Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Focalprice tells me to take laser to a "Laser Repair Shop"...

Provided for some entertainment and a light Sunday-night read. :)

So... it was only $14; When I ordered the 50mW focalprice laser that was reviewed here, that one arrived fine. I also ordered one of the smaller 30mW ones though (also around $14) -- and it was DOA.

So, I did Focalprice's RMA thing:

me said:
Order ID: ######

Complaint Type:
Return Reason: Functional Defect

Tell us more:
I got this laser today -- it appears physically fine, but no matter what batteries I use (2xAA, many tried) -- it will not produce any laser light.

I really just would like to get a working one. (I have many more things on order with Focalprice and will continue to be a customer!)

I can send a photo/video of it not working if you like. (Would you prefer photos or video? If a video, how would you prefer I upload?)

Response from Focalprice:

Focalprice said:
Please upload picture of the item to continue the RMA!

Me said:
Here are two pictures of the laser, as requested. I can upload video or more pictures , showing it not working when batteries are put in, and button is pressed, if you wish.

Thank you

.. So far so good --- now it starts going downhill.

Focalprice said:
Dear customer,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Is the batteries put in correct order? Pls advise. Thanks!

Sincerely yours’
Nicholas

Me said:
Yes.

I am certain the batteries are in the correct order.

I am actually very experienced in inserting batteries. I have been doing it for years. I am quite adept at it, and would rate myself as nearly an expert at inserting batteries, and resolving mis-insertion of batteries.

I have checked many new batteries, as well, both orientations (all that would fit) -- I have tried every possible way except the wrong ways -- nothing will make it light.

It was like this the moment I got it out of the box.

... and then...

Focalprice said:
Dear customer,

Sorry for this problem.

Would you please take it to the repair shop for Lasers to find out the problem?
We could refund you part of the repairing fee if we confirm this item are defective.

Sincerely yours’
Helen

Me said:
Uhh, excuse me?

I don''t think any "repair shops for lasers" exist? Anywhere?

I wouldn''t even begin to know where to look for a "Laser Repair Shop".

Nevermind one that wouldn't laugh at me for trying to repair a $14 item?

I don't really think this is a feasible path to go down?

(Actually, that's not true. Laser repair shops do exist, but I really wonder what Evergreen Laser would say to me if I sent them a $14 focalprice pointrer. And asked them to optimize and align it. Maybe next April 1.)

Yeah, its $14. Big deal. Really, at that price, the replacement option is "just order another one and hope."

I don't really care what happens. I just was kind of incredulous at this string of events. If anything, maybe its some entertainment for folks. And maybe warning people off of ordering high price items from them. :) Stick with the cheap stuff when it comes to Focalprice....

I've heard that people have actually gotten replacements from FP though! If so, how did you do it? At $14, it's not worth it to send the thing back. And honestly, I don't expect them to send me another one. I was a bit of a smartass about the batteries, so I probably deserve what I get. :)

Maybe I need to open a laser repair shop.

Last edited:

there were a few people that had problems with focalprice if i remember correctly.

Oh I know, heh, and I knew the chance I was taking. Just was an interesting comment for them to make.

Trevor

ILSHMSFOAIDMT.

(I laughed so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco.)

-Trevor

Ha! That's absurd.

I love your response:
"I have tried every possible way except the wrong ways"

I would tell them you are a member of a very Large Laser Forum (Link It) and
that you will let all the Members know of Focalprice's lack of a replacement
policy on defective Lasers they ship out....

Jerry

I would tell them you are a member of a very Large Laser Forum (Link It) and
that you will let all the Members know of Focalprice's lack of a replacement
policy on defective Lasers they ship out....

Jerry

Well, Jerry, that did it. I linked to this thread specifically, and now they're sending out a replacement.

Thanks for the advice and -- honestly, probably a good demonstration to other LPF members.

Thanks.

Sweet! The power LPF! That approach didn't come to mind. Good to try if /when I need it.

The Chinese business community is very $$$ minded...
and there is untapped $$$ potential on the forum...:cool:

Jerry

Provided for some entertainment ... Maybe I need to open a laser repair shop.

Lol, thanks, I really enjoyed that :crackup:

Lazors-R-Us service and repair shop
"We can fix damned near anything - hell, we'll even fix yer new FocalPrice laser"

Sigh. Fact is, I even got DX to work with me which means Focalprice has already lost one potential customer with that really ridiculous reply (namely, yours truly)...