Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Meredith Glass Lenses Fit For AixiZ! +20% Red!

jayrob

FS: (Now 650-G-1) Meredith Glass Lenses Fit For AixiZ!

Update:

Meredith is no longer selling their 'optimized for red' glass lens. They have their new broad band lens now. Their new 405 coated lens is a broad band coating that is decent for both red and blu-ray. But not as good as the 405-G-1 glass lens for blu-ray.

And not as good as my 650-G-1 glass lens mod, which is the same power increase and beam profile as Meredith's 'optimized for red' glass lens was. Here's my 650-G-1 glass lens mod:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...modification-fit-aixiz-25-increase-46332.html

Comparisons shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/power-comparisons-different-lenses-red-blu-ray-33965.html

My 650-G-1 glass lens modifications (fit for AixiZ) give the best performance for our red builds. The same 20% increase in power for red vs AixiZ acrylic (back opened), and the same beam profile as the discontinued Meredith lens.

Meredith:

I am (was, now I have my 650-G-1) making this modification available for Meredith glass lenses fit into the modified AixiZ glass lens nut! :)

Now you can use a Meredith glass lens in any of your builds that have an AixiZ module!

The Meredith glass lens is a different size than the 405-G-1 glass lens shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22497

...So the drilling for the modification needed different sized bits, as well as a different size custom spacer to hold the lens inside the modified metal nut.

The result is absolutely perfect! :)

NO GLUE in my lens assembly! You won't have to worry about if it is glued in straight, or if the glue will begin to dry out or chip with heat. My lens assembly will last a lifetime. And you just may want to take it apart and clean the lens once a year! ;)

If you are into getting all the red light out of your laser, This Meredith mod lens is the way to go!

best regards
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/j...ns-vs-aixiz-standards-37895-3.html#post523008

Kryton%20Meredith.jpg

Glass 405nm23.jpg

The Meredith glass lens is not quite as 'close focus' in design as the 405-G-1 glass lens. So I did not have to cut the spring length to get focus.

As you can see, the fit is perfect! And the 'flip' open aperture cap on this Kryton build, is still perfectly functional!

Note: The length of the nut at focus is similar to the AixiZ glass lens. It does stick out a little farther from the module than the AixiZ acrylic lens. Maybe not quite as far as the AixiZ glass does. But the bottom of the 'finger grip' focus ring is not as 'flush' to the module as my 405-G-1 glass lens modification is.

Here are the comparisons for power differences with three different lenses for this open can red build set at 452mA's: (I normally set the open can's a little lower, but with the 'direct press' design for the diode mounting in a Kryton, I think I may be ok with a little more current)

* AixiZ Acrylic - 265mW's
* AR coated acrylic from Virtual Village - 292mW's (10% increase)
* Meredith glass - 322mW's! :) Over 20% increase vs AixiZ acrylic! (back opened)

Note: These are for AixiZ modules. Sure modules aren't threaded all the way down on the inside where the lens threads in. But I will machine the lens nut to fit a Sure module if you tell me when you order. (I will machine about 1/8" of the threads smooth, so that it will fit the Sure module)

$57 dollars plus $3 dollars shipping. This modification includes the Meredith glass lens installed and the 'finger grip' focus ring as well... You must use your existing spring.

Shipping: Out of U.S. buyer assumes responsibility at that price. It should not be a problem though... (I would mark the package as a gift, with a description of 'Lens Assembly', with a low value of $15)
Jay

P.S. Meredith is no longer selling their 'optimized for red' glass lens. Their new 405 coated lens is a broad band coating that is decent for both red and blu-ray. But not as good as the 405-G-1 glass lens for blu-ray.

And not as good as my 650-G-1 glass lens mod, which is the same power increase and beam profile as Meredith's 'optimized for red' glass lens was. See here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...modification-fit-aixiz-25-increase-46332.html

Also, if you are getting one of these glass lens modifications for your Kryton, I recommend getting a Kryton EzFocus adapter as well!
KFA5.jpg

Kryton EzFocus Adapter! Must see! ;)
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22510

Update:

If you have a DX red (new style dilda) laser, I have a custom Meredith lens modification that works very nice with this laser from DX! :)

DX%20red1.jpg

DX%20red2.jpg

This laser measured 179mW's with it's stock acrylic lens. Then I put the Meredith glass lens modification in there, and it is now at 230mW's! :D

This is a 28% increase in power!

Now normally you can expect 20% increase for red with Meredith glass vs AixiZ acrylic (back opened)

Not sure why this one got 28%, maybe the acrylic lens had degraded a little or something.

But for those who have this laser and want a Meredith glass lens mod, just make sure I know what laser it is for.

Because as shown in the pictures, I have to assemble the lens differently for this laser...

I use the tiny extra spacer because I wanted to make sure that the lens could not touch the diode if the focusing head was turned too far in.

It comes to focus, and still has about 3/4 of a turn left. Plenty for any kind of distance focusing...

Last edited:

Re: FS: Meredith Glass Lenses Fit For AixiZ!

Interesting...
I have an LOC diode set at 450mA with a Meredith module, and it outputs about 330mW...

But why the extra money when you can buy a wobble-less Meredith module for cheaper :-?

jayrob

Spyderz20x6 said:
But why the extra money when you can buy a wobble-less Meredith module for cheaper :-?

This simply allows you to put a Meredith glass lens into an existing build that has an AixiZ module...

Also, there are certain hosts, like the awesome Kryton, that must be used with AixiZ! Now you can have a Meredith glass lens with your Kryton! :)
Jay

P.S. This AixiZ brass lens nut will not wobble at all when wrapped with a little Teflon tape!

Last edited:

jayrob said:
This simply allows you to put a Meredith glass lens into an existing build that has an AixiZ module...

Also, there are certain hosts, like the awesome Kryton, that must be used with AixiZ! Now you can have a Meredith glass lens with your Kryton! :)
Jay
Do you just buy the lenses from Meredith?

jayrob

I have not yet, but I have talked to them about getting just the optical elements without the brass modules...

Turns out, the glass element is the cost factor in their modules. They must get the brass machine work done for really cheap.

But yes, I will be getting the glass elements from Meredith...
Jay

Re: FS: Meredith Glass Lenses Fit For AixiZ! 20% P

Hi Jay,

I know that Meredith is optimized for 6xxnm and your 405-G-1 lens for 4xxnm but due to Milos' surprising success using the 405-G-1 with his red (as documented in your 405-G-1 thread), I'd be interested to know how much more powerful the Meredith is against the 405-G-1.

Again, I'm only asking because Milos gave it a whirl and came up with surprisingly good figures...

Thx  :)

p.s.

Spyderz20x6 said:
Well for one reason, so DIY-illiterates like me can take advantage of the lens in an exisitng AixiZ-based build  :p

jayrob

Re: FS: Meredith Glass Lenses Fit For AixiZ! 20% P

My 405-G-1 glass lens modification does work very well for red as I mentioned in my thread...

But not as good as the Meredith glass lens does. (for red)

I just did a comparison of the two glass lenses in my 'Ice Box' TEC cooled open can build which is set at 450mA's.

* 405-G-1 glass lens - 302mW's.
* Meredith glass lens - 316mW's!

That's about a 5% increase using the Meredith glass lens for red. (vs the 405 lens)

Now to be fair, using these two glass lenses in comparison with a blu-ray build is not even close. The 405-G-1 glass lens will give 18% more power vs Meredith glass, and at least 26% increase vs AixiZ acrylic! (back opened) :)
Jay

Edit: Just to note that the manufacturer of the 405-G-1 glass lenses does offer different AR coatings for this same optic. Here is the 'full' data sheet for the 405-G-1 glass lens that I am getting:
(Data sheet for this 405-G-1 glass lens)
Glass 405nm18.jpg

Both of these glass lenses are much better than acrylic for red as well as blu-ray. For red, comparing to AixiZ acrylic (back opened), you will get at least 20% more power using Meredith glass.

Note: All comparisons to AixiZ acrylic is with the 'back opened'.

Comparisons: Including AixiZ glass:
Compared to AixiZ acrylic, I get only 4 to 5% more with AixiZ glass for red. AixiZ glass has 3 elements. This is why it has less gain than the other 'single element' glass lenses, even though it is AR coated for red. Plus, AixiZ glass in not as 'short focus' in design.

Comparisons: (red open can)
AixiZ acrylic vs AixiZ glass - Gain 4 to 5%
AixiZ acrylic vs AR coated acrylic from Virtual Village - Gain 10%
AixiZ acrylic vs Meredith acrylic - No gain, or very minimal gain
AixiZ acrylic vs Meredith glass - Gain about 20%
AixiZ acrylic vs 405-G-1 glass lens - Gain about 15%
(New broad band glass lens from Meredith - About 2 or 3% less than their 'optimized for red' glass lens with red)

Comparisons: (blu-ray)
AixiZ acrylic vs 405-G-1 glass - Gain 26 to 28%
Meredith glass vs 405-G-1 glass - Gain 18%
AixiZ acrylic vs AixiZ glass - 7% less with AixiZ glass for blu-ray
(New broad band glass lens from Meredith - About 3 or 4% less vs my 405-G-1 glass lens with blu-ray)

P.S. For Meredith, there are two different glass lenses available now. I have tried both of them. I use the best one for red with my Meredith glass fit for AixiZ mod. Their new 405 coated lens is a broad band coating that is decent for both red and blu-ray. But not as good as the 405-G-1 glass lens for blu-ray, and not as good as their original 'optimized for red' lens that I am using for my Meredith/AixiZ mod for red.

P.S. I believe Meredith will be replacing their 'optimized for red' glass lens, with their new broad band glass lens.

Last edited:

jayrob

Re: FS: Meredith Glass Lenses Fit For AixiZ! +20%

ohada, your Meredith glass lens modification fit for AixiZ and other items will be in Monday's mail!

Please post back here with your results! :)
Jay

jayrob

Kage, I got more Meredith glass today...

I will have your Meredith glass lens mod fit for AixiZ in tomorrow's mail! (Thrusday)
Jay

jayrob

ryanwu, I'll have your Meredith glass/AixiZ mod in tomorrow's mail. As well as you 405-G-1 glass lens mod!

Hope you like them! :)
Jay

jayrob

RobertC, your Meredith glass lens modification fit for AixiZ shipped today with your other item...

Sure would be nice to see some comments from you guys on your results! :)
Jay

jayrob

larrball, just to let you know that your Meredith glass mod fit for AixiZ is shipping today. (Monday)

Hope you like it! :)
Jay

jayrob said:
Sure would be nice to see some comments from you guys on your results!

Agreed - A:B testing please :D

jayrob

Dark_Horse, your Meredith glass lens mod is shipping today. (Monday)

Please report back with your results. I have been getting 20% increase in power with red vs AixiZ acrylic...

Thanks!
Jay

jayrob

Len, I shipped your Meredith glass fit for AixiZ modification today...

Thanks!
Jay

jayrob said:
Dark_Horse, your Meredith glass lens mod is shipping today. (Monday)

Please report back with your results. I have been getting 20% increase in power with red vs AixiZ acrylic...

Thanks!
Jay

Got my lenses yesterday, I am using the new lens in one of my personal "Slivers" running a LDOC driven by a Flex-Drive set to 410mA. Like in the 405-g-1-thread, I should mention, my meter is reading low and needs to be calibrated, but the percentage-increase should remain constant.
Here are my readings:
Aixiz Acrylic- 233mW
Aixiz Glass- 240mW
Meredith glass- 290mW

A 57mW increase, very nice ;)