Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Large Maglite Monster Kits! FlexModP3, Side Button Forward Clicky!

Hey,
I just want to give you my experience with the Monster-Mag.
I got it 2 Weeks ago and since I ordered the Hot-Option I only had to solder 4 Wires into the right place, put batteries in it, put on my safety glasses and have fun.
BUT it was not that easy. As for the cells I am using A123 LiFePO4 cells that have somewhat of an inverted layout. The negative site has the small thing (not sure how to say that in Englisch, but it is almost like the positive site on a Nimh-Battery, I hope you get it) and the positive site is just flat metal. (I got this knowledge after what happened^^.) So I wasn't really thinking about some different battery layout and put it in the Mag the wrong way.

I turned it on - tried to - nothing happened, screwed it apart to check connection between the wires and tried it again. Then I just heard a loud "popp" and saw smoke coming from the head. I instantly put it off and removed the batteries.
To make this short, I killed the driver and the huge resistor exploded.
I ordered a new driver from Jay and got it really fast, thanks for that again.

And now it finally works and looks great.
The build is incredible, heatsinking is great, there seems to be no end as to how long you can run it.
If I had turned my brain on before the first try, I am sure, I could have prevented buying a new driver.

Host: The 2D-Host is really great. I got it with the color "smoke" and it feels really good in your hand, because with batteries in it, it has just the right weight to not feel out of balance. The clicky does feel great as well, in fact it seems to be able to handle a lot higher current.

Cells: The A123 Cells are a good choice for a laser, if you actually remember that they look different - as I wrote above. You can charge them in about 15-20mins which is a rate of 4C. My loader only gets up to 8 Amps and the cells have 2600mAh, so I can not try the maximum, but at 8 Amps they are not even getting warm.
There is but one negative point about the combination of these cells and the Maglite: The negative contact is too small to make safe contact to the spring of the host. So I got a coin and put it in between. This is not the best solution, but works fine until now.

All in all this is a absolutely great laser at a very good price and the support is great as well. Thanks to Jayrob again for making this possible and for the great work.

Greets from Germany

Andreas

Can you post a link to the cells you bought? I bought the protected 32650s and I don't want to make the same mistake you did. BTW, I bought mine from novae

jayrob

Can you post a link to the cells you bought? I bought the protected 32650s and I don't want to make the same mistake you did. BTW, I bought mine from novae

The 32650's are what the kit is designed for...

So as long as you ordered it with the custom tail cap mod for fitting the protected cells, your good to go...

If I got the G1 lens, is there anything I can put around the focus ring like an EZfocus adapter so I don't burn my fingers when focusing?

jayrob

If I got the G1 lens, is there anything I can put around the focus ring like an EZfocus adapter so I don't burn my fingers when focusing?

Yes, the 405-G-1 comes with the AixiZ focus ring, but I can also make a custom EzFocus adapter for it...

What host do you have for it?

Yes, the 405-G-1 comes with the AixiZ focus ring, but I can also make a custom EzFocus adapter for it...

What host do you have for it?

I will be buying this one. I am the one emailing you about the down payment.

You should say that an EZfocus adapter isn't really necessary in the OP, just to be clear.

jayrob

You should say that an EZfocus adapter isn't really necessary in the OP, just to be clear.

Well that's a matter of opinion and personal taste...

Is any of it necessary? :crackup:

Do I need it? No...

Do I want it? Yes! :beer:

jayrob

Couple of updates for this mod...

I can do some custom configuration as follows:

If you want a key switch wired to activate an LED, then I can set that up so that the key switch lights the LED when the laser is armed, but the laser won't turn on until you then hit the side button.

For a single cell 'Stubby' build, I would use a 3 volt LED (blue or green), and a 3 volt regulator for it.

Better yet, if you go with a 2 cell build, you can use my voltage monitor set up shown in my 1000 lumen Mag thread:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...ltage-monitor-parts-complete-light-59581.html

Mag%20XM-L%20T6%2032.jpg

I could wire the voltage monitor to come on with the key switch. And it would also 'arm' the laser so that it will then be able to turn on with the side button.

But it will need a 2 cell (2D Mag host) build for the voltage monitor. (changes colors to let you know your battery voltage - blue is full, cyan very good, green good, yellow low, red means charge - and doubles as an 'armed' indicator light) :cool:

With a 2 cell build and voltage monitor, you will not have room for the FlexModP3, but you can easily have a 1.8 Amp build using a Jib driver or an X-drive from lazeerer. (nice buck driver)

I have both drivers available.

I have Feilong 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion cells available as well! :beer:

PM for pricing on a custom set up...

Liar !

Jay says it only takes 5 mins to construct the Maglite Monster 'Hot' kit. Let me just say it took me well over 12 mins. But to be fair 5 mins was looking for an appropriate sized shrink wrap in my piles of RC stuff.

Hats off to Jay for this kit !

I will also take this opportunity to point the readers over to Jay's 1,000 Lumen XM-LT6 Mag build.

Due to Jay's marketing prowess and overall genius, while I was waiting for the MagMonster build, I was overcome by hunger pangs for the XM, so I ordered one of those too !

Jay shipped both a couple of days ago, and I was figuring on an arrival on Monday. Not so ! Got both today, put the laser batteries on for charge, 'built' the Hot kit, played with the charged XM while the MagMonster charged, enjoyed a cold beverage until two green lights on charger indicated the momment had come for the MagMonster, loaded the batteries.

To my horror, a big blue blob showed up on the wall when I hit the on button. Not to worry, the focus on these rascals really is tight to the diode, so I spun it down and whammo, nice little focused dash shows up. Had I not poured over the forums, I would not have known the the 405-G-1 lenses cast a focused dash vs. a round dot, so all was well. Sweet !

Just want to say, for a first time purchase, both the MagMonster and XM have made the experience sweet. Jay is a class act, he charged the XM light batteries, provides you with all the left over spare parts from the Mag conversions, and support/advice has been premium.

Best of all, I get the tale-tell acknowledgement of success from my wife's roll of the eyes as I proudly display my treasures.

Thanks again for the quality, help, and dedication to this hobby. Although I can't say I've truely built a laser yet, sure is exciting to head in that direction.

I will try to post some photos afterdark of both of these works of art in action.

Pigsnibble

jayrob

Liar !

Jay says it only takes 5 mins to construct the Maglite Monster 'Hot' kit. Let me just say it took me well over 12 mins. But to be fair 5 mins was looking for an appropriate sized shrink wrap in my piles of RC stuff.

Hats off to Jay for this kit !

I will also take this opportunity to point the readers over to Jay's 1,000 Lumen XM-LT6 Mag build.

Due to Jay's marketing prowess and overall genius, while I was waiting for the MagMonster build, I was overcome by hunger pangs for the XM, so I ordered one of those too !

Jay shipped both a couple of days ago, and I was figuring on an arrival on Monday. Not so ! Got both today, put the laser batteries on for charge, 'built' the Hot kit, played with the charged XM while the MagMonster charged, enjoyed a cold beverage until two green lights on charger indicated the momment had come for the MagMonster, loaded the batteries.

To my horror, a big blue blob showed up on the wall when I hit the on button. Not to worry, the focus on these rascals really is tight to the diode, so I spun it down and whammo, nice little focused dash shows up. Had I not poured over the forums, I would not have known the the 405-G-1 lenses cast a focused dash vs. a round dot, so all was well. Sweet !

Just want to say, for a first time purchase, both the MagMonster and XM have made the experience sweet. Jay is a class act, he charged the XM light batteries, provides you with all the left over spare parts from the Mag conversions, and support/advice has been premium.

Best of all, I get the tale-tell acknowledgement of success from my wife's roll of the eyes as I proudly display my treasures.

Thanks again for the quality, help, and dedication to this hobby. Although I can't say I've truely built a laser yet, sure is exciting to head in that direction.

I will try to post some photos afterdark of both of these works of art in action.

Pigsnibble

Love to see good feedback... :)

Glad your builds went well.

Yeah the 445 diodes make a line instead of a dot. But with the amount of power we get from them, it's not too bad at all. :D

Looking forward to seeing some pictures! :beer:

Love to see good feedback... :)

Glad your builds went well.

Yeah the 445 diodes make a line instead of a dot. But with the amount of power we get from them, it's not too bad at all. :D

Looking forward to seeing some pictures! :beer:

Noob error on my part, yes the dash is from the diode and not the lense, but the end power is awesome. Was popping all colors of balloons all day, and normally can only do the dark colored ones.

Well..as is the case when I jump into something like this... my camera is apparently not capable of capturing the essence of the moment like some of the posts I've seen. For those contemplating the choice, go for it, its really a nice unit.

I have a few hall shot photos I'm trying to upload, but need to cut them down in size as they are too large, going to try and figure that out. Burned a towel trying to set one shot up, wife's not so supportive now.

On the plus side, its a good weapon for wasp nest control, kills them and sets the nest ablaze too, so be fore warned !