Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Custom machined laser hosts and parts.

It would definitely be worth the time to figure out autocad. Polylines are multi-segmented lines that you draw with, the snap setting lets the lines snap onto a measured grid for making drawing easier, other than that you wouldnt need to know too much to draw up a host.

Heres another one I made up today.

Attachments

• 6061hostX.jpg
    6061hostX.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 146

Zom-B

I forgot it if you said it, but do you make the hosts that accept a 5.6mm diode directly or do they still need a module (such as Aixiz)? What lens do you use?

I've been thinking of doing hosts that accept them directly, since it seems like a round about way of doing things when I can just machine them solid one piece directly.

Can use any lens you want, going to be playing around with some multi element setups too.

Kenom

Zom-B said:
I forgot it if you said it, but do you make the hosts that accept a 5.6mm diode directly or do they still need a module (such as Aixiz)? What lens do you use?

There is already an affordable host that incorporates just this.  I can't understand why you would want to transition from a Kryton, that has this feature already, to something hand made and not necessarily as high a quality.

I also like how there isn't any public prices discussed in the thread. How much would it cost you to make the last host you pictured?

Kenom said:
[quote author=Zom-B link=1224002984/20#36 date=1225411528]I forgot it if you said it, but do you make the hosts that accept a 5.6mm diode directly or do they still need a module (such as Aixiz)? What lens do you use?

There is already an affordable host that incorporates just this. I can't understand why you would want to transition from a Kryton, that has this feature already, to something hand made and not necessarily as high a quality.

I also like how there isn't any public prices discussed in the thread. How much would it cost you to make the last host you pictured?[/quote]
Well not everybody wants a super smooth laser barrel, nor the money for one. PyroEric has awesome prices.

Kenom

Wesdaman14 said:
Well not everybody wants a super smooth laser barrel, nor the money for one. PyroEric has awesome prices.

What prices???  I've not seen one single mention of price involved in the entire thread.  I have for clicky's and other associated parts but not for the hosts.

I'm not saying don't buy from pyro or anybody for that matter. I'm saying an affordable host is already available doing exactly what you want. It's kind of offensive to the person that's taken all the time to develop and make the host available, to have you go to the first person that pops up with some metal working skill. Sure I feel threatened. Why shouldn't I? There is no love between Burger King and McDonalds. They are competators. I however won't say anything negative about someone elses hamburgers just so I can sell more of mine.

Kenom said:
[quote author=Zom-B link=1224002984/20#36 date=1225411528]I forgot it if you said it, but do you make the hosts that accept a 5.6mm diode directly or do they still need a module (such as Aixiz)? What lens do you use?

There is already an affordable host that incorporates just this.  I can't understand why you would want to transition from a Kryton, that has this feature already, to something hand made and not necessarily as high a quality.

I also like how there isn't any public prices discussed in the thread.   How much would it cost you to make the last host you pictured?[/quote]

Kenom,
I can understand that you dont like competition with the little host monopoly you have, but for the most part, what people want from me, and what people want from you are totally different.

You have a production line of a host that you had CNC'ed up in bulk, where I custom make one off prototypes and small batches exactly as the people want. I can make them pen sized, flashlight sized, as key chains, in water proof cases with magnetically activated switches, and much more. Why would anyone want to try something new? Sounds ridiculous.

I dont mention prices because the pictures that I post so far have been either hosts that I made for myself and Im not selling, or already sold or traded. Custom making things means that prices will vary by design, size, features, materials, the number of pieces produced, etc etc. If people are interested they can get a hold of me and give me an idea of what they want made, and I can give them an idea of prices, working all that out per person in an advertising thread would get very messy and cluttered.

Just because I machine my parts by hand, does not mean they arent high quality. The world got along just fine before CNC. For simple lathe turned parts CNC offers no real advantage other than the company that has the machine, can mass produce parts cheaply with minimal labor, meaning that you can buy your hosts cheap and then sell them for more profit. The advantage of owning your own machine and working by hand is that you make the profit that the CNC shop would normally make, and stay competitive, especially with custom items and small productions.

I can say for certain that I pay a lot more attention to fine details than places that just pop out CNC parts as fast as they can, for example fins and cuts are gone over so that they have a fine radius so there are no sharp edges, and the details feel smooth and natural in your hands no matter how complex or how many fins and grooves they may have.

I could standardize my products, mass produce a few production models, not just one or two, and since I have my own shop and equipment I guarantee you that I can create and market new products much faster than you can, since you have to deal through a 3rd party and order in bulk to keep costs down. I could react to any new product you can come up with with new more innovative or cool looking hosts faster than you can even get a price quote from your CNC producer. I love competition, and could aggressively advertise my products priced competitively with yours, in your own threads just to be an ass.

So whats it going to be? Stay out of my thread with advertising your product and not worry about me making a few custom made hosts as a hobby, or have me go into full production of hosts directly competing with yours... I have been thinking of hiring someone to fill up the hours my lathe isnt in use. The choice is yours.

Kenom said:
[quote author=Wesdaman14 link=1224002984/40#40 date=1225418917]

What prices???  I've not seen one single mention of price involved in the entire thread.  I have for clicky's and other associated parts but not for the hosts.

I'm not saying don't buy from pyro or anybody for that matter.  I'm saying an affordable host is already available doing exactly what you want.  It's kind of offensive to the person that's taken all the time to develop and make the host available, to have you go to the first person that pops up with some metal working skill.  Sure I feel threatened.  Why shouldn't I?  There is no love between Burger King and McDonalds.  They are competators.  I however won't say anything negative about someone elses hamburgers just so I can sell more of mine.[/quote]

You should be thankful that I make no mention of prices, since my custom made hosts would already be considered competitively priced with yours. Like I said, if you want prices, PM me for a quote.

Surmising my previous post:

Get over it, I offer different products and services, I dont go through your threads advertising my products, and you might want to consider that I could do the same to you.

If you want to start a flame war you better be prepared to have fire and brimstone raining down upon you in biblical proportions. Now, please stay out of my thread with advertising your products or I will no longer show you any courtesies.

Kenom

Wow, I may have been out of line asking my question in your thread but it was a harmless question. As I mentioned, I have not, nor will I say don't buy from you. My one and only experience with a "hand done" machined barrel looks like crap. There was no quality in it. I've seen only a sampling of what your capable of and as of yet, haven't seen anything comparing to the crap I got. Yours are of a much higher quality than my prototype.

My response was in no way shape or form a critisizm of your work, your skill or your products. However your response was not warranted. I'll keep my nose out of your thread. I'll admit I was wrong to post a simple question in your thread. Can you admit your response was over the top?

As to competition? It will only be a matter of time till I'm running my own CNC lathe and mill with the ability to turn my barrels out as fast as I can think them up. But it would be idiocy to try to compete in such a small arena, with such a small number of customers. Keep to your hobby and I'll keep to my barrels.

Kenom

I'm not looking for flame wars. this is a community. I was asking a fellow family member a simple question. No reason to get strung up.

I will never mention my barrels in this thread again. My apologies.

/me humbly bows out.

Pm me  i want one to try, then  3-5more Single AA size w/ Momentary switch button. Can be openned from battety cap (has attached spring like maglite), top ( for inserting diode n drivers) and top ( apperture)
If possible a small square or rectangle on the midlde for engraving (horizontal)
Xxx  nM
Xxx mW
Xxxxx

( the x are to be engraved myself)   il buy pre-made driver+diode  so i can just press fit n hook battery ( if there are any driver boost)

PyroEric said:
[quote author=Kenom link=1224002984/40#41 date=1225420508][quote author=Wesdaman14 link=1224002984/40#40 date=1225418917]

I'm not saying don't buy from pyro or anybody for that matter.  I'm saying an affordable host is already available doing exactly what you want.  It's kind of offensive to the person that's taken all the time to develop and make the host available, to have you go to the first person that pops up with some metal working skill.  Sure I feel threatened.  Why shouldn't I?  There is no love between Burger King and McDonalds.  They are competators.  I however won't say anything negative about someone elses hamburgers just so I can sell more of mine.[/quote]

You should be thankful that I make no mention of prices, since my custom made hosts would already be considered competitively priced with yours. Like I said, if you want prices, PM me for a quote.

Surmising my previous post:

Get over it, I offer different products and services, I dont go through your threads advertising my products, and you might want to consider that I could do the same to you.

If you want to start a flame war you better be prepared to have fire and brimstone raining down upon you in biblical proportions. Now, please stay out of my thread with advertising your products or I will no longer show you any courtesies.  [/quote]
You dont need to make a second post only minutes after the first saying the same thing.
I dont think Kenom has done anything wrong here, he's not even talking down on your products, if anything he was only comparing the differences between hand made vs. cnc.
To be honest I think you did go a bit over the top there, there is no need to overreact like that.