Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: ***MXDL Custom Machined Heatsinks***

jayrob

Re: F.S. ***MXDL Custom Machined Heatsinks***

amkdeath said:
oh BTW, I forgot to tell you guys: my MXDL open can (with jayrob heatsink) was putting out only 130mW before!! with 140mW peak!!

after going from cheap ebay primaries to DX 3.6v rechargeables, I now get readings of 250mW, with 260mW peak! I think the MXDL resistor was a but more than 3ohms, and I am not getting the full 416mA to the diode. anyhow, 250 is awesome!!

Yep...3.6 volt batteries are a necessity. I have built at least 8 open can lasers, and I have never got more than 250mW's @ 420mA's with an acrylic lens. Gazoo has a diode that is HOTTER than normal. And Kenom has a video of an open can in one of his barrels showing over 330mW's with an acrylic lens?? This is at 425mA's.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1205688215/0
Very unusual diode if you ask me. Wish I could find one like that!
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1202452073/195#207 date=1205883916]oh BTW, I forgot to tell you guys: my MXDL open can (with jayrob heatsink) was putting out only 130mW before!! with 140mW peak!!

after going from cheap ebay primaries to DX 3.6v rechargeables, I now get readings of 250mW, with 260mW peak! I think the MXDL resistor was a but more than 3ohms, and I am not getting the full 416mA to the diode. anyhow, 250 is awesome!!

Yep...3.6 volt batteries are a necessity. I have built at least 8 open can lasers, and I have never got more than 250mW's @ 420mA's with an acrylic lens. Gazoo has a diode that is HOTTER than normal. And Kenom has a video of an open can in one of his barrels showing over 330mW's with an acrylic lens?? This is at 425mA's.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1205688215/0
Very unusual diode if you ask me. Wish I could find one like that!
Jay[/quote]

im using a glass lens. at 416mA, it should be putting out at least 280mW, wich leads me to believe the resistor that came with the MXDL is a little more than 3 ohms.

lol, I have a HOT IR diode, all the other ones everyone else gets, and I get, (the same diode from pioneer drive) die out at 200mA. mine is running fine at 250mA, and the driver is running on 2 14500's. its a 160mW IR. preety dang awesome!! lol, I hope I get a HOT open can one day...

jayrob

amkdeath said:
im using a glass lens. at 416mA, it should be putting out at least 280mW, wich leads me to believe the resistor that came with the MXDL is a little more than 3 ohms.

lol, I have a HOT IR diode, all the other ones everyone else gets, and I get, (the same diode from pioneer drive) die out at 200mA. mine is running fine at 250mA, and the driver is running on 2 14500's. its a 160mW IR. preety dang awesome!!  lol, I hope I get a HOT open can one day...

amk, is it an AixiZ glass lens? Or, a Meredith glass lens. I tested the two of them, and the Meredith was at least 40mW more power at 420mA's. The AixiZ glass lens was only 1mW more than an acrylic. But, I don't know if it is a flawed AixiZ glass lens that I have, or what...
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1202452073/195#209 date=1205891546]im using a glass lens. at 416mA, it should be putting out at least 280mW, wich leads me to believe the resistor that came with the MXDL is a little more than 3 ohms.

lol, I have a HOT IR diode, all the other ones everyone else gets, and I get, (the same diode from pioneer drive) die out at 200mA. mine is running fine at 250mA, and the driver is running on 2 14500's. its a 160mW IR. preety dang awesome!! lol, I hope I get a HOT open can one day...

amk, is it an AixiZ glass lens? Or, a Meredith glass lens. I tested the two of them, and the Meredith was at least 40mW more power at 420mA's. The AixiZ glass lens was only 1mW more than an acrylic. But, I don't know if it is a flawed AixiZ glass lens that I have, or what...
Jay[/quote]

I have an aixiz glass, but my tests show the aixiz glass shows 40mW more than the aixiz acrylic...

jayrob

amkdeath said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1202452073/210#210 date=1205893610][quote author=amkdeath link=1202452073/195#209 date=1205891546]im using a glass lens. at 416mA, it should be putting out at least 280mW, wich leads me to believe the resistor that came with the MXDL is a little more than 3 ohms.

lol, I have a HOT IR diode, all the other ones everyone else gets, and I get, (the same diode from pioneer drive) die out at 200mA. mine is running fine at 250mA, and the driver is running on 2 14500's. its a 160mW IR. preety dang awesome!!  lol, I hope I get a HOT open can one day...

