Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

For sale: Diode de-canning tool

I'm selling my Thorlabs diode decanning tool. It is in perfect condition and works flawlessly, it has only been used a few times.

This is not some home made can removal tool. This is the real deal, sold brand new for $140.

It will remove the can from any size laser diode. I've used this to save many diodes which suffered from broken window glass.

If you work with diodes on a regular basis, this is a must-have tool.

I'm looking to get $80 shipped.

Kenom

oh man I want that soooo bad. job... must get a job...

Ya up for trades!??!?! LOL

Thorlabs.com - WR1 Can Opener For Laser Diodes

Here is the link for anyone interested.

Good luck with the sale GooeyGus, it is definitely top of the line equipment. Though a correction on your quoted new price, with the current exchange rate it actually costs ~174$.

Last edited:
It says $131.60.

$ is US...
€ is Euro

It ships from New Jersey.

Well for me it says € 116,90 . Damn European VAT and markup. -.-

Thanks for explaining those funny symbols next to the numbers though. :crackup: :crackup: :beer:

Last edited:

Kenom

well the link isn't from .com it's from .de

how about a 30W 808 in trade?

or a laser driver capable of 30A

I HAD a decanning tool and LOVED IT!!!! i saved SO many 16x reds and PHR that had broken windows, about 2 months back, i bought a lot of 16x reds (15 pcs) and PHR's (5pcs) all of them simply had a smashed, or missing window.

I decanned them all, and 12 out of the 15 reds worked GREAT, and all the PHR's survived! they focus a bit differently now, a few had strange beam outputs, probably from being knocked around.

But this tool is AWSOME, if i remember right, you can de-can a diode, and allow the lens to get closer to the actual emission point. never had a Laserbee back then, so i couldnt tell you if they got more power out of them this way or not, but i've hard in certain scenarios, a de-canned diode is desireable. maybe even necisarry, ecspecially if using special optics. mayne you have a real good lens of some kind, but you cant get it close enough to the emmision point (sort of how some acrylic lenses need the ring removed for blu-ray diodes, or they wont focus all the way to infinity) this would solve your issue, as well as possibly upping the power output.

But as someone above mentioned, it makes the inner parts of the diode succeptable to dust and whatnot, as all the guts are exposed. i think thats all the can is originaly for, to keep particulate matter, and other debris out.

Someone should snag this soon before it's gone, for $IPPED thats a steal! i've seen $300 de-canners before, and they cost so much because they decanned all sizes of diodes, and this one does the same thing!!! big money saver if your in the market. and these things last too, the blades are quite hard to ware out, never had an issue with mine, but i sold it a few months back, now im wishing i hadnt :(

Best of luck, hope it sells friend, i think Kenom could get the most use out of it, he does allot of work with diodes, more than most of us i would assume.

Tyler - Dark Lasers

Krutz

surely worth its price for someone who routinely builds lasers!
decanning doesnt add too much for visible laserdiodes, except when the window is already lose, broken or dirty. there wont be more than 0.5mm space you can gain, totally irrelevant for collimating it with a lens, there wont be any lens up for that for us (GRIN lenses come closest, if any).
you may gain a lot with pumpdiodes, however! the closer you come to the crystal the better! the difference between 0.5mm and 0.1mm distance (dont touch it!) may be double the (green) output, since its so nonlinear and depends on energydensity only! the o-like modules are 9mm cans (without window, but with a can). if you de-can it and maybe manage to reduce the distance it could be much worth the effort. it is all enclosed by the module and crystal too, contamination shouldnt be a problem..

manuel

wow, someone should try that! try it on a cheap 30mW o-like and see what you can get out of it!

Someone needs to snatch this tool up quick! what a find! I wish i had the need for it :(

Tyler - Dark Lasers

daguin

If Ken can't swing it, I'll take it. We can at least keep it close ;)

Peace,
dave