Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Maglite 'Stubby' Kit For Large Li-Ion 32600

jayrob

Update: Might as well scratch this thread and just click on this link! :D

Also, check out my new 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Modification kit! Awesome!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-1000-lumen-xm-l-t6-maglite-modification-kit-parts-complete-flashlight-59581.html

Maglite D 'Stubby'

Here's a cool little mod that I did for setting up a large capacity single Li-Ion Maglite... (see the bottom of this first post for a Q5 set up)

This Maglite modification, makes a great sized Flashlight mod, or a laser too!

If you wanted to make this into a laser, all you would need to do is just add the $38 dollar heatsink to the basic kit price shown below, and it would be great for a FlexDrive! (or dual FlexDrives!) The switch prep shown below would also be needed for the laser mod...

Heatsink shown here for laser build:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...exmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

Flashlight mod: (coming soon, is this same mod, but using a high powered driver with the XM-L T6 emitter) :)

* Using a high capacity 32600 (or 32650, or 26650)
* And a Terralux Cree LED (TLE 6EXB) emitter

Mag%20Stub%201.jpg

Basically a really nice capacity, very nice Maglite finish, and heavy duty side button forward clicky in a shortened configuration!

Nice to have a 6000mAh capacity battery that won't leak like an Alkaline...

Just check the battery voltage once in a while to make sure it doesn't get over discharged if your battery is unprotected... (Until you get the feel for how long it will go between charges)

Emitter:
TLE-6EXB items - Get great deals on Sporting Goods, Electronics items on eBay.com!

The TLE 6EXB emitter, is made to just replace the stock bulb. It's an easy change out! :cool:

Mag%20Stub%207.jpg

It is the 140 lumen LED that is set up for 3 to 4.5 volts. (the driver is inside the emitter housing) This is perfect for the large capacity 32600 single Li-Ion.

So it's not a super bright light. But it will have a really great run time. (like about 10 hours) And still be fairly bright. Plus the nice sizing of the light, and a rechargeable Li-Ion battery than won't leak like an Alkaline... :cool:

Here's some battery sources:

I have 6000mAh 32650 cells here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-feilong-6000mah-32650-li-ion-batteries-71201.html

Here's a source for 26650's:
LiMnNi Rechargeable 26650 Cell: 3.7V 4000 mAh, 10A rated 14.8Wh - UN Approved (NDGR)

If you go with a 26650, I have the perfect size fiberglass tubing to make a sleeve that is available with the kit. (see pricing below)

Charger:
If you don't want to mess with magnets and spacers while charging, you will need this charger:
Ultrafire WF-188 Charger for 14500 / 17500 / 18500 / 18650 / RCR123 3.7 volt Lithium Battery Charger

Mag%20Stub%202.jpg

Mag%20Stub%203.jpg

Mag%20Stub%204.jpg

Mag%20Stub%205.jpg

Maglite 2 D available colors...

Mag%20D%209.jpg

Mag%20D%203.jpg

Pricing for basic 'Stubby' kit:

* Maglite 2 D host - $29 (or send me your Maglite - any D size Maglite can be cut down)
* Fiberglass sleeve for 26650 if needed - $7
* Re-size the host as shown above - $28
* Heatsink (if doing a laser build) - $38
* Prep host (switch) with lead wires (if doing a laser build) - $10
* 6000mAh 32650 - $24
* Shipping will be based on PayPal fees plus postage. (PM for total)

Hope you like it! :)

P.S. I have some Maglite monster laser kits as well! Shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...exmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

Here's my Q5 mod for the Maglite 'Stubby':

I just used the pill and Q5 emitter from an Aurora SH-032 flashlight.

It has 3 modes. High, low, and strobe...

Switch prep:

Mag%203.jpg

Battery prep:

Mag%20Stub%2014.jpg

This is a 'Picture Tutorial' of the assembly...

Mag%20Stub%208.jpg

Mag%20Stub%209.jpg

Mag%20Stub%2010.jpg

Mag%20Stub%2011.jpg

Mag%20Stub%2012.jpg

Mag%20Stub%2013.jpg

Current draw:

Using a single, 5000mAh capacity 32600 Li-Ion battery...

* High - 1085mA's: Estimated run time - Over 4 1/2 hours.
* Low - 140mA's: Estimated run time - Over 30 hours!

Not a bad little emitter/driver/battery combo for this high capacity, but nice sized flashlight mod! :)

Mag%20Stub%201.jpg

Take a look at an Easy Maglite P7 modification here!
http://laserpointerforums.com/f66/easy-maglite-p7-mod-nice-59118.html

Last edited:

That looks great! I might be interested in getting one after the holidays. Do you have pictures of the inside, particularly of the LED? And is there a heatsink, or is the LED just glued onto the part where the bulb is supposed to be screwed?

jayrob

Nothing gets changed on the front end of the light except for the emitter. (if your light doesn't already have that emitter)

The TLE 6EXB emitter (linked in the first post), is made to just replace the stock bulb. It's an easy change out! :cool:

Mag%20Stub%207.jpg

It is the 140 lumen LED that is set up for 3 to 4.5 volts. (the driver is inside the emitter housing) This is perfect for the large capacity 32600 single Li-Ion...
(I think I'll add this information to the first post)

So it's not a super bright light. But it will have a really great run time. (like about 10 hours) And still be fairly bright. Plus the nice sizing of the light, and a rechargeable Li-Ion that won't leak like an Alkaline... :)

P.S. I will soon show a really easy modification for a P7 emitter. Using a Maglite 2D, with 2 X 32600 Li-Ions, and a drop in P7 module that is an aluminum reflector with a copper heatsink for the P7 emitter.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14413

Also a glass lens for the front!
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25231

Last edited:
That looks pretty easy! How would a 32600 runtime compare to two 18650's? I'd make this into an R5 light.

Fenix has a 2D light with an XP-G R5 and it is listed with a runtime of only 2h 45m at 255 lumens, so I wouldn't expect anything truly spectacular from it.

Edit: TK50

Last edited:

jayrob

255 lumens??

The P7 mod I'm talking about, using a Maglite 2D with 2 X 32600 Li-on batteries should be between 700 and 900 lumens with over 3 hrs. run time between charges... :) (edited after building and testing it out)

The single battery 'Stubby' shown above should be some serious run time. I'll test the battery current draw soon, and report back. But I'm guessing that the 140 lumen emitter will only be drawing maybe 400mA's to 600mA's max. So if that's the case, the single, 5000mAh 32600, will probably last around 8 to 12 hours between charges!

It's only 140 lumens, but that's still fairly bright for that kind of run time. :cool:

Last edited:
Fenix has a 2D light with an XP-G R5 and it is listed with a runtime of only 2h 45m at 255 lumens, so I wouldn't expect anything truly spectacular from it.

Edit: TK50

I don't know D batteries very well, but I know that you can run an R5 on an 18650 for around 3 hours. With the 32600 you should get some really amazing runtimes!

An R5 will have a very similar brightness to a P7, and with three times the runtime. I'd take one over a P7 any day! And if you're looking at out the front lumens, it's closer to 320 vs 450 lumens, which is a noticeable but slight difference. The P7 heats up really fast, and the R5 stays cool. Also, an XP-G will give you more throw if you want it.

Jayrob, do you have a datasheet or any specs for the LED? Like how much light per current?

Last edited:

jayrob

Are you asking about the P7?

Or about the TLE 6EXB?

I see those R5 modules on DX and they say they are 320 lumens.

The P7 will do up to 900 lumens with the proper driver and supply, but were talking 2.8 Amps...

That's why the module I linked is an aluminum reflector, and a copper heatsink for the emitter.

So if you want a really bright Maglite, that will work with the 32600's for a couple of hours run time. (glass lens linked too) Actual run tiime will depend on what the current draw really is. (as well as the true battery capacity) It's most likely going to be a little less than 2.8 Amps current draw. (guessing)

But it will probably be at least twice the light output vs an R5...

Edit: But if you wanted an R5 in a Maglite, I'm sure it could be done. And it would be some serious run time using the large capacity 32600 Li-Ions! :)

Last edited:
255 lumens??

The P7 mod I'm talking about, using a Maglite 2D with 2 X 32600 Li-on batteries should be drawing about 2.6 Amps or so, and give between 700 and 900 lumens with nearly 2 hrs. run time between charges... :)

The single battery 'Stubby' shown above should be some serious run time. I'll test the battery current draw soon, and report back. But I'm guessing that the 140 lumen emitter will only be drawing maybe 400mA's to 600mA's max. So if that's the case, the single, 5000mAh 32600, will probably last around 8 to 12 hours between charges!

It's only 140 lumens, but that's still fairly bright for that kind of run time. :cool:
That was directed at randomlugia, sorry for any confusion.

I don't know D batteries very well, but I know that you can run an R5 on an 18650 for around 3 hours. With the 32600 you should get some really amazing runtimes!

An R5 will have a very similar brightness to a P7, and with three times the runtime. I'd take one over a P7 any day! And if you're looking at out the front lumens, it's closer to 320 vs 450 lumens, which is a noticeable but slight difference. The P7 heats up really fast, and the R5 stays cool. Also, an XP-G will give you more throw if you want it.

Jayrob, do you have a datasheet or any specs for the LED? Like how much light per current?

Agreed, an R5 would be a lot better than a P7, but if you're going to use a 32600 I'd got for an SST-50 or an XM-L. You can get 12Ah NiMh D cells rather easily, but if you're using those I'd suggest a good driver and several. One thing the P7 will always lose to the R5 is the beam profile, but if you really drive it the P7 blows the R5 away, and at that point I'll deal with a donut beam for that kind of lumen output for the price. :beer:

jayrob

Here's a site that has data on different emitters including the P7:
Seoul P7 Emitter by LED-TECH.de

Edit:

Ok this looks good. A little pricey, but an easy 'drop in' emitter/driver/heatsink set up that will give 260 lumens at about 1 Amp current draw. (says some slight modification needed for the stock reflector - looks easy)
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-module-for-36-dcell-to-fit-maglite-p-1.html

I'm ordering one because I think that this will be a great 'long running', pretty bright mod for a Maglite 2D with 2 X 32600's! :D

Last edited:
One thing the P7 will always lose to the R5 is the beam profile, but if you really drive it the P7 blows the R5 away, and at that point I'll deal with a donut beam for that kind of lumen output for the price. :beer:

Sure it can beat the R5 if you REALLY drive it, but with that many amps you could be using a triple R5 with the same runtime.
wink.gif
Put a 3x R5 light next to a P7, both driven at 4.5 amps, and then tell me which one's brighter.
grin.gif
I had actually forgotten about the new XM-L, I've still got to try one...

And I know what you mean "for the price", but for me it's still just a bump in brightness and doesn't justify the runtime loss, worse beam, and heat buildup. I guess it really just depends on how you plan to use it, I'm thinking of it as an every night carry sort of light to walk around the yard and paths with.

Jayrob- what I was saying was that while it's a huge difference in LED lumens, once you get down to torch lumens the difference isn't so great. When I asked about the datasheet I meant the Terralux LED, wanting to compare the efficiency to an XP-G.

You should be really happy with the Malkoff drop-ins, Gene does some great stuff!

Last edited:

jayrob

I just now took a pill with Q5, out of one of my SS 18650 (SH-032) flashlights and made an extra heatsink to mount the emitter onto, and it's pretty nice in the little 'Stubby' with a single 32600...

It has the 3 modes. High is 1 Amp draw. Then there is low and a strobe mode...

Even on high, it will be 4 or 5 hours run time... (probably about 220 lumens for Q5 at 1 Amp)

Mag%20Stub%208.jpg

Mag%20Stub%209.jpg

I heard a lot of rumors that the DX flashlights are over estimated in lumens. Especially vs. Surefire. The only non-chinese -fire brand.

Oh and What is the most powerful LED out?

Hey Jay is there any possibility for a Phlatlight (The kind in the projectors) emitter in a handheld? Maybe a different color than red though.

That would be badass.