Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FOR SALE: Stingray II (405nm <253mw [peak])

[edited to added price]

$120 shipped OBO

(I am so sorry; $120 shipped to the continental US. I'll ship overseas, but I'll have to add more for S&H. [I added the price so hastily to my post that I forgot to include that detail.] My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.)

[see original thread below for context]

-----------------------------------------

Back in may of 2009, Milos sold some of his Stingray II builds; (see this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/r...tingray-ii-sale-very-limited-offer-40409.html)

Obviously, I purchased one of the violets. Milos indicated that it peaked at 253 mw. I would imagine that It still operates at/close-to specs (burns the hell out of stuff like when I got it.) I only get it out every two to three months (it seriously spends more time collecting dust.) It's got a focusable beam and an overall awesome build.

---

Anyway, it's been a while since I've been at the forum, and so I honestly don't have any idea how much I could get out of it. I don't want to take the time to upload pictures if the going price has dropped too much for a laser of those specs (I'd just as soon keep it if that's the case.)

But I'll put up videos and pictures right away if the going price is in my alley.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
[edited to add video and picture]

YouTube - Stingray II violet laser

lo-res.jpg

Last edited:

Re: *POSSIBLY* for sale: Stingray II (405nm <253mw [peak])

I remember following Milos' build threads. The stingrays are some of the coolest lasers I've seen and are one of a kind.

Anyone who purchases this would be lucky to get it.
I wouldn't sell it.

DJNY

I never heard form milos before, but wow these builts are awesome!!

IsaacT

That is an awesome host! very nice! How much would you be asking *possibly*?

madog

Sure would be nice to have a rainbow in those hosts!

Gata

I almost bought one when he had them for sale. They are very unique looking hosts in my opinion. I would bet someone around here would pay decently for one.

That is an awesome host! very nice! How much would you be asking *possibly*?
I honestly don't have any clue what a fair asking price is, hence, I'm trying to figure out by starting this this thread. With inexpensive 445nm diodes coming out and 405nm diodes getting cheaper and more powerful, all the while NOT keeping myself up-to-date, I honestly don't know where to start.

In May 2009, I got it from Milos brand-new for around $250. I guess a good place to start is: If Milos were to sell a brand-new and identical build today, I assume it would be less than what I paid, but what would be a fair price? Of course, mine is not brand-new, and so I'll adjust the price according. I just need a fair number to start with. I'm all ears. :)

IsaacT

And I would be all-mouth if I had all-wallet to back it up :( good luck selling it, I am sure it will go fast as that is a very awesome looking laser

ped

Ok just to reca because i havent had enough coffee :D , *might you be selling the violet one thats in the old thread?

Excuse my stupidity :/

Ok just to reca because i havent had enough coffee :D , *might you be selling the violet one thats in the old thread?

Correct. It just depends on the price. As I've written before, I don't know what a laser with its specs would go for TODAY brand-new. A lot can change being out of the laser scene for 16 months; e.g., prices drop, 445nm diodes come out, etc.

I'll have a picture and video up soon. If I feel the fair price (whatever that may be) is worth my while, I'll sell it. OTOH, if the fair price for such a laser has dropped too much from what I paid, then I'll keep it.

ped

Fair enough, look forward to the pics/vids :)

Here is an image:

lo-res.jpg

Here's the the same picture, but hi-res if you prefer.

---

And, of course, a video.

For this video, I light a match at 13 feet. Granted, distance is somewhat irrelevant with a focusable laser, so that shouldn't be impressive, per se. The real feat pulled off was actually getting the focal length to ≈13 feet in order to light the match.

First is the mechanics of focusing the beam. At close range, focusing is a cinch. But at 13 feet, over-turning the focus ring, even an infinitesimally small amount, will make a bigger-than-desired dot. Second is the nature of violet light and human eyes. As I'm sure you all know, violet light is difficult for human eyes to resolve. At 13 feet the laser dot was just a blur to my eyes (even if the focal length is set precisely where it should be, it's still just a blur.) I only got it focused through trial and error. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh1YEJ4VKvY

Last edited:

IsaacT

Gah I want that host so bad! Duel for it? :fightin: I'm just kidding, but why couldn't I have been born a lil richer? ;)