Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: >110mW PHR, >140mW 4x & >170mW 6x Blu-Rays

IgorT

Re: FS: >110mW Blu-Rays - available

Anyway, since Tyronics seems to have vanished, there is still one available..

IgorT

ben74 said:
Good choice i got mind today and its great  :)

Glad you like it Ben!

Let me know if you need any help with that dummy or driver..

Hey IgorT,would you sell me only the driver and the heatsink?I wanna do my first DIY laser and would like to make a blu-ray one,probably exactly the same I bought from you,but done by myself :)

IgorT

Umm.. The driver and the heatsink/module are the laser.. That's what i spend all the time working on. Putting in a diode takes me 10 minutes. Making a module and a driver would take me as much time as making a laser. :(

Even if i could make it worth it for you, i do not believe this is a suitable first DIY project.. I've been working with electronics for the last 10 years, and i still find it hard sometimes, because everything is so small - one wrong move, or soldering for a little too long, and solder can start melting where you don't want it to, and components can get displaced, shorted, or even fall off. It takes me a lot of time, making sure everything is perfect in the end.. And i have all the required tools at work.

Also, my driver was not made to be user friendly, as it was never meant to have users, other than me. It has no instructions, and it's VERY tiny.. And it's not even complete, untill after the diode is soldered directly to it, and some more 1mm components added around and on top. The way it's designed, when finished, the module, diode and driver are completelly intertwined. And Soldering SMD components is definitelly not a good first project, especially if you haven't soldered before...

Several people asked me for the driver, but i always recommend Rkcstr's driver, or the FlexDrive instead. They are standalone universal drivers, meant for DIY projects, and they have instructions. The FlexDrive is more complex, but also factory made, so it's relativelly cheap. I have to make mine from scratch, starting with the PCB, so i can not possibly make it worth it, except in a complete laser..

I have another idea for your first project. It yields a nice small laser, but would be easier to make, and you can buy all the parts. I could make you a driver for it for free, because it's that much easier.

Check out Jayrob's Pocket Pal tutorial. It's meant to work from three AAA 1.5V or 1.2V cells and a FlexDrive, but if you use three 10440s (AAA size Li-Ions) instead, it can work from a Rkcstr's driver, and Jayrob sells heatsinks for them.

IgorT

Do that, and if you like it, let me know, and i'll make you a driver for it for free.. I just have to know how much room there is available.

The difference would be, that you would have to use three AAA sized Li-Ions, for it to work of this driver.. If you want to use regular batteries, then you can still buy a LavaDrive instead.

GOT IT NOW!! wow it's awesome! I was so surprised about the size, so small! Still got a very sturdy and heavy feeling build.

At first the beam colour looked a little weird to my eyes but now it seems like usual.

What can I say... I'm so happy ;) I just sliced a white ping pong ball ^^

My smoke machine is acting weird... the smoke doesn't seem to stay like the first two times of use.. Now the smoke dissapeares like 10 seconds after pushing the button... ;/ Can't get any great beams as before... Maybe I should wait a little to let it get a litlle hotter and then try..

Anyways thank you so much for this laser. No way to tell that this is not made by a company. It's so perfect made :) Thanks for the liquid sky lens, I'll follow your advice and not change the lens til I've used the laser for a while.

The service was the best experience i've ever had as a customer. So glad I made purchased this :p

It wasn't as easy as I thought to burn trough paper, maybe I'm not used to it yet..With focusing and all.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

It's going to be a great time exploring fluoroscenting things ;)

Best regards

/Benji

IgorT

Hehe, glad you like it.. Many people are surprised by the size, it's hard to tell from pictures..

White ping pong ball? Wow! I never tried that. Where are ping pong balls when you need them? :D

Paper shouldn't be any harder than that. Use sunglasses with a UV filter, and find the right spot. You will see a red spark appear, when you have the focus at the right spot.

About the diffraction grating.. I only say to wait with it, because many times it happens, that people get dust in between the lens and the diode, or even on the diode window. Be careful when changing it. Don't hold the laser up, so that stuff can fall in. And be careful not to lose the spring. If the spring drops to the floor, you need to blow the dust off first. And if something still get's on the diode, DON'T clean it, without reading cleaning instructions first.

I hope you get the smoke machine figured out.. I would really love to see some pics.. :)

But most importantly, have lot's of fun!
Can't wait to hear what you think, once it's dark.. ;)

lam3

I got it today as well! It's really great, very small and solid. Nothing wiggles and it's pretty thin, just a few mm's thicker than a DX 200 mW red.

The construction is simply very solid, great craftsmanship by Igor! I haven't tried it out in the dark yet, but I will soon. In daylight... 405 nm is weird to see! The dot is unfocusable for your eyes, weirdly enough. Results for me in some weird artifacts around it. Looks cool though ;).

Shining it on certain white surfaces is cool, the blue that fluoresces off it is much brighter than the regular 405 nm.

Anyways, the laser itself is really cool. It's just nice, heavy and sturdy.

I'm honestly really happy with this purchase, also for the loads of information provided by IgorT. Thanks again.

I'm off to try it in the dark and with some smoke... see ya!

IgorT

You'll get used to the strange color.. :) In the beginning i saw beams everywhere. Some people see the beam after it is turned off.. ;)

Anyway.. PICS! ;)

lam3

Yup... my camera has some difficulty with recording 405nm though, but some shots are still okay!

At least on the camera's screen they all look 473 nm blue o.0.

Oh well, uploading and choosing now.

Taking a long time, guess I wasn't too picky during choosing.

I'll update this post with pictures later, or maybe just a link to the entire album ;D.

Anyways, it looks amazing with a fog machine, hehe.

IgorT

lam3 said:
Anyways, it looks amazing with a fog machine, hehe.

Who wudda thunk? ;)

You make me want to buy a fog machine! ::)

lam3

At last, I present to you some pictures of this 134mW Blu-ray, my DX 200mW Red and my CNI 95mW 532nm:

http://s352.photobucket.com/albums/r330/suadion/Lasers/

Pay no attention to the mess, just look at the pretty lasers ;D.

EDIT: Also, I apologize for the bad quality, my camera is a simple point-and-shoot so I can't focus properly :/.

IgorT

The fog is quite good at mixing colors.. Or does this only happen on the camera?

EDIT: Hehe, i see you are putting that diffraction grating to good use.. Did you also try with the green? That is the brightest and most impressive..
But for the green, you have to take ONLY the diffraction grating, without the lens under it, becaue the green beam is already collimated.
The diffraction grating is in the metal focusing ring on the lens nut. Make sure it doesn't fall out, when you unscrew it, and if it does, don't touch it with your fingers.. ;)

lam3 said:
I got it today as well! It's really great, very small and solid. Nothing wiggles and it's pretty thin, just a few mm's thicker than a DX 200 mW red.

The construction is simply very solid, great craftsmanship by Igor! I haven't tried it out in the dark yet, but I will soon. In daylight... 405 nm is weird to see! The dot is unfocusable for your eyes, weirdly enough. Results for me in some weird artifacts around it. Looks cool though ;).

Shining it on certain white surfaces is cool, the blue that fluoresces off it is much brighter than the regular 405 nm.

Anyways, the laser itself is really cool. It's just nice, heavy and sturdy.

I'm honestly really happy with this purchase, also for the loads of information provided by IgorT. Thanks again.

I'm off to try it in the dark and with some smoke... see ya!

Damn that sounds freaking sweet! Yeah I can't wait to get my order processed and received. It's already driving me nuts just thinking of it. Which reminds me hey Igor did you get my messages?

'Tac'

IgorT

Hey!

Yeah, i did.. :)

It's all good.. ;)