Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FREE DIY open source BOOST driver!!! Tested & working!!

I got the DIY kit of the Ben Boost drivers and it was a real PITA to solder the small components. It is doable but with a lot of patience. Sometimes the solder blob was too big and solder all the legs of the ic together.

I was just like the guy in foulmist avatar. :D

Of course it's doable :p

And I got em for 11 and a half bucks. Complete and ready to ship... Still got about 25 too.

Ok I thinks I got all the parts I need.. I'm having a little trouble figuring out which components have to be put in the correct way. If anyone can give me there expert advice I'd appreciate it... I think it's just the 6pin mosfet chip and the diode? Is that correct? The other chip only can go in 1 way and I dont think it matters for the caps and resistors. or am I totally wrong?

Resistors, just for good looks, need to be put in the same orientation as the text on the PCB so they can be read while rightside up (or is that just me being ADD).

Apart from that, you got the rest all down.

Blord

Here is a picture. Don't mind the sloppy orientation. It looks worse on the macroshot than in reality. :)

BenBoost.jpg

I was driving home today from lunch with my son and my wife and I saw an "ESTATE SALE" sign and as I walked in the garage, I saw a guy coming out of the house with a NICE toaster oven marked $35 firm on it. It looked like a >$100 oven. I was so mad that I missed it by 5 minutes. It had REFLOW OVEN written all over it in my mind!!!

I did get a nice work light for my shop though. :D

Last edited:
I think I got it going to test them out now.. The reflow worked prety good I think.

6900-img-3859.jpg

6899-img-3856.jpg

Now to atatch leads and test em out...:beer:

Woohoo!!! I did it!!! Both Work great! I set 1 with 2 R30's and got 1317ma and set 1 with 1R0 and R75 and got 476ma! I will tell you though that there is very little room for error on this round board i condensed the components to the center as much as I could. It will fit the c6 pill I have but an origional b50 pill would have to be drilled out or it would short the + post. I did my best to get the solder paste on the pads but it was kinda sloppy but it all reflowed and cleaned up nice.

You send me a nice battery contact round board and a box of something fun and I will send you one..:beer: No I only baught 27 to fill a dork board order..:beer: lol Yeah I got a couple maybe..:beer: I baught 27 from dork and 27 of the r6 r11 with OVP.:beer: Unless I buy a projector to harvest from... or spend a couple grand.. I'll never use em.:beer: I like them so I can still sell the LED drivers from the hosts I get rather than ruining a good led driver.:beer::beer: Finally found some casings shells hosts without having to buy a flashlight. I really dont want to get rid of many rounds..:eg: When I went to order from Laen I just asked him how many boards of each of these would fill up a board for him so he could send an order in and I did that it ended up being 27 and 27. but I got my order in and he got the boards made and I had them within 2wks. The file is there why dont you order some? I'll send you a couple I guess I biatched you out for my misteak... :horse:

Thanks.. I duno how I did for sure.. Some of the joints looked like a fluxless joint. I think I pulled it out of the oven a bit too soon... I havent recieved my PID controler relay or thermocouple yet so I tried to fake it... Or I may have baught the wrong solder paste.. I duno.. I think your drivers will arrive tomorrow. I hope so.. I know they are close... I've allready planned on wireing them in Bulgarian colors... hehe.. I was actually amazed that the drivers I made worked... If you soldered that by hand STEEL I auplaud you!!! it took me 30 mins to set the parts in there places for 2 driver. I couldnt make and sell these for a good price.. lol

Thanks.. I duno how I did for sure.. Some of the joints looked like a fluxless joint. I think I pulled it out of the oven a bit too soon... I havent recieved my PID controler relay or thermocouple yet so I tried to fake it... Or I may have baught the wrong solder paste.. I duno.. I think your drivers will arrive tomorrow. I hope so.. I know they are close... I've allready planned on wireing them in Bulgarian colors... hehe.. I was actually amazed that the drivers I made worked... If you soldered that by hand STEEL I auplaud you!!! it took me 30 mins to set the parts in there places for 2 driver. I couldnt make and sell these for a good price.. lol

I reflow them by hand, not in an oven and I make the following. I don't use paste, I use solder wire, tin all the pads, tin all the component pads put some solder paste (but the clear one I don't know how it's called without actual solder in it :D) on the pads and reflow them with hot air station. Reflow takes very little time. ;) And I get to see and align everything with a little push to make sure it's in place ;) I love doing that :crackup:

I also sent you a PM :beer:

Last edited:
I didnt have a template. (I was thinking of a way to make one). I did it all by hand placing the solder paste wiped it off a couple times... First timer...! Jeff sold me some red flux that is apparently used with this but I dont know how to use it.. I read to clean the pads with flux on a swab first so that's what I did with it. I dont know.. lol The drivers work so I guess I did good..

I didnt have a template. (I was thinking of a way to make one). I did it all by hand placing the solder paste wiped it off a couple times... First timer...! Jeff sold me some red flux that is apparently used with this but I dont know how to use it.. I read to clean the pads with flux on a swab first so that's what I did with it. I dont know.. lol The drivers work so I guess I did good..

Yeah if you had stencils it would have been easier to apply the paste :p
Did you see my PM :thinking: :D

Kizdawg, I got my round boards today, but havent gotten my parts yet, can you upload a macro shot of the board? Thanks