Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: White Fusion Laser Mixing Kit

Re: Custom 7 Color DIY Laser Kit

Yeah i knew we wouldnt be able to have a pinpoint "i mean you COULD... but its a waste of time."

I asked because my 8x 408mW's focused to infinity burns so hard! i just wondered is a high powered white will burn your skin as fast as an 8x "at the same mW"

now a 408mW red focused to infinity wouldnt burn HALF as well as an 8x BR... not even with a meredith. reds burn way better when focused to a point from my experiance. but the BR.... its like it doesnt matter, burns completely adequitly set at infinity... and if you unfocus it... oh god... its even more hardcore. lights a cigarette in less than 4 seconds.

But my goal for this build is definately NOT burning, its for the colors!!

Dark

I was gunna say the same thing. i have a green thats "crooked" but THANKFULY my ultra-stable 50mW module is str8 as could be!

I will have to aquire another BDR for the blue.

Im assuming you'd use a LOC for the red?

And im actualy torn between drivers as well... i can afford 3 of either one. but im not sure if i want to dive right into this new modulatable driver... maybe i should take a shot at it with flexdrives first, and sell it off to affors parts for another one using the better drivers.

I feel this may be a wise descision...

And i read over both guides i could find, rog's and J's, and i have confidence i can handle the turning mirror.

I cant wait to get started... the white beam is just mesmorizing to me! i WILL have it... so how does a white beam burn J ??? im quite curious.. my 408mW 8x burns like WHOA... im curious how a white beam would compare at infinity. is it intense like BR, or weak as could be like reds? "when focused to infinity...ish"

Dark

Hey Dark,

I really think you are going to like the red diode from the BRD and want to use one in this build. It may have just been a good one but mine had almost no "DIE" projection (the Line through the dot projected with some diodes). It was bright and seemed efficient too.

I will try to find some pure copper rod next week to make inserts with the 3.8mm press fitting needed for the little reds.

imn said:
LOL I can't wait to do this either. In fact, I just manned up and bought an actual weller soldering station instead of the radioshack iron i was using!

I got this little gem a while back and I like it allot: Compact Adjustable Temperature Soldering Iron-The Electronic Goldmine

I am done building the heat sinks for 2 full sets with super sized Greens and an extra green that is spoken for. I will make all mounting and adjusting hardware tomorrow.

Yeah i knew we wouldnt be able to have a pinpoint "i mean you COULD... but its a waste of time."

I asked because my 8x 408mW's focused to infinity burns so hard! i just wondered is a high powered white will burn your skin as fast as an 8x "at the same mW"

now a 408mW red focused to infinity wouldnt burn HALF as well as an 8x BR... not even with a meredith. reds burn way better when focused to a point from my experiance. but the BR.... its like it doesnt matter, burns completely adequitly set at infinity... and if you unfocus it... oh god... its even more hardcore. lights a cigarette in less than 4 seconds.

But my goal for this build is definately NOT burning, its for the colors!!

Dark

You feel it like NOW! It's hot!

-Ryan

That's the thing...

Focus. As you know, focus is the key to burning. In this build, I set my lasers up for best visual dot at 75'. Now through the sled optics, this still gives a nice dot at closer distances too.

But as for burning, it's not going to perform like a pinpoint focus.

That said, at the kind of power I have mine set at, it will still light matches. The blu-ray, which is a GGW 6X set at 185mA's, is putting out 174mW's after sled optics with a 405-G-1 glass lens. So yes, it will burn your fingers right out of the sled.

But for lighting matches. I have only done a couple of tests just to see if it would do so at this kind of focus. Yes, it is easy with Magenta and white.

But it is still not a great burner because of the 'distance focus'. The power is there for sure. And if it were at a pinpoint, it would burn like crazy...
Jay

Jay your comments makes me think... How about some kind of "adapter" or threading on the sled or the project box that will house this build , that can be threaded to allow an aixiz nut , so that the exiting light "laser beam" can be collimated to a burning dot and removed so that it can be an infinite beam.. or stock..