Jay[/quote]

I have an aixiz glass, but my tests show the aixiz glass shows 40mW more than the aixiz acrylic...[/quote]

Thanks, I needed someone to let me know about this. I guess I have a flawed AixiZ glass lens then...
Jay

lol, for some reason, there are like 5 helicopters (all with those huge spotlights), a few airplanes (jets I believe), and a lot of sirens going off near my house (police car sirens). the helicopters and airplanes keep flying over and by my house :-/ ....

not a good day to film my beam shots i guess... I did so anyways...]

I think the jets have something to do with that blue angels show (ur in NC, you should know about that)...

sorry for OT

amk

jayrob said:
[quote author=Ifrgtmyname link=1202452073/195#205 date=1205859648]Hey Jayrob, just wandering if you knew where my heatsink was up to; I don't need it in a hurry, just wandering.

Thanks

Ifrgt

I sent it out on Monday, 3/10/08. I'm sure it will show up. It's probably just a slow trip from No. CA, U.S., all the way to England. I would have guessed it would have been there by now. Sometimes the mail system has a little glitch. Not sure if customs slows it down or what. But I do have to fill out a customs slip when I send one out of the country. Keep me informed...
Jay
[/quote]

Got it today and it looks great. I especially like the tis sheet included- it really clear up any grey areas and thx for the resistor. I can say that Jayrob has been a joy to trade with and has kept in contact with me throughout the selling process -- NICE ONE

thanks again

ifrgt

jayrob

Ifrgtmyname said:
Got it today and it looks great. I especially like the tis sheet included- it really clear up any grey areas and thx for the resistor. I can say that Jayrob has been a joy to trade with and has kept in contact with me throughout the selling process -- NICE ONE

thanks again

ifrgt

Glad to here it! Thanks for those kind words.

LarryQ, your blu-ray heatsink is done! It will be in the mail tomorrow. Please let me know how you like it...
Jay

iF i am gonna sell a blu ray on ebay, should I set the starting bid to $.99 with no reserve, or should I do something like $50 with no reserve? how about $.99 with $100 reserve? what do you all suggest?

amkdeath said:
iF i am gonna sell a blu ray on ebay, should I set the starting bid to $.99 with no reserve, or should I do something like $50 with no reserve? how about $.99 with $100 reserve? what do you all suggest?

I would do $50 with a $100 reserve.

i would start at .99- idk y but those auctions always seam to be more popular

I bet that someone has posted info or even pics on removing diodes from DVD burners. But where? <g> I picked up the Sony, as recommended in this thread. Don't want to complicate things if the process is already outlined. I do have access to a large hammer and acetylene torch if necessary. <g>

jayrob

Robert_M said:
I do have access to a large hammer and acetylene torch if necessary. <g>

Lol!...You are just kidding right? That Sony Optiarc harvest is very easy. You should be able to use a tiny screwdriver to carefully pry the diode out...no hammer's or torches!
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=Robert_M link=1202452073/210#219 date=1206189098]I do have access to a large hammer and acetylene torch if necessary. <g>

Lol!...You are just kidding right? That Sony Optiarc harvest is very easy. You should be able to use a tiny screwdriver to carefully pry the diode out...no hammer's or torches!
Jay
[/quote]

taking your frustrations out on a diode is a different story....

I like to use a 50lb Sledge hammer...

got my blu-ray host today, packaging was horrible, and there was nothing left of the box. the flashlight itself is sexy!!!

it looks even sexier with the Custom heatsink!!!!

I am looking forward to this!!

jayrob

amkdeath said:
got my blu-ray host today, packaging was horrible, and there was nothing left of the box. the flashlight itself is sexy!!!

it looks even sexier with the Custom heatsink!!!!

I am looking forward to this!!

Your going to like that blu-ray host amk. Post a picture when you get it together. Tip: test the voltage of the battery pack before you install it into the MXDL. I had to make sure one of the connections was touching one of the battery positives on one of mine...
Jay

P.S. I bought another AixiZ glass lens direct from AixiZ. Tested it and it gave me only 8mW more than an acrylic??