Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Custom machined laser hosts

Great looking custom hosts --they are all nice but that hex heat sink host kills----very unusual and very attractive design at same time.

Thanks for dusting off the thread Encap - reminded me to update it. Got a couple more back in stock. :yh:

BobMc

Good day EP, hope all is well with you and yours. :)

Had a thought, ( I know I'm dangerous when that happens :D )

Anyways was thinking when a pen build is made the diode is soldered directly to the driver. When a spring is used on the bottom of the driver the diode/driver junction becomes a stress point. I've been applying a little dab of glue to add support.

If I remember correctly you have a 3D printer. Was wondering if you could 3D some type of spacer that would fit in between the diode and driver to absorb the stress ?

Your thoughts? :thinking:

Good day EP, hope all is well with you and yours. :)

Had a thought, ( I know I'm dangerous when that happens :D )

Anyways was thinking when a pen build is made the diode is soldered directly to the driver. When a spring is used on the bottom of the driver the diode/driver junction becomes a stress point. I've been applying a little dab of glue to add support.

If I remember correctly you have a 3D printer. Was wondering if you could 3D some type of spacer that would fit in between the diode and driver to absorb the stress ?

Your thoughts? :thinking:

Good day Bob, all is good here and hope it's likewise for you. :D

Are you talking about a 12mm module set-up with a spring on the end? I know what you mean either way, but will need to know more about the specifics.

I could definitely come up with something like that but would need pictures of what you mean and will have to grab some measurements. :yh:

BobMc

Great! All is well in my neck of the woods.

Measurements will have to wait till I get back to the house. (Planning on a couple more pen builds next time I hit the house??)
Am trying to figure out a way to solve the stress problem I've had before. After taking the battery(s) out a half dozen times the doide driver solder breaks loose, so I started using a bit the glue. Trying to to come up with a better way?

Yes I am talking about the standard 12mm module with no back half with a nano ( or similar ) driver soldered on where a spring is soldered the bottom part. Ok, when I can I'll send you some pics and maybe a drawing of what I was thinking. :)

Last edited:
Great! All is well in my neck of the woods.

Measurements will have to wait till I get back to the house. (Planning on a couple more pen builds next time I hit the house??)
Am trying to figure out a way to solve the stress problem I've had before. After taking the battery(s) out a half dozen times the doide driver solder breaks loose, so I started using a bit the glue. Trying to to come up with a better way?

Yes I am talking about the standard 12mm module with no back half with a nano ( or similar ) driver soldered on where a spring is soldered the bottom part. Ok, when I can I'll send you some pics and maybe a drawing of what I was thinking. :)

Sure Bob, any visualizations help a ton. I might just have to get a dummy module for testing as well. Feel free to PM me!

BobMc

I sure you got a idea what I'm talking about. Will try to mix minds and see what we can come up with. Something other than glue to take the stress off the diode/driver junction. :thinking:

Id like to buy this brass host that can hold 2*14250s. Would you be able to knurl the handle instead of using the black tape?

kZZmjnB.png

Last edited:
Hi SS,
I am sure he can knurl the handle , Knurling is a little tricky you need to pay close attention to the pressure on the wheels.That will make or break the build and with the worm in drive across the work needs to be carefully looked at. EP makes some cool hosts .. Good choice..

Rich:)

Last edited: