Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: ***Selectable test load up to 3A (assembled or DIY kit)*** IN STOCK!

We pretty much know the Vf of the S06J to be 6V at that current though. For testing any driver I use an input voltage on the driver that will simulate the voltage it will receive in the final build(otherwise why test it). So if you use an X-Drive give it ~8.2V(red diodes can be an exception) to simulate two cells and if you are using an X-Boost give it ~4.1V to simulate one cell. Then we know the Vf of the test load will be 6V on jumper 6(as per spec on the diodes it uses) and the only variable left is measuring the current on the load side to make sure the driver is performing to what you want for the diode.

Also, you don't want to drive a driver with a PSU right exactly at the Vf of your diode otherwise you are not accounting for any Vf of the driver. Power the driver at exactly what it will use in its final build otherwise you might as well not test it at all. Also, X-Boost drivers do not work when driven at the same or more voltage than the diode they are powering.

I'm sorry jander but I really don't get what you are suggesting. Plus, I don't know which of Angelos's numerous videos you are referring to.

Last edited:

You should match the diode Vf + some extra voltage for the 1 ohm resistor. Don't forget that ;)
Try measuring the Vf of all the 6 diodes and sum'ng it.
If the S06J takes 6v @ 400mA, the voltage drop on the diodes should be 5.6V, plus the 400mV (1mA = 1mV) over the resistor, totalling 6V flowing 400mA.

edit: remember the diodes Vf changes with current...

Last edited:
Hmm, I forgot about the Vf changing on the load's diodes. My load gives a Vf of 6V on jumper 7 at 425mA. I mostly use M140s of which jumper 4 nicely matches their Vf over a good range of current so I rarely move it and forgot about the Vf changes :p

Also, the Vf seems to drop drastically the lower the current you give it. I typically use higher currents which result in near spec Vf as well. I guess its a good practice to test the input voltage on the load :p

Hey, Jufran88, I'd like to pick up one of your test loads to use setting up my first build, when you've got them back in stock. PM Coming. Best regards.

I'm interested in one of your DIY kits. Please let me know when you have them back in stock, Thanks :)

PM sent!

(1) available test load either assembled or DIY kit left until the next batch arrives!

Received my test load today. Very fast shipping! A very high quality little device made with a custom circuit board. Feels solid and well made with good solder joints. The free alligator clips also in the package were appreciated. Thanks Jufran88!

received my test loads and everything looks clean super fast shipping

+1 on the alligator clips I was amped about that

plexus

shipping to toronto canada is $25?? any chance to send it 1st class?

Check this hulk out.
IMAG0510_zps279a183a.jpg

a050cd0a-10a4-417a-b1b9-a4556b658f89_zps232de517.jpg

IMAG0508_zps7631d296.jpg

I used Arctic ceramic on the ends and thermal grease in between the end points. Thanks again.

Got my DIY kit in the mail today...that was ultra fast, Thanks Jufran!!! Super easy to assemble and nice quality components! Thank you again :)

Check this hulk out.

I used Arctic ceramic on the ends and thermal grease in between the end points. Thanks again.

Nice overkill lol. Don't forget about the resistor though. I found that mine gets significantly hotter than the diodes with just their small copper heatsinks.

Last edited: