Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: FIFTY 5-25mW 8x13mm red modules, OVERSPEC! and dirt cheap!

Aslo, is less than an inch from the thermopile too close to measure a laser? i notice with my PHR 110mW builds that i own, if i move the lens like, a cm close to the little square, the mW's go up a bit.

Maybe thats where i made a mistake, (I know you dont want to speak Jerry, but it is your laserbee, and you designed it, so i was just curious, can distance the of space between lens and thermopile effect the readings at all?)

This was seriously not my intent. i'd be more than happy to refund Dave if he like, or send him a part he could use because two of them were broke (do you think the broke durring shipping? or were they just 2 out of 50 that had damage? cuz like i said, i only tested 60% of them or so. but Aixiz is a great company, so im almost positive it was the traveling of the package that broke the two.

Let me know how we should handle this dave, i had no malice intents here, and even though the reading didnt turn out right, for $1 a peice, for a $5 module is a pretty good deal i guess, i just had no use for them.

I wasnt trying to lie to you Jerry, i obviously did something wrong whilst reading them on mt LPM (im thinking i got the modules TOO close to it, and they caught heat from my hand, or just the laser was way too close. I'm curious as to wich one of the two causes both of you think it may have been (Dave, and Jerry is who i was reffering to)

also, have you tried taking a driver off of one, and seeing what it can do with a cheap rkcstsr, or lm317 or something? i still have one here that i might tear apart and see if i can run a lil more mA to it.

Im pretty sure they can, but can those tiny drivers be read by a testload and DMM? like we can with the others, the principles seem the same to me, just thought i'd ask b4 i ruin it.

Tyler

you actually tried to rip ME off with your lies
You'll need to try and understand what is written and not
misinterpret and jump to conclusions on your own.

Aslo, is less than an inch from the thermopile too close to measure a laser? i notice with my PHR 110mW builds that i own, if i move the lens like, a cm close to the little square, the mW's go up a bit.

Maybe thats where i made a mistake, (I know you dont want to speak Jerry, but it is your laserbee, and you designed it, so i was just curious, can distance the of space between lens and thermopile effect the readings at all?)
I have no problem communicating with you in public...

I will always stand behind my product...
As it is stated in the LaserBee I User Instructions...

The Thermopile Sensor is very sensitive to heat. It can pickup the heat of
your hands. The testing area should be free of high intensity lights giving
off heat. The testing area should also be free of air currents that may be
detected by the Sensor. Just gently blowing on the sensor will change its
temperature and therefore its output.

As to your statement about metering the Red Lasers... you said you did meter
a few of them... so why ask if the buyer wants them metered...
You did not mention "As Is"... but that's between you and the buyer..

It's like asking my buyers if they want their Laserbee I tested and calibrated...
and sending them out non-tested and non-calibrated if they don't respond...:wtf:

Jerry

Last edited:
i offered to meter them, so no one could say otherwise. but i either had my hand too close to the thermopile while holding the modules, or my heat was on (central air, i live in the mountains and its brrrrr cold)

I think thats where the mistake was made. so actually i didnt lie to you Jerry, i made a mistake, i thought i got lucky and got a batch of over-spec lasers. then descided to sell them, and since they were overspec (or so i thought at the time) i listed them as that.

But i apparently metered them wrong, their not as easy to meter as a full bodied lasers are, their real teeny, so my fingers have to be near the thermopile.

So i appologize that i mis-labeled these items as over-spec

BUT, at least there no possible way this was a scam or rip off, i sold 50 $5 lasers for a buck a peice, thats basicly a steal...

And those last two lines

i offered to meter them so they could see my results before purchase, and be comfortable with the purchase, just as you precalibrate your LB's b4 shipping. dave asked me not to meter them, or rather said "i did NOT have to meter them all" so i didnt... i tested 60% of them to make sure they werent duds, and that was about it... i dont see the problem with that, ecspecially if i offer to meter it for them, thats their choice, i wouldnt ship to them unless i got an answere back first.

and you forgot to answere a quick question, does the DISTANCE from the laser lens, to the thermopiles little square have any effect on readings? as i held the module pretty close to the square, maybe 1cm.. is that too close?

As it shows in the User Instruction...
The heat from your hand or fingers will falsify the actual laser's beam...

Your laser's beam could easily project it's beam over a distance of 12"..
So I don't see why you needed to be as close as you say you were...
Once you are in physical contact range of the Thermopile Heatsink you
are too close..

The User Instructions also state....

For consistent readings, make sure that all measurements are taken at the
same distance between
the Sensor and the Laser being tested. (1” to 6”)
and that the entire Laser beam falls on the Sensor
of the LaserBee I 1 Watt
LPM.

And also

When physically adjusting the position of the Thermopile Sensor, care must
be taken to not touch the Thermopile’s Heatsink directly with your fingers as
this will transfer your finger’s heat to the Heatsink and create variations in the
readings.

Jerry

my fingers/hands didn't touch them, they were just very close, so thats probably what did it. now i know better,

I'm sorry for not educating myself throughly enough before posting them for sale.

But at least Dave got a killer deal! and allot of people will have small 8mm modules for testing PHR's in and possibly developing a super small host for 110mW blu-ray builds. thats what i was hoping someone would try :)

Thanks for the info Jerry, i honestly was not trying to lie to anyone at all, i simply metered them wrong, and that was my fault. if i had known that they were just regular old 5mW diodes, i would have never sold them to Dave claiming they were over-spec, especially not Dave, the single most respected member on this forum IMO.

Tyler

daguin

I'm a bit shocked at your responses here, Tyler. Are publicly admitting that you don't even know how to use your own LPM? Are you admitting that you didn't even either read the instructions or were incapable of understanding them?

Is this the same LPM that you are always spouting off about how accurate your readings from it are? Is this the same one that you offered to meter the modules for me with?

You already said that you metered "quite a few" at 10-12mW. How many did you meter? Don't you by regular habit meter whatever goes out from your shop? I metered ALL of them and I am going to GIVE them away! My intention, based on your lie about them, was to separate them into output ranges for distribution. Unfortunately, not one exceeded 4mW so separating them into ranges is not needed.

The two broken ones were OBVIOUSLY bent over at the diode/driver junction. Didn't you see that when you had them? Testing those two doesn't even require knowing how to use your LPM. All you have to do with them to know if the damage was significant or not was to press the wires onto a battery.

The answers to all of your other backpedaling and attempts to cover up your deception is already covered in my OP.

These are NOT mistakes. They are, at the very least, negligence, but more probably just more of your exaggeration and deception trying to make what you are selling "bigger and better" than it actually is.

It is kind of sad actually. These are great little modules that were offered at a great price. However, that wasn't good enough for you, was it? They had to be better than real. At that point it no longer resided in the realm of accident. It moved into intention. In this case, intentional deception.

You really need to learn to stop talking when you get caught. You only make yourself look worse when you try to explain it away and/or blame someone or something else.

Take the hit.

Learn from it

Avoid doing it again

I haven't done the marble review yet. It was a little lower on my priority list with the swap box, the 12X, the 8X, and the distribution of these modules on my plate.

Let me know what you want me to do with your marbles.

Peace,
dave

**EDIT**
I did "mess with" the one you pulled the heat shrink from, just like I messed with 14 more of them. I ran it up to 9V.

Last edited:

daguin

I know -- a double post. However, the last one was for Tyler. This one is for everybody else.

The diodes are a standard 5.6mm package. You could swap in an LPC, a PHR, or anything else you want (5.6mm).

However, you could NOT just swap in a 405-G-1 low loss lens. The low loss lens is a smaller diameter and has a different focal distance than the stock aiXiz lens OR the lens in these modules. In order to use a low loss lens, you would have to have some sort of "sleeve" and "spacer" to position it effectively. You also could NOT just swap in a Merideth. Maybe Tyler just doesn't own a set of calipers and/or doesn't understand focal lengths.

I still have to pull the driver from one and test how far the diodes can be pushed :eg:

Peace,
dave

**EDIT** I just realized it sounds like you could swap the LPC, etc, using the same driver. You cannot use this "driver." It's not actually a driver anyway. If you decide to use these little modules for a different diode, you will still have to buy or build a driver for it.

Last edited:
keep em dave, and i took the hit. it's done, you say i decieve, i say i did not.

Thats all.

You can keep the marbles, and i hope the modules go to good use

daguin

keep em dave, and i took the hit. it's done, you say i decieve, i say i did not.
Thats all.
You can keep the marbles, and i hope the modules go to good use

Sorry Tyler. It's not that simple. It's not just an "I say vs he says" situation. The evidence is right here in front of us. You either intentionally lied about what you did and saw or you are so inept and unskilled that you can't even measure a diode.

However, I think this next little bit of information will settle even the question of your lack of skill vs you intentionally lying . . . . .

I did some more testing on the modules this afternoon. I was curious about whether the drivers could be used for other diodes and how high the diodes could be driven. You know what I found out?

These are APC diodes. Do you know what those are Tyler? APC stands for Automatic Power Control. APC diodes have an internal, self-limiter for output. The little "board" outside is simply a voltage limiter. You know what a voltage limiter does? It keeps the INPUT voltage at a constant voltage. It doesn't matter what voltage you give to it (within reason) the diode ALWAYS only gets the required voltage.

That's why even though I gave the modules up to 9V, the output remained the same. It didn't matter that you gave the module 6.8V (great choice BTW scientific sounding while still being impossible to measure) It didn't matter because the diode still received the same voltage no matter what you gave it!

No matter what you did, it NEVER produced "almost 25mW."

That was just the voltage. It wouldn't have mattered even if you could have accidentally given it excess current. You see the APC part of the diode is INSIDE the diode itself NOT the board outside. The APC of the diode keeps the output to the predetermined output. No matter what you fed the diode, the APC keeps the output the same.

I hooked one up to a Rkcstr driver. I started it at 58mA (as low as my Rkcstr will go). Do you know how much it put out with 58mA of current? That's right 3.5mW. I turned it all the way up to over 100mA! You know how much it put out? Right again 3.5mW. If I pushed it above 100mA the diode went dark until I turned it back down. Then it came back to . . .You guessed it, 3.5mW

So you see, what you are trying to say you saw, measured, and reported is physically IMPOSSIBLE!

There were NEVER "quite a few" that measured at 10-12mW. There was NEVER one that did "almost 25mW. ANY one of them that you did test (if you actually tested any of them once you saw that there was no "pot" for you to turn up) would have put out 3-5mW

Even if I give you, the complete lack of any skill and/or knowledge about how to use your own LPM, the incorrect measurements would have remained the same level of error. They were all actually putting out the same thing (no matter what voltage or current you gave them) so if your lack of skill made you measure incorrectly, you would have measured incorrectly THE SAME WAY on all of them. They would have all been 10-12mW for you. They would NOT have measured "quite a few" at 10-12mW and some at 3-5mW and one monster measuring at "almost 25mW" for 30 minutes without even heating up.

LOL! You want to blame your fingers being too close to the thermopile? Do you actually want us to believe you sat there holding the module between your fingers (with them too close) for a full half hour!?!

You don't just lie to sell things. It appears that you are quite possibly a pathological liar. You lie about things that don't even matter or when it is not needed to be something good.

Folks, if he has any of your money, stay on top of him and/or file the necessary claim to get it back. If you choose to buy anything else from him, you have accepted any poor outcome you get.

Tyler, I am not mad at you. I do not dislike you. I actually feel pretty sorry for you. Your world must be a pretty sucky place if you have to lie, even about good things like these modules, to feel good about yourself.

You need help. You need to talk with a counselor or doctor. You also need to stop doing business where I can see you. You are NOT my enemy, but you are still my project.

Peace,
dave

**EDIT** I just double checked something and realized that you didn't just say that one monster reached almost 25mW. You said that "a lot of them" reached 25mW AND that the highest you had achieved was one that put out 26mW at 6.4V

Last edited:
Dave. You have figured him out with the evidence displayed. When I was a kid at age ... maybe 7-8 I used to lie to my father about everything. My father was quick to anger and very abusive so I lied to try to soften the blow or to get his approval but failed, and I think that is what Tyler is like. I think it might be an actual psychological problem for him.

daguin

Dave. You have figured him out with the evidence displayed. When I was a kid at age ... maybe 7-8 I used to lie to my father about everything. My father was quick to anger and very abusive so I lied to try to soften the blow or to get his approval but failed, and I think that is what Tyler is like. I think it might be an actual psychological problem for him.

I agree. The more he writes, the more he shows the signs of mental challenges. I really do feel sorry for him. He needs help. I just cannot stand by and watch him harming neophytes because he is troubled.

Peace,
dave

I agree. The more he writes, the more he shows the signs of mental challenges. I really do feel sorry for him. He needs help. I just cannot stand by and watch him harming neophytes because he is troubled.

Peace,
dave

So what should be done? Can't let someone do business in that kind of condition.
And I don't think a simple sticky "If you want shady business then DarkArmyofOne is your man" would help. :undecided:

Last edited:

daguin

So what should be done? Can't let someone do business in that kind of condition.
And I don't think a simple sticky "If you want shady business then DarkArmyofOne is your man" would help. :undecided:

I don't know how many other people have complained to c0ld about him. One of the problems when someone like this gets established is that once the exposure begins, everybody else simply sits back and lets the "champion" handle it. Confrontation is uncomfortable. People tend to avoid it. If they see someone else "taking care of it", they have a tendency to sit back and let the other person deal with the discomfort.

The problem with that is it looks like it is just the one or two people alone that are upset. Besides some "cardinal sins" (like racism threats etc.) c0ld generally works via numbers. If "X" number of people complain in "Y" set of time, he will ban. If it is unclear or if the person has a couple of supporters, then c0ld asks for a poll.

Unfortunately, in this instance, Tyler has enough supporters (and he works behind the scenes to rally them) that the poll didn't work. That only leaves direct lobby of c0ld.

ANYONE who is dissatisfied with or doesn't like Tyler's business practices, or got ripped off, or caught him and avoided getting ripped off, or got threatening PMs, etc. needs to PM c0ld to let him know. When Tyler goes off on one of his rambling rants in which he threatens or name calls, you need to PM c0ld. When Tyler gets into his manic phase and posts multiple posts in sequence to yell at individuals, you need to PM c0ld. Are y'all getting the picture? YOU need to PM c0ld.

I'll keep as much awareness in front of the NooBs as possible, but if it is just myself and EF talking, then it looks like a personal thing.

People WANT Tyler to be what he says he is. He talks such a good game that he sounds like he will make everything all better. They are all lies, but it sounds good, especially to someone who does not know his past or who has not been exposed to the "behind the scenes" manipulation.

Tyler is very good at getting others to voice their support
However, all you need to do is look at who it is that is supporting him to see that his supporters are mostly NooBs and his detractors are mostly veterans.

Add to this people's desires to avoid conflict and the desire for him to be "real" and you have the recipe for a long noisy fight in the boards

People need to become involved, actively involved. People need to tell c0ld what they know and what they experienced with Tyler. I have more than one PM in which the person was willing to tell me what the problem was, but don't want me to use their name in my action.

People -- I am just a user like you are. The list belongs to c0ld. You need to tell c0ld yourself. He will keep your identity safe, but HE needs to know. Venting to me may make you "feel better", but it does nothing to protect the neophytes or to end the problem.

<prepares self for the "hate speech" rant (even though Tyler has no idea what hate speech is) >

Peace,
dave

^With you 100% Dave.. I've established my feelings toward Tyler. It's very unfortunate that the original poll was wasted, because it will be a little more difficult to have another poll.. Only c0ld has the real power to ban, but we can make Tyler pretty uncomfortable here if we're persistent.

mfo

You know...I was kind of on the picket fence when it came to Tyler. But now...all I have to say is wtf Tyler. I honestly think we need to make a new poll, but do it different this time. With the opening post, we should post links to threads like this, as well as the others so that this way all of the needed info is RIGHT THERE! Last time it seems as though we posted this stuff down the line, so maybe that's why people didn't know because the info wasn't all right there.

P.S. Holy shit learn to fucking spell man! I've spelled better when I'm completely drunk.

You know...I was kind of on the picket fence when it came to Tyler. But now...all I have to say is wtf Tyler. I honestly think we need to make a new poll, but do it different this time. With the opening post, we should post links to threads like this, as well as the others so that this way all of the needed info is RIGHT THERE! Last time it seems as though we posted this stuff down the line, so maybe that's why people didn't know because the info wasn't all right there.

P.S. Holy shit learn to fucking spell man! I've spelled better when I'm completely drunk.

That was my fault. I didn't post enough links. I had thought that everyone knew about his dealing so I didn't even bother. The next time I will if I have some help about the threads and posts that are best for listing.

Edit: I'm not afraid to speak up if there's something wrong