Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flux Recommendation?

lazer

I bought some flux on the forums here awhile ago and it worked great but now I am out. The syringe didn't have a name on it or anything so I don't know what company made it. It worked really well with surface mount soldering and non-surface mount. It was a no-clean kind. Do you guys have any recommendations for some really good flux?

Last edited:

lazer

Thanks! I was looking for that thread. Which company/brand is that flux? That's what I was trying to figure out. Is it amtech or kester?

Last edited:

AnthoT

Lol it's flaminpyro's,

Also I use it and it's great :beer:

AnthoT

Seriously? I thought he bought them in bulk and repackaged them into those cute little applicators!

Cheers!
I'm not sure what he does, but the tack version for SMD parts is amazing, best for all SMD, :) I haven't tried the other one though.

I use FP's flux on difficult connections.. It work great.

It doesn't matter where he got it... that's his trade secret...
Just like his High Quality Silicone wire...

The price he sells his stuff for is very reasonable so I can't
see a reason to need to know his suppliers...:beer:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Yup, I heard lots of good reviews about the flux.

I have never used flux of any type before, so I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to do. Some researching told me that it's supposed to eat away the oxidized metal. :huh:

I guess I'll try it out sometime. :)

AnthoT

Yup, I heard lots of good reviews about the flux.

I have never used flux of any type before, so I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to do. Some researching told me that it's supposed to eat away the oxidized metal. :huh:

I guess I'll try it out sometime. :)

It helps the solder flow where you want it, so you apply some where you want solder to go then solder it will flow better there ;)
The SMD style flux is tacky so it holds the components in place aswell ;)

I see, thanks for the response! I'll definitely have to use it.

How long do you usually use a 1mL or 3mL of flux? A milileter doesn't sound like a lot.

Cheers!

AnthoT

I see, thanks for the response! I'll definitely have to use it.

How long do you usually use a 1mL or 3mL of flux? A milileter doesn't sound like a lot.

Cheers!

I bought 1mm. It's working for me ;) haven't run out yet

You can get a whole can at the hardware store for a few dollars, and it lasts for years.

For wires, just dip the ends in the can. For areas you can't dip, use a small paint brush for application. It doesn't dry out so you can leave it sitting out.

AnthoT

You can get a whole can at the hardware store for a few dollars, and it lasts for years.

For wires, just dip the ends in the can. For areas you can't dip, use a small paint brush for application. It doesn't dry out so you can leave it sitting out.

Yeah I use that type when for plumbing, when you have to solder the copper pipes, I haven't tried it on electronics yet

Nice! I'll grab some by a store.

Have you used FP's flux as well? Do you know how it compares?

If it's worth the price, I might get some of FP's magical stuff as well.

Cheers!

Bah, flux is flux. It all works well. FP's stuff is >10 times the price. If it is better, it's certainly not 10 times better.

Flux is made of cheap and plentiful materials so there's no reason to doubt even the cheap stuff. Is a $7 box of saltines better than a $1 box of saltines? Probably not.

Last edited: