Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Maglite 2 C Modification Kit! - 2 X 26500/FlexModP3!

jayrob

Also, check out my new Maglite 2 D build kits! (and others) Awesome!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-large-maglite-kits-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

These Maglite modifications for monster builds were inspired by DTR...

After machining his Frankenstein kit, and then seeing his custom 26650 builds, I decided to find some hosts that can fit these huge Li-Ion batteries...

I can do this same modification with a Maglite 2 D host. Using 2 X 32600 Li-Ion's:
32600 3.7V 5000mAh D Li-ion Cell [E4753] : BestOfferBuy.com, Buy DVD, Shop for PC accessories, Discount MP3 Players, Bargain Deal for Surveillance Equipment, Cheap R4 for NDS, X-sim Unlock

Which will fit perfectly in a Maglite 2 D host. So that's the ticket for a Maglite 2 D with FlexModP3... (or if those batteries are not available, it will be an easy fit using 2 X 26650's with my custom sleeve and a tail cap mod)

See here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...exmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

For a 445 build, you can get your diode pre-installed into an AixiZ module with lead wires soldered on from daguin or DTR.

In that case, you will just connect your diode leads, to my driver leads... ('Hot' option kit)

This is the Maglite 2 C! Which has been modified to fit 2 X 26500 Li-Ion batteries, with a FlexModP3 'Hot' option available!

Mag%20C%207.jpg

This is one awesome build with a massive heatsink for both the diode, as well as the FlexModP3 driver...

The FlexModP3 driver is excellent! It is so superbly smooth! It adjusts pretty much 100mA's per 1/2 turn. Very constant and stable output!

It is large though, so you need a good size host for it. It is also not cheap. The driver alone will cost over $40 bucks. But worth it! :)

Here's the documentation for the FlexModP3:
http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/FlexModP3/FlexModP3_Manual.pdf

I've seen the Maglite 2 C in black and silver. There may be other colors available as well:

* Very high quality host and finish
* Excellent side button forward clicky (momentary on, or click on)

Lead Wires:

In order to make room inside, the switch must be taken apart. The bulb holder is removed, and lead wires soldered onto the contact points. Then the switch is reinstalled...

Mag%20C%201.jpg

2 X 26500 Li-Ion battery modification:

Some modification was needed in order to fit the host for these gnarly batteries...

Check out the size of these bad boys!

Mag%20C%209.jpg

Mag%20C%2010.jpg

26500 Li-Ion batteries:
AW IMR 26500 2300mAh LiMN rechargeable lithium battery

25500's: The barrel would not have to be bored out with these!
DealExtreme: $9.28 Protected 25500 3.7V "5500mAh" Rechargeable Lithium Battery (but would need a custom tail cap and spring mod)

If you don't want to mess with magnets and spacers while charging, you will need this charger:
Ultrafire WF-188 Charger for 14500 / 17500 / 18500 / 18650 / RCR123 3.7 volt Lithium Battery Charger

Mag%20C%202.jpg

Mag%20C%203.jpg

Mag%20C%208.jpg

When doing the tail cap mod, it's important to check for continuity. Because there is a light coating on the inside of the cap, as well as the entire host. (I believe it is a light clear coat finish) Certain parts are not coated. Parts that make contact for path to negative. So it's just a matter of a light machining to the inside of the cap, and making sure the spring is getting good contact...

Massive heatsink for the module and FlexModP3 driver:

The huge heatsink will be plenty of mass for both the module, as well as the driver...

Maglite heatsink.jpg

FlexModP3 'Hot' option:

Mag%20hot%202.jpg

Mag%20hot%201.jpg

Mag%20C%204.jpg

Mag%20C%205.jpg

Mag%20C%206.jpg

'Hot' option assembly tips: (FlexModP3)

Tools needed:
* 1.5mm Allen wrench for the module set screw
* 3mm Allen wrench for the driver heatsink set screw

With the 'Hot' option kit, the FlexModP3 driver current will be adjusted to the setting that you request, and be ready for the diode.

In order to install the diode, you will have to first remove the driver from the heatsink. (easy to do - there is a set screw that is a 3mm Allen wrench)

You will be using only the front 'business end' of the AixiZ module...

