Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: High power IR diodes - tested, pressed into modules, leads soldered.

Yeah - was planning on running it at around 1.3A or so. Generally, I like the most powerful diodes not because they are the most powerful, but because it means they are that much more guaranteed to survive a lower, more "normal" current.

EDIT: So I was thinking of playing with this tonight, but I realized I still don't have the red glass lens for the diode... so I figure I won't take it out of the black electrical tape covering until I can stick a lens on it.

Last edited:

ped

(#09) 1,100 mW @ 1.42 A - $22 (Ped - paid - shipped)

Recieved...Many thanks rhd
:eg:

Got my diodes today....I'll post some pictures when I get the time to fire them up!
Thanks again for offering these to the community. :beer:

ped

Hi again...

Mine is only outputting ~530mW @ 1.41 / 1.42 A with an Aixiz 3 element glass lens?

Tried it with a 445nm lens and got about the same.

This is about the best photo i could get, it was awkward to include the diode, LPM AND multimeter.

It shows 1.40A because it dropped a little as the diode warmed but at the rated current it was only 10 or 20mW higher.

Any suggestions? (see photo)

(#09) 1,100 mW @ 1.42 A - $22 (Ped - paid - shipped)

syaz9s.jpg

Last edited:

rhd

Hey,

Can you try measuring the raw optical output (no lens), with as much of the beam hitting the sensor as possible?

That will be a good step towards trying to figure out where the inefficiency loss is occurring.

Cheers

ped

it measures 1081mW WTH??

but thats a known good lens for 650nm?

rhd

it measures 1081mW WTH??

but thats a known good lens for 650nm?

Ok, that makes me feel a lot better about the sale. I really did put a lot of thought and careful testing into making sure the diodes I offered here were solid, and able to live up to a particular power measurement.

But, we've still got a mystery to solve.... Why is this lens setup basically 50% efficient? It's a lens that works for multi mode 445s. I wonder if the coating is a problem? could the 445 AR coating absorb IR?

ped

No its a Aixiz 650nm glass lens, I have a 650nm LPC-815 KNOWN output its round about 246mW with acrylic , and 270-280mW wih this Aixiz 3 element lens, so the lens must be good? just cant figure out whats going on :s

rhd

What's the lens? Url?

I wouldn't be surprised if what works well for a single mode, doesn't work well for a multi?

Though that doesn't answer the question of what DOES work well for these multis.

rhd

AixiZ Red Laser Glass Lens 635-670nm, AixiZ

Did you take readings with and without collimating lenses?

Hmmm, ok, apparently that isn't a good lens choice after all. I wonder if maybe that isn't a 3 aspect lens? Can anyone verify?

No, the readings are all raw, never with a lens. Though I was very very explicit about that in the power measurement section of the original post. So even once we find the right lens for these, they will always measure less final output than their raw optical output.

The trick now is to find a lens than is more efficient. 50% loss is not ok.

Give a glass 445 lens a try. that's what I used in the video.

rhd

I didn't test any of the Vfs... that said, I'm going to presume that they are on par with other IRs - generally always around 3V or less.

ped

Hi, tried it with a 3 element glass lens from Aixiz as i said in post #36 , but its about the same. Dont get me wrong, im more than happy with diode..just gotta find a lens it likes :)

rhd

As I try to picture it in my head, it seems like what we probably need in lesser to catch the most of this beam, is a shorter focal length lens. Are all aixiz lenses the same focal length?

ped

i have no idea, i might get a cheap 780/808nm laser of one of the chinese sites and get the lens out of it. Or buy one of the pre built Aixiz modules on eBay, and get a lens that way, as long as thier not acrylic.

EDIT, just contacted gearb off eBay to see if he can get the lenses.

Last edited: