Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

focusing a Sanwu 445nm, 3000mw

Frank T

I just received a Sanwu blue, 445nm, 3000mw laser today.

When I focus it, ...it's either a dot or it goes to a large rectangle in either direction very quickly. Is this normal for this laser? With my Dragon Laser 2X beam expander, it reduces it to a nice small beam.....
does this laser require that I buy their beam expander to get the type of tight beam that we are all looking for??

Snecho

It would really help if you could provide a picture for it...

Frank T

I don't beleive that a picture of a rectangle will be that helpful.....in addition to the lack of ability to form a tighter focal point, my other disappointment is that my existing 200mw green laser can easily pop a black balloon. The new 3000mw blue laser just puts a small, square dot onto it's surface.....I really expected a lot more. I purchased the unit from Sanwu based upon the rave reviews of Sanwu on this web site. It's their $100.00, 3000mw, 445nm laser. At a supposed 15X the wattage of my 200mw unit, where's the power?????

It can be focused to infinity and have a rectangle shaped output. If focusing down to the shape of a dot, it is still really a rectangle, just that it is so small and bright you cannot see it well, but in that case, it won't be at infinity focus.

Frank T

It's not so much the shape but the lack of power and the size of the smallest dot that I can get it to focus too....I have a 200mw green unit that can easily pop a black balloon, this new 3000mw unit can not....that does not seem correct....

GSS

Is this 3W unit in a 303, 304 style host?
It should pop a darkish balloon instant at 3W.. Are you using 2 battery's?

Hi, All of your Muti mode diodes can use a BE of either 3X or 10X power to reduce the bar that the MM diode projects. The single mode diodes are better for divergence but much less powerful. In the diode world its give and take and not all diodes perform the same.
Rich:)

Frank T

Is this 3W unit in a 303, 304 style host?
It should pop a darkish balloon instant at 3W.. Are you using 2 battery's?
It's supposed to be a 304 housing. It requires 2, 16340 batteries....Until they arrive, I am using CR123a batteries......same voltage....could that be the issue???

Snecho

It's supposed to be a 304 housing. It requires 2, 16340 batteries....Until they arrive, I am using CR123a batteries......same voltage....could that be the issue???
CR123A batteries do not have the same voltage. 16340s have a nominal voltage of 3.7V and a max charge voltage of 4.2V.

CR123As only have 3V no matter what.

However, depending on the driver, that may or may not be the issue. What I was talking about with the picture is a picture of the actual laser, not the dot. The dot picture would help too though.

Frank T

CR123A batteries do not have the same voltage. 16340s have a nominal voltage of 3.7V and a max charge voltage of 4.2V.

However, depending on the driver, that may or may not be the issue. What I was talking about with the picture is a picture of the actual laser, not the dot. The dot picture would help too though.

Attachments

• 20191103_184353.jpg
    20191103_184353.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 21

Snecho

Nice!

Yep ok, so that isn't a 304 host. That's a Thor M2 host from laserpointerstore the "original source" of these kind of lasers. You can see it here: https://laserpointerstore.com/laser-pointers/by-brands/thor-lasers/thor-m-2-laser-pointer

The Thor M2 3W is an ok laser if bought from laserpointerstore. That one appears to be rebranded and sold by Sanwu. Who knows what kind of modifications or what they did to it.

Technically, CR123As shouldn't affect the power but again, maybe they changed out the driver. I could probably tell you the power if you can take a picture of it pointed at a wall in a dimly lit room. Either way, the true way to use and test the laser would be to use the 16340 batteries once they arrive. 😀

Frank T

Well, I already contacted them regarding my dissatisfaction....I will wait for the 16340s to arrive, try it out then see where I am with it all.....

Snecho

Well, I already contacted them regarding my dissatisfaction....I will wait for the 16340s to arrive, try it out then see where I am with it all.....
Alrighty, good luck.

This is a 2 watt blue and it will pop a balloon instantly.
At what distance are you attempting to pop your balloons ?
The multi mode blues have much higher divergence than your dpss 532nm but at 10 feet or less it should be no trouble.

Frank T

Toward the end of this week, I should have the 16340 batteries for this laser....I will re-try everything with them and then decide if I got screwed over buying this thing from Sanwu.....I have been using non-rechargeable CR123a's while waiting for the 16340sw to arrive....maybe they ren't powerful enough??

Snecho

Toward the end of this week, I should have the 16340 batteries for this laser....I will re-try everything with them and then decide if I got screwed over buying this thing from Sanwu.....I have been using non-rechargeable CR123a's while waiting for the 16340sw to arrive....maybe they ren't powerful enough??
Dear, I have literally told you the answer to that question in my previous posts.