Then solder your diode/module on, and put the module, with driver back onto the heatsink. It can be done in 5 minutes...

All you need to do is make sure the driver is centered. As shown in the pictures above! :rolleyes:

If you feel that the driver could possible make contact with the host, it may be wise to wrap the driver with some thin tape. Even scotch tape will work. There’s not a lot of room for thick tape with a Maglite C host. But the Maglite D host has plenty of room…

Then connect the driver leads, to the host leads using heat shrink tubing to insulate the solder joints.

And finally, just carefully set the assembly in place, and screw the retaining ring on. Making sure that the heatsink does not ‘twist’. (wires)

This combination of 2 X 26500 Li-Ion batteries and the FlexModP3 driver, will allow all the current you want for your 445 diode.

As you can see from the pictures, the heatsink is plenty massive...

And once again, the Maglite has a very high quality side button forward clicky!

Setting up your own FlexModP3 driver:

If you want to set up your own FlexModP3 driver, DTR has a tutorial shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/how-set-up-flexmod-p3-handheld-laser-56572.html#post798901

There was a little confusion on exactly what resistor to use for the V+ to Mod+ jumper, so I contacted drlava, and told him that I wanted to use a resistor that would allow either 2 X Li-Ion's, or 3 X Li-Ion's to be used. (just to avoid confusion, and set it up the same way for either build)

So that's why I use a 1.5 K Ohm 1/2 Watt resistor for this jumper...

And if you want to just print out my Word document showing the procedure, here's the file: (I borrowed a couple of pictures from DTR and put labels on them, plus a picture of my own as well)

It's about a 4MB file, so it may take a minute to download:
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/FlexModP3 Setup.doc

Kit pricing options:

* Maglite 2 C host - $28 (or send me yours)
* Heatsink - $38
* Prep switch with lead wires - $10
* Bore out the barrel of the host and fit the tail cap spring - $20
* FlexModP3 driver and 'Hot' option - $70 (let me know what current setting)
* 1/2" copper module - $25 (if desired, but not really needed with this huge heatsink)
* AixiZ module - $5
* AixiZ 445 lens - $11
* 405-G-1 glass lens - $55
* 650-G-1 glass lens - $52
* Shipping will be 3% of total plus postage (PM for total)
* Shipping Policy

This kit will perform the same as DTR's Frankenstein build shown here: (diode efficiency will vary)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/2w-445-dtr-frankenstein-ultrafire-rl-2088-handheld-host-56255.html

I have D size Maglite kits as well. I can set it up various ways as shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-large-maglite-kits-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

Time for some serious photons! :cool:

Hope you like it! :)

Last edited:

DTR

These Maglite modifications for monster builds were inspired by DTR...

I'll be waiting on my royalty checks.:p

Another great looking host there Jay. Using only 8.4V it should produce a little less heat from the driver as well.:gj:

jayrob

Glad you like it! :)

I'll be waiting on my royalty checks.:p

Another great looking host there Jay. Using only 8.4V it should produce a little less heat from the driver as well.:gj:

It should be the perfect setup...

Since the FlexModP3 needs 1.5 volts supply above diode demand, it will stay in regulation until the supply gets to 6 volts or lower. (depending on the diode efficiency and diode voltage for what ever current setting)

Nice find with these huge batteries!

Morgan

Whoa! Bride of Frankenstein!!! What a b*tch!

Nice job Jay.

Just for other options, (in case the Flexmod price is putting anyone off the rest of this powerful kit), you could use simple LM*** based linear drivers couldn't you? (I forget the number for the higher output one). The power source should be adequate to run a 2Watter this way as well?

M
:)

jayrob

Well the FlexModP3 only requires 1.5 volts above the diode voltage demand...

So that's why it works great with only 2 X Li-Ion's. Plus you can adjust current to as much as you want and more!

An LM317 based driver will need about 3 volts over diode demand. So you would need 3 X Li-Ion's.

Or it would not keep regulating for the full capacity of the supply. With only two Li-Ion's, it would probably start to drop power at around 7.3 volts or so...

