Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FP Super 3 amp Test Load

Well I just finished the first new V2.1 Super 3Amp test load and it works great, here is a few pictures.

As you can see there is machining involved and these are very ruggedly made so they are not cheap so think about it, you will never burn it out or need to buy an other load again.

They can take 3 amps all day long and not burn out, if you have a bunch of drivers that can do 4 or 5 amps just put a small fan on the fined part of the heat sink, it can take it :)

The copper heat sink model is $65.00 and the all aluminum heat sink model is $55.00 plus shipping and fees.

Check this link> http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/flaminpyros-stuf-67118.html#post966672

Last edited:

LOL, you tell me not to pass pictures around, and you post it an hour later.

Nice work Jeff.

Yep it dosn't take the rip off artist long to pick up on a good idea and I wanted to be sure this thread was up befor any one else seen them pictures I sent you, besides the pictures I sent you were of a unfinished unit.

Thanks for the compement T_J ;)

LOL, you tell me not to pass pictures around, and you post it an hour later.

Nice work Jeff.

ped

What a piece of work, built one of these using TO220 diodes as well, not nearly as pretty as yours though :)

+free bump.

anselm

Why is everything on this testload so big, and then there's such a tiny resistor?
Looks kinda out of place among all the BIG components.
Not saying it doesn't work fine obviously or anything, but it does look funny!:)

ped

The main resistor is behind the little one, its a ceramic plate resistor.

Last edited:
The parts are big because they have to eat a lot of power and not burn up, the little resistor is a bleed resistor and drains the power from the caps on the driver when the power is turned off so as to help from killing the LD when it's soldered to the driver :D

@ T_J if I put it in a metel enclosure it will cost $10.00 more and I would be glad to do that for anyone who want's it done :)

Why is everything on this testload so big, and then there's such a tiny resistor?
Looks kinda out of place among all the BIG components.
Not saying it doesn't work fine obviously or anything, but it does look funny!:)

Last edited:

anselm

Oh I see, the tiny resistor is just a bleeder, not the main resistor.;)

The other parts being so big I understand completely, my tiny 1N4xxx diode testload
burns your fingers real good on more than 1 A. Almost desoldered itself once.:D:D

Hey FP....
that's one hefty Test Load.......
Nice clean work....:gj:

@T_J.....
please-490.gif
keep the snake in your pants.....:crackup:

Jerry