I hope i said that correctly and didnt confuse anyone

jayrob

Hmmm... I have not done anything with beam expanders and such as of yet, but I imagine it would be the same thing as putting a beam expander on a green laser...
Jay

Is an aixizlens assembly considered a beam expander? i didnt know that..

using one of your 405g-1 lens assemblies at the output end of this kit would be great if its able to collimate the beam.

jayrob

Well, the lasers are already collimated before the sled optics so a collimating lens is not what you need...

But I believe that a beam expander can reduce divergence by quite a lot. And allow focus at distance from what I read.

But I have never tried one...
Jay

ahh ok . . i thought that once they exit the optics they lose their collimation.

Nope, you use 2 aixiz modules for the red and blue, and a green o-like/rayfoss module for the green.

the red and blue will have lenses in them, so you'd focus them to infinity before the beam enters the sled, so each beam going in should be focused as close to infinity as possible i'd think..

In a normal build like jayrobs, there wont be another lens to catch all 3 beams, it will just exit the sled as is.

But as J said you /could add a beam expander in theory, but i dont think you want to incoorporate burning into this build. this build is aimed at colors more than power really.

as my father used to say "never mess with success"

@sightFX - thats a very good idea... an LOC would most likely project those "wings" quite a bit. i have 2 LCC's i could use. i'll test them both to see wich one is cleaner.

@Jayrob - did you use a meredith glass lens on your red?? or should i leave it acrylic? "i dont see why you would" but im just checking to make sure a meredith wont bump the red up to high and drown out another color... i think green is more the culprit of that though.

So i've chosen the following to use.

GGW6x W/405-G1
LCC20x W/meredith
50mW VERY stable green module

Should i expect a nice colour blend with these choices?? im sure i'd have to balance them out by power "meaning weakening whatever diode is too bright"

Correct me if i am wrong,

Tyler

jayrob

Well, I can tell you what my settings are using a 50mW green module...

Settings:

50mW Green: (O-like/Stock driver/3.0 volt X 2 in parallel) - 39mW's after sled.

Red: (LPC/FlexDrive/AR acrylic/380mA's) - 145mW's after sled.

Blu-ray: (GGW 6X/FlexDrive/405-G-1/185mA's) - 174mW's after sled.

Color/power blend:

Yellow - 184mW's
Magenta - 319mW's
Turquoise - 213mW's
White - 358mW's

I used a 405-G-1 glass lens only because I wanted to get the power I was going for while keeping the current at a fairly conservative level.

The reason I chose the cheaper AR acrylic lens from Virtual Village for the red, was because I could still get plenty of power at only 380mA's.

Note that the power readings are after sled optics.

I have a good color blend with these settings. But at this kind of power, I believe there could be some differences, and still have good results!
Jay

Last edited:

The 2 and a half kits that are spoken for will be ready to go out today or tomorrow. Just putting the final touches on everything. I should have 2-4 more by in stock next Monday or so.

Thanks,

Ryan

50mW Green: (O-like/Stock driver/3.0 volt X 2 in parallel) - 39mW's after sled.

Red: (LPC/FlexDrive/AR acrylic/380mA's) - 145mW's after sled.

Blu-ray: (GGW 6X/FlexDrive/405-G-1/185mA's) - 174mW's after sled.

Jay, will you ever try using an 8x @ 400mW, a LOC at around 200mW and a 75mW green or 100mW green? Or will the powers not be correctly rated for each colour ratio?

sightfx, have you thought about the complete build option?

i think 50mW green is plenty bright, anything higher "may" drown it out. but this is theory. not fact.

Im sure the Jman will swoop in sooner or later to feed us knoledge ;) thats your Q!

and Niko, i will be offering a complete build in about a month :D

Dark

Jay, will you ever try using an 8x @ 400mW, a LOC at around 200mW and a 75mW green or 100mW green? Or will the powers not be correctly rated for each colour ratio?

sightfx, have you thought about the complete build option?

I have an 8x at 441mW, a LOC at 300mW, and an o-like green at 100mW in my setup. I will have to adjust the output to get a good blend, I'll let you know when I figure it out. I have to calc. my loss through the optics first. I used a Dichro in my setup so I should get less power loss than stock PHR optics.