Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: GhostDrive2 Linear Drivers $6.99!

Hiemal

Very carefully.

Or, just use a bit of aluminum on the regulator itself. You can probably use that thermal glue-paste stuff which name escapes me at the moment.

The regulator is the black thingy with three legs, right? Is it taller than the 2 blue bits?
If so, can I carefully epoxy it directly to my heatsink?

Yeah, the regulator is the black thing. It sits a bit higher than the resistors.

You can thermal epoxy both the regulator and the resistors to your heatsink.

Grix

This might be off-topic, but do you think this would work as a heatsink for two of these? (One driver thermal epoxied to each side of the coin). I mean, the alloy is mostly copper..

50-øre coin - Norges Bank

If so, that's got to be the cheapest heatsink ever. 50 øre is the equivalent of $0.08.
If you don't think one will be enough I could even glue several of them together.

Hmm, well it's better than nothing I guess. The IC gets pretty hot after a bit though at higher temps, and you'd pretty much be making an IC hot sandwich here. You'd have to experiment to see how it works for you, but I always use the biggest heat sink that I can, whether it be for a driver or a diode.

So I was reading the replies on this thread, and was having some problems understanding something you had said ghost. Someone asked if they could run a ghostdrive2 off a single 3.7v battery, and you said no because the drop out voltage was too high. At 2.4v dropout, and a 1.25 reference voltage, wouldn't you be just barely in the range of the dropout, but still in regulating range? I'm just reading about drivers and trying to understand a bit more. Thanks.

So I was reading the replies on this thread, and was having some problems understanding something you had said ghost. Someone asked if they could run a ghostdrive2 off a single 3.7v battery, and you said no because the drop out voltage was too high. At 2.4v dropout, and a 1.25 reference voltage, wouldn't you be just barely in the range of the dropout, but still in regulating range? I'm just reading about drivers and trying to understand a bit more. Thanks.

You don't have to worry about reference voltage, but you do have to remember to factor in the voltage drop of the laser diode that you are using. So if you're using the GhostDrive with a red diode, you get 2.4V + ~3V = 5.4V.

Hi.
I have the LPC-826 laser diode.
Which version of ghostdriver do I need, to get the maximum of my laser but also to not reduce its life?
I will put this to a diy laser engraver www.instructables.com/id/Pocket-laser-engraver/?&sort=ACTIVE&limit=40&offset=120, so it will work with power supply and not with batteries and probably it will working for long time during the engraving.

Also what volts should I give to that?

Last edited:
I've gotten a lot of questions about these and haven't been selling them due to personal time constraints, but I'm back! I currently have a very limited supply of these in stock, so if you're in the market for a little linear laser driver pick one up while they last! :)

Also, I won't be making any international shipments until the holiday is over, so please keep that in mind when ordering.

Thanks. :wave:

I've gotten a lot of questions about these and haven't been selling them due to personal time constraints, but I'm back! I currently have a very limited supply of these in stock, so if you're in the market for a little linear laser driver pick one up while they last! :)

Also, I won't be making any international shipments until the holiday is over, so please keep that in mind when ordering.

Thanks. :wave:

Your site showed 4 left so I bought all 4 of them set for 250mA. I hope they can run at that without heatsinking. I normally use buck or boost drivers as I am not a big fan of linears due to the higher amount of power wasted as heat. But in this case the small size to fit in my mini hosts and low price are more important. I absolutely refuse to pay what Dr Lava sells his drivers for now.

Bob