But yeah, you could use a 1 Ohm 2 Watt resistor with an LM317, and it would give you 1250mA's...

Here's a link for such a resistor:
Cascade Surplus Electronics

DTR

Also don't forget the part that makes the P3 seem inexpensive. The LD protection. If you loose a diode then you did not save any money in fact you lost money. I can disconnect a diode and connect it back up with the P3 powered on and it wont LED the diode.:beer:

jayrob

That's a new one on me!

Hmmm, I thought I read that you must remember to short the leads just like we're used to doing with all drivers...

Morgan

Well the FlexModP3 only requires 1.5 volts above the diode voltage demand...

So that's why it works great with only 2 X Li-Ion's. Plus you can adjust current to as much as you want and more!

An LM317 based driver will need about 3 volts over diode demand. So you would need 3 X Li-Ion's.

Or it would not keep regulating for the full capacity of the supply. With only two Li-Ion's, it would probably start to drop power at around 7.3 volts or so...

But yeah, you could use a 1 Ohm 2 Watt resistor with an LM317, and it would give you 1250mA's...

Here's a link for such a resistor:
Cascade Surplus Electronics

Good points all... I hadn't thought of that.

M
:)

Benm

Interesting build, sure looks solid!

I was actually thinking about using mag host at some point for the 445... but then a 6D powered by NiMH sells. Those would give 7.2 volts in series, enough to work with a low drop linear driver and a 445. This would save a lot of modification, probably you would only need the front heatsink.

A somewhat less overkill-sized design could be based on a 2D maglite, modified to take lithium cells, or even using 6 AA sized NiMHs in two of those 3-AA-holders. Current shouldn't be a problem, even AA sized ones provide a couple of amps easily, although they will not last long.

D sized ones are often rated at 12 Ah, so you could power the laser a whole workday provided that there is enough cooling (which i actually doubt).

DTR

That's a new one on me!

Hmmm, I thought I read that you must remember to short the leads just like we're used to doing with all drivers...

I believe it is part of the open circuit protection. I could be wrong but I did accidentally test it once.:eek:

jayrob

Interesting build, sure looks solid!

I was actually thinking about using mag host at some point for the 445... but then a 6D powered by NiMH sells. Those would give 7.2 volts in series, enough to work with a low drop linear driver and a 445. This would save a lot of modification, probably you would only need the front heatsink.

A somewhat less overkill-sized design could be based on a 2D maglite, modified to take lithium cells, or even using 6 AA sized NiMHs in two of those 3-AA-holders. Current shouldn't be a problem, even AA sized ones provide a couple of amps easily, although they will not last long.

D sized ones are often rated at 12 Ah, so you could power the laser a whole workday provided that there is enough cooling (which i actually doubt).

I have a D size kit, and did some testing with Alkaline's, but NiMH will be what is needed for high current draw in a 3 C / FlexDrive build...

Edit: But for 2 D size Maglites, I would recommend the same setup as this Maglite 2 C, using a 2 D Maglite, with 2 X 32600 Li-Ion batteries and a FlexModP3...

DTR just showed me these batteries:
http://www.bestofferbuy.com/32600-37v-5000mah-d-liion-cell-p-14496.html

Which will fit perfectly in a Maglite 2 D host. So that's the ticket for a Maglite 2 D with FlexModP3...

Thanks for the find DTR! :cool:

Last edited:

Benm

I don't know about alkalines, perhaps they can work with a switching driver, but they are a nightmare for linear ones. If you want to get even half the energy out of them, you have to drain them from 1.5 to 1.0 volt or so. With 6 in series that would start out at 9 volts, and have to hold regulation to six.

The flat discharge curve is a nice aspect of nihm and nicd batteries, you're probably looking at a voltage difference of 0.1 volts a cell between 95% and 20% remaining energy when discharging at 1C or less.

jayrob

There are two different builds shown there. The FlexDrive one is after the FlexModP3 build shown first...

With a FlexDrive, which only requires 2 volts input, 3 X D size NiMH batteries works great...

Last edited:

Serac

Another awesome kit Jayrob, The other thing I like about the FlexModP3 is that because of its range it is pretty future proof too