Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FrothyChimp & the state of affairs

Hi2all,

I still consider myself a noob here and will do so for some time to come. I have and am trying to provide the community with some form of useful input with my reviews and occasional suggestions and/or carefully thought-out opinions, but there's no doubt I'm still wet behind the ears :undecided:

As such, I really depend on LPF's mentors and Sr. members and so it is really disheartening to hear of such members getting fed up and leaving (or hopefully, just taking a break from) LPF. The most recent example is FrothyChimp who has taught me a lot about safety practices, among other things. I came across this post in Mohrenberg's FDA thread recently:

I think I'm going to move on. ... This forum lately has been overrun with ignorance and I don't care to be around it. I guess the change over is about as good a point to make a clean break as any. For you laser professionals out there (you know who you are), I'll see you around the neighborhood.

I'm a member of over 100 forums and LPF is one of the more "professional" forums on average, but I have to admit there is still enough members posting crap and arguing pointlessly with trade professionals.

I just don't get it... :huh:

I hope that FrothyChimp will reconsider his decision but I also hope that more of us will come to appreciate his and other professional members' input here at LPF. Because it's people like him that make LPF what it is and I hate to see it loose it's most important resource... :cryyy:

I'm not worried for Frothy... he knows what he is doing...
From what I read he was fed up of the typical whinny experts who can't
understand simple social etiquette.

He was trying to convey the logic that.. you don't piss off the guy that's
holding your nuts in his hands...

It seems that he was so cheesed off of banging his head against a wall
that he decided to take a break from the juveniles...

The only ones being hurt is ourselves... Frothy owes us absolutely
nothing..

Just my 2 cents...

Jerry

I greatly regret that he has decided to leave. I hope it's only a break. He was big help to me explaining OD and going out of his way to help a newb with goggles and explanations when I started. It's a great loss with him gone.

I think the problem is Dave was gone (hoping something good for him). Had Dave posted in that thread and some of our other truly respected members (I don't think John did either?!) . The know it alls would have shut up. I try to answer the newbie goggle questions when I see them. Thanks for helping me learn Frothy.

Anyrate, I hope he returns and puts the idiots on the ignore.

Last edited:
The know it alls would have shut up. Anyrate I hope he returns and puts the idiots on the ignore.

Sigh, for every FrothyChimp there's a dozen know it alls (and even more idiots).

This one* takes the cake because from the posts I've read, the man's even got a head on his shoulders, but appearantly his arrogance knows no bounds. In fact, I'm going to -rep him for this crap :scowl:

*dr-ebert's reply to FrothyChimp's post:
Don't worry. People who make a big issue about leaving will be back, 'cause they can't bear to lose their audience.

My, are you a BRAVE hero. I'm sure you'll receive a pat on the head for that.

My, are you a BRAVE hero. I'm sure you'll receive a pat on the head for that.

You have a good deal of knowledge but that post has cost you my respect. I thought you were better then that, I'm truly disappointed.

FrothyChimp wasn't a hobbyist he works in an actual laser LABORATORY. Losing a REAL laser scientist is a blow to the forums.

A "Dr." could surely understand that. :rolleyes: Hope you can show us your Ph.D buddy.

Last edited:
Frothy was on the way out long before that thread. He was pissed over the forum change over, and many other posts well before he decided to use that thread as an 'out'.

I can respect his knowledge but it was a terrible way to leave. Fact is, nothing we were saying in that post was going to help or hurt Matt in the sense that the FDA case officer, Dan, would come down harder on Matt because of it. From the sounds of it, the FDA was cracking down very hard in the US and Matt happened to be caught up in their sweep. If anything the FDA would be more concerned of his posting history than anything the rest of us were saying (other than to see if anyone else was selling high-power lasers inside the US).

I hope he does reconsider (frothy) and returns but the reality is, there were other bubbling issues happening long before he left. This wasn't a spur of the moment decision and my post and others in that thread were not the cause of his irrational actions.

Sure it would be nice to point a finger and carry pitchforks and torches against a poster or two over this, but the reality is it isn't that cut and dry. Frothy had been bothered long before he decided to leave, and that was caused by many many other things than 1 or 2 posts in Matt's thread.

Last edited:
^You may be right about that bschott. There may have been many factors that led to Frothy's announcement that he will be departing. Unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that his absence will be a noticeable void. As I posted in the FDA letter thread, Frothy has taught me volumes just from reading his posts, and when there is a dispute over facts pertaining to lasers he is usually just about the only person who can set the record truly straight. The situation is very unfortunate, at least to me anyway.