Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: High power IR diodes - tested, pressed into modules, leads soldered.

ped

Just an update (and :bump: )

My 780nm lens came from gearb (eBay) and the output was around 850mW at 1.4A , which is better :)

rhd

Just an update (and :bump: )

My 780nm lens came from gearb (eBay) and the output was around 850mW at 1.4A , which is better :)

VERY cool news. That's more like a 20% loss from optics, which is decent.

Would you mind sharing a link ?

So I finally got one of the IR diodes that I bought from RHD into a host today.
The host is the last NEBO that I have and uses a 14500 battery...case positive of course for IR.
The driver is a FlexDrive tuned in at 1200mA, and I'm using a RED lens for now until I get a IR one from somewhere.

The build wasn't too hard, although I did have to solder the driver directly to the diode because of space constraints.
Here are a few pictures of the host, of course you can't see the beam and the dot is barely visible as well.

IMAG0113.jpg
[/IMG]

IMAG0114.jpg
[/IMG]

The LP metering on a fresh charge, through the RED lens....I may be losing some power because of the lens, but i'm thinking that the diode may not have been a 1 watt diode.
I also didn't run it very long because the host does get warm.(just trying to keep the duty cycle down a bit)
780nmIRBuild.jpg
[/IMG]

AAAANNNDDDD.....non-related....I ordered some optics boxes from Thorlabs and got them today in the mail. I was surprised that along with my order came a nice LAB SNACKS box with some goodies. LOL I just got a laugh out of it. It is a nice thought!:beer:

IMAG0111.jpg
[/IMG]

IMAG0112.jpg
[/IMG]

rhd

Hey, nice looking build!
I think that's a fitting host for an IR build.

If you wouldn't mind, for my peace of mind, could you meter the raw diode output? Make sure the IR output is what I sold you. Earlier in this thread PED posted with similar findings, and we discovered that the diode was doing the full 1W+, but the lens was giving a 50% efficiency loss. Hard to imagine that the lens could be causing so much loss, and I think we were both surprised when that was the case, but the lens was the major problem.

PED had better success with an IR coated lens he found on eBay.

Hey, nice looking build!
I think that's a fitting host for an IR build.

If you wouldn't mind, for my peace of mind, could you meter the raw diode output? Make sure the IR output is what I sold you. Earlier in this thread PED posted with similar findings, and we discovered that the diode was doing the full 1W+, but the lens was giving a 50% efficiency loss. Hard to imagine that the lens could be causing so much loss, and I think we were both surprised when that was the case, but the lens was the major problem.

PED had better success with an IR coated lens he found on eBay.

Thanks RHD I do like these hosts!
I put it on the LPM without the lens and it peaked around 700mW. So, in a VERY non scientific way.....it looks like about a 250mW loss from the lens. My guess is either I'm doing something wrong, or the diode may be a 750mW one.

What ever it is, i'm cool with it and appreciate you putting these out the community.

Last edited:

rhd

Thanks RHD I do like these hosts!
I put it on the LPM without the lens and it peaked around 700mW. So, in a VERY non scientific way.....it looks like about a 250mW loss from the lens. My guess is either I'm doing something wrong, or the diode may be a 750mW one.

What ever it is, i'm cool with it and appreciate you putting these out the community.

Hey,

No - it should do what I recorded in the thread. I didn't just add a blanket spec to multiple diodes - each one was individually tested an metered. So unless perhaps not all of the IR was being captured by your LPM sensor, I think it's unacceptably below my advertised spec.

Diode (#02) hits 1,000mW as well (at a bit higher required current though). If you PM me your address again, can I send you out that diode?

That's kind of you, but there isn't any need to sent out another diode. I will try metering it again later, it very well could have been my mistake.

I will try to post my new metering tomorrow evening after work.

rhd

That's kind of you, but there isn't any need to sent out another diode. I will try metering it again later, it very well could have been my mistake.

I will try to post my new metering tomorrow evening after work.

Ok. Well - the whole idea here was to try and get some neat powerful diodes out to the community - and if it's not accomplishing that, I definitely want to get another one out to you. So keep me posted :)

rhd

I'm doing a big shipping run on Saturday, and anything purchased in time to get in on that trip to the post office I'll cover the shipping costs!

So, FREE shipping!

EDIT: It just occurred to me that if anyone was subscribed to all three of my sales threads, they just got triple-spammed by the same post in each thread. Sorry.

Last edited:

ped

@532

See my earlier posts on this page regarding lens loss.

I'm tempted & I haven't even hooked up the 2 I already bought. :D
I have to say the MOD9s are really nice.

Fiddy

hey rhd can i grab: 780nm (#02) 1,000 mW @ 1.55 A - $20?

Probs should of done this when i bought all those modules off you but oh well :D

rhd

hey rhd can i grab: 780nm (#02) 1,000 mW @ 1.55 A - $20?

Probs should of done this when i bought all those modules off you but oh well :D

Gosh, it's been so long since this thread was active, I need to see if I still know where these are even being stored ;)