasonable number for the green, but a ~$200 investment for the red diode in order to increase lumens by 50% while simultaneously reducing light power output.

150.8 lumens, .600W Very nice, pushing the green a bit harder, but close to double the lumens of the highest lumens the 658nm configuration I can get! A risky configuration for the green module I have, but a risk worth it?

445nm: .210W
532nm: .245W
638nm: .350W
199.8 lumens, .805W Wow, 200 lumens out of this tiny thing, IF I can find a module like DjHeadie did for the green, but that's ANOTHER ~$200(?) investment.

I think the extra $200 for the red is worth it to me, it'll increase the lumens so much to go from 658 to 638nm, and simultaneously should increase battery life and put out less laser power for the same amount of visibility. Color rendition should improve as well.

But the extra money to find a better green module? That one I don't know about. Anybody got a green module that'll go into the heatsink and do 250mW of green light that they want to sell me directly? Heck, I've got a nice 12x violet diode, working and in an Aixiz housing, I'll trade you for a 250mW green module. What current draw does it take to get that kind of green power output from modules that people have currently?

Last edited:
So here's why I've decided to definitely not use violet:

405nm: .450W
532nm: .110W
84.3 lumens, .910W

79.2 lumens, .530W

Cut the laser power output by over 1/3, save the power on my green, and barely lose any lumens. Add in the cost like you mention, and blue is definitely in, violet is out.

------------------------------------------------

Now, the red debate:

79.2 lumens, .530W

445nm: .120W
532nm: .150W
638nm: .220W
122.9 lumens, .490W Holy crap what a difference! A reasonable number for the green, but a ~$200 investment for the red diode in order to increase lumens by 50% while simultaneously reducing light power output.

150.8 lumens, .600W Very nice, pushing the green a bit harder, but close to double the lumens of the highest lumens the 658nm configuration I can get! A risky configuration for the green module I have, but a risk worth it?

445nm: .210W
532nm: .245W
638nm: .350W
199.8 lumens, .805W Wow, 200 lumens out of this tiny thing, IF I can find a module like DjHeadie did for the green, but that's ANOTHER ~$200(?) investment.

I think the extra $200 for the red is worth it to me, it'll increase the lumens so much to go from 658 to 638nm, and simultaneously should increase battery life and put out less laser power for the same amount of visibility. Color rendition should improve as well.

But the extra money to find a better green module? That one I don't know about. Anybody got a green module that'll go into the heatsink and do 250mW of green light that they want to sell me directly? Heck, I've got a nice 12x violet diode, working and in an Aixiz housing, I'll trade you for a 250mW green module. What current draw does it take to get that kind of green power output from modules that people have currently?

the one i purchased and linked you to was nowhere near 200$, but may have been a one time deal and was a bit of a dirty b!t@h to implement as it does not follow the typical wiring (guessing because of the ballsier IR pump)

i will do some testing when it arrives if i can safely harvest it out of the pointer again, i will offer one of the two to you, and i wouldn't offer you anything i wouldnt want myself.

the one i purchased and linked you to was nowhere near 200$, but may have been a one time deal and was a bit of a dirty b!t@h to implement as it does not follow the typical wiring (guessing because of the ballsier IR pump)

i will do some testing when it arrives if i can safely harvest it out of the pointer again, i will offer one of the two to you, and i wouldn't offer you anything i wouldnt want myself.

Sounds good.

Actually, yeah, I must've misread the pricing or crossed lines or something earlier, because what I'm reading now does not match what I thought I read earlier.

haha right. as you see it is a very affordable pointer, but iadvised a buddy to get one after mine, and his came out at 195mW 78 of that IR :(

well just have to see.

btw

IMG_0697.jpg

Alrighty, wait-and-see it is, while I wait for the red diode sale from PL to commence, and I can keep working on a few other things about the build for the moment.

Also, I'm glad I finally noticed that luminous flux number at the bottom of Chroma...I was just starting to pull out some numbers to do the math myself when I noticed that tocket has already done it for me in the software! Thanks tocket!

ZRTMWA

The only green module that might possibly work would be one of the oversized O-like modules but at $225 a pop I doubt you want to take the plunge. Also, it needs 2 Amps of current to lase at 250-300mW. It would also require the green heatsink in the WF kit to be either drilled out or replaced. It's either not going to work or will be a b*tch to make work.

I've always dreamed of Sightfx making a WF 2.0 that would include some sort of second heatsink, in case you wanted to install 2 of the same color (for power benefits). I was assuming it would be for red though, not green.

ZRTMWA

Sorry to double post but I really want to get the Chroma working on my computer. I downloaded the Chroma.zip file from here:
I downloaded it a while ago, but never got it to run... Apparently you need something called MCR 7.9, which is supposedly a part of SolidWorks.

I've uploaded the file for you though: Deposit Files

Then when I started to download the support files found here:
it said is was 260ish MB and it wuld take 1-2 hours to download. I don't really care about the size or the tme it takes to download, all I want to know is will it allow me to run the Chroma on my computer? Will opening the MCRInstaller.exe open the Chroma? Or once I have it downloaded I can just open the Chroma.zip file? Thanks

Edit: 2 hours and 258 MB later, I still can't figure out how to get the Chroma to work. I have both files downloaded.

Last